It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Board Actvity Stats Inaccurate?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
Look, 249,000 points is the average for each member, so something has to be wrong with the points counter.

Did you read what RANT said? Paid about 100,000 out in purchases, and that's just one member. People buy things like crazy.

Also, I just checked. If you take the average amount of points per post, it would seem there are over 2,000 points per post earned. Except, there are a lot of posts in RATS, DISC, Cosmic, and Trash as well, which probably make up for a lot of the shortcomings.

If the numbers aren't working out, you're usually counting wrong.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
The "detailed analysis" of the ATS Points Market conducted by MA Corruption Prevention Inc (Points Audit Services Division) three months ago led me to conclude that as a result of hyperinflation and the production of endless paper (cyber) money with NO real asset (post) backing, that this market is in very much the same position as the Federal Reserve: poked.

There are not 3.7 billion ATS points, it's imaginary. Glad there are others who notice!

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Submitting to ATSNN: Use the submission form in your member center to submit articles to ATSNN.com or TerrorAnalysis.com. Each reply to your accepted news submission earns 10 points, and an accepted submission earns 750 ATS points.

Receiving Applause: Our staff has the ability to applaud posts we feel offer an excellent contribution to the discussion, or our community. You earn 250 points for each applause you receive.

Participating in research, fiction, and debates: These generally earn very high points, as each post in a debate can be worth 250 points, or more if you win your debate.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ There are few posts like the ones above, so even though they account for a large porsion of the ATS points given out, they are few by number of instances compare to the rest of the total posts, which can be seen here:

ATSNN News Forum.................... reply = 50 post = 10
Collaborative Fiction............... reply = 20 post = 250
Debate.............................. reply = 20 post = 250
Short Stores........................ reply = 5 post = 250
War on Terrorism.................... reply = 15 post = 10
Politics & Scandals................. reply = 10 post = 5
Other Current Events................ reply = 15 post = 10
Research Projects................... reply = 25 post = 50
Website Related Discussion.......... reply = 5 post = 5
Aliens & UFOs....................... reply = 15 post = 10
Secret Societies.................... reply = 15 post = 10
New World Order..................... reply = 15 post = 10
Military & Gov. Facilities.......... reply = 15 post = 10
Military & Gov. Projects............ reply = 15 post = 10
Weaponry............................ reply = 5 post = 5
Education & Media................... reply = 15 post = 10
Science & Technology................ reply = 25 post = 15
Aircraft............................ reply = 15 post = 10
Space Exploration................... reply = 25 post = 15
Ancient & Lost Civilizations........ reply = 15 post = 10
Crypto-zoology...................... reply = 15 post = 10
Medial Issues....................... reply = 15 post = 10
Conspiracies in Religion............ reply = 1 post = 1
Paranormal Studies.................. reply = 5 post = 5
Predictions......................... reply = 1 post = 1
Deny Ignorance Steering Committee... reply = 5 post = 25
SETI @ Home......................... reply = 15 post = 10

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Also, I just checked. If you take the average amount of points per post, it would seem there are over 2,000 points per post earned.

Yes I have noticed the same thimg, but there are actually about 3,500 ATS points given out PER post that that is not in BTS or ID. So how is it possiable to have 3,500 ATS points per post when the most you can have is 750? Also most post are not in ATSNN or in debates, but under the forums stated above. So most of the 3.7 billion points CAN NOT be accounted for, I doubt even 10% of the total are accountable.

[edit on 5-5-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I don't think you will ever figure it out -- you will just lose sleep over it. But you forget we have many people who have submitted 50 to over 100 ATSNN articles and I think that when you reply to a ATSNN thread you get 10 points but the person who wrote it gets 50 points for each reply.

And some banned members had tons of points plus they had lost points I am sure for warnings etc. in addition to buying things in the ATS Store.

But now you have me curious -- what do you do or what is your chosen field that numbers are so important. Not meaning it as a slam -- really just curious. A love of numbers like that has to be good for some profession that probably earns lots of money.

[edit on 5-5-2005 by justme1640]

sorry if I could get a coherent thought put together it would be great -

[edit on 5-5-2005 by justme1640]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Numbers are fun.

Also, the ability to know when people are lying with statistics is important to any investigation. It's your "duty" as an ATS member to deny ignorance of numbers.

I think the banned members are all considered before stating the huge overstatement discrepancy in the ATS Points Market. Throw in ten times the banned members, and you still have a massive overstatement.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Numbers are fun.

Also, the ability to know when people are lying with statistics is important to any investigation. It's your "duty" as an ATS member to deny ignorance of numbers.

I think the banned members are all considered before stating the huge overstatement discrepancy in the ATS Points Market. Throw in ten times the banned members, and you still have a massive overstatement.

Hehe always MA to the rescue. Your right, the number is way to large and I just did my part as a fellow ATS member to point it out.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
when you reply to a ATSNN thread you get 10 points but the person who wrote it gets 50 points for each reply.

I bet that's more of it. Each time someone replies to a thread of yours, you get a certain amount of points, as you posted bSF.

WATS
Applause
Replies to threads
Banned Members
Random toying done by mods (
)
Anything else?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Actually... there was an error in the points database.

There were several hundred records that seemed to be a result of some bad code... each record had 173330 points... thereby jacking up the total something fierce!

It's fixed now.

As far as the other stats, this info will help:

Threads and posts in the trash are not counted.
Banned members are not counted.
"Denied" members will soon not be counted (never got around to alterning the code).
Members posting and visiting is easy (time stamps)

Move along now... nothing to see here.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I stand corrected!

Given the new numbers:
Total ATS Posts:  1003987
Total ATS Points:  16977181

The average is roughly 17 points per post, which is pretty perfect. Thank SO, and good catch!

[edit on 5/5/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Thanks SO for instituting the forces of market correction.

High-fives the astute and tenacious beyondSciFi also.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
Maybe you forgot about this...

Originally posted by SimonGray
We've seen a recent rash of new one-line responses to posts that add nothing to the flow of discussion.

One Line or less Responses or "me too" atta-boy comments contribute nothing to the discussion. These include rows of smilies, "you're wrong", or other similar short responses.

Each mod has the ability to apply nominal points warnings (20 points) for both of these minor board infractions. Please help us maintain the best discussion board possible by considering your responses in both content and length.

Unfortunately, those of you who have fallen into these habits, may get a few warnings in your U2U In Box. These warnings are not full Staff Warnings, but provide you with a link to your one-line post.

Please help keep ATS quality at its highest.

[Edited on 16-5-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

Please post something that is a little long and has more meaning to it. I really what to hear what other members/Mods/admins have to say about this. No offense D9.

[edit on 5-5-2005 by beyondSciFi]

Don't be so bloody stupid. You're also being a suck up. Do you want more substance?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Actually... there was an error in the points database.

There were several hundred records that seemed to be a result of some bad code... each record had 173330 points... thereby jacking up the total something fierce!

It's fixed now.

As far as the other stats, this info will help:

Threads and posts in the trash are not counted.
Banned members are not counted.
"Denied" members will soon not be counted (never got around to alterning the code).
Members posting and visiting is easy (time stamps)

Move along now... nothing to see here.

Woot way to go SO! I knew there was something funky with the stats. Great to see that the problems are now fixed.

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Thanks SO for instituting the forces of market correction.

High-fives the astute and tenacious beyondSciFi also.

Thanks MA, just doing my part to help contribute to ATS.
Although the credit should go to SO, after all, I just pointed out some problems, he was the one that actually fix them.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join