It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Secrecy, Lies and Propaganda Sweeping the U.S.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by dirk dYou have a great point about propaganda in the media but I think the real problem is the media's lack of real research work these days.

That's not the problem, if they wanted to, they have the resources to research a good deal of things. The problem is their lack of researching things that make the gov look bad. Just take a look at all of the 'intervention', to put it nicely, we did in central america, hardly any of it was ever publisized, because it would look bad. The basic problem is that the media is the government's lap dog. A parrot if you will, repeating the phrases of their government(read corporate) masters. Until this changes we will not have a democracy. One of the keys of a democracy is for the public to be honestly informed so that they can make meaningfull decisions. This is not the case in america. I don't know what kind of government we have, but it is not a true democracy. In my opionion, it is not a representative democracy either, as I don't see where the representative part comes in (getting to pick between two sides of the same coin!). I don't know what we've got, maybe a corporate facist state with a frontend facade of democracy? Please don't jump on me for that last statement, as im half kidding, although we are on the way there.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
This is ridiculous. The press here is completely free to report on anything they can find out.less free IMHO.

Your right. They are free to report on whatever they want. But they don't. Finding out why they seem to always miss news about americans killing 100s to thousands in central america or our imperial interventions in many third world countries is the key to the puzzle. The reason they don't report these things is not because they aren't allowed to, its because it isn't in their interests. A dog learns early on not to bite his master. Look beyond the standard propaganda sources to find out what is really going on. I suggest you start by reading about american foreign policy in central america for starters. Once you realize the atrocities we have commited there, you will start to ask yourself why we americans barely even know about it (although we have been there since well before the 80s). Once you ask that question you can start looking for an answer, but i warn you must decide which color pill you wan't to take, because after this point it isn't pretty. That's all.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar

Insofar as you quoted Chirac in "evidence" of the "evidences" about which he provided his non-comment, if that is the strength of your "evidence" and "argument" then there was nothing to destroy.

But I know how much it means in the art of Bush sycophancy and defence of the indefensible... Freedom Straws are important to clutch at.

Entrapment is a funny game, but it is of the soul and not the mind.

Let me turn around your own argument...
Insofar as trying to find the reason for your flowery exchange of words which are the ones that are really not saying anything at all, and because you are not even providing one single piece of evidence, instead trying to justify your own deluded illusions, and obviously by the lack of a point in that verbal exchange of nothingness on your part, shows that the intent of you using these excessive extravagant words is just an attempt at trying to feed your own sense of grandieur....while providing no real point at all...

Anyways, you are obviously, and for some reason, not even mentioning every other piece of evidence i have given....and yet you try to destroy my argument by presenting no proof and instead trying to claim that Chirac did not say anything in that quote....

Who is making an attempt at clutching at straws here?.....

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trustnone
"Are you comparing industrialized, Western America - the home of the free and brave, to a developing country in the Middle East when it comes to your standard of press freedom and free speech? This report never claimed that Iran was ahead of the U.S. when it comes to press freedom. In fact this article has nothing to do with Iran. "

Ohh, I see you have a double standard when it comes to Iran. :shk:

How do you come to that conclusion based on what I've said in quotes above??

I can't see the relation between me having a double standard about Iran and my opinion that the U.S. as a democratic, developed, Western nation does not deserve to be compared to Iran in regards to press freedom and ethics. Nor does Iran deserve to be compared to the U.S. in this regards. It's just as appropriate of a comparison as to compare the amount of rainfall in the Amazon with that of Southern California on an extra dry summer.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
This is ridiculous. The press here is completely free to report on anything they can find out. But they aren't entitled to get secret information from the government nor are they entitled to a special constitutional exemption from our laws.

Oh, well thank you for informing us about that! I thought they were entitled to recieve secret information from the government, and that they were exempt from constitutional laws!

Keep up the good work impressing me like this!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
You obviously haven't read your own article but those are two of the three things they list: Government secrecy and forcing the revealing of sources in criminal trials.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Who cares?

We NEED to be lied to in the US! Don't you see; the govt and media realize that, but we don't. They only do it for our own good.

We don't need to hear every single "suspect" or "dirty" thing our govt is involved in. You gotta be dirty to get results sometimes; you just lie in public and pretend like you're doing everything by the book. If the public doesn't know that the govt may be crooked, we won't question our govt and get in their way.

I LIKE propaganda, I LIKE being lied to! If you're a true American, you like it too...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
ColonelForbin:

I would have to agree with you on the outcome of our current state. The problem here is the means. Its not as simple as you would make it out to be. Yes the media sings a far right song but it can and will go the other way soon. Both sides hide the truth, that is, we can control anything with involement. The media machine needs you to be cut off from your local issues and see problems as too big for just one person to deal with. If they cant keep you down you wont watch.

Its no big secert most in the public arent that far left or right, but if we are told we are, we are divided up and powerless. I would agree after the rearanging of the FCC many major networks are on one side now, but that will change. He who spends the money gets on TV. Most reporters arent willing trying to mislead the public, but keep them in fear.

Last, this trend has been goin on since the 50s. It lost some power in the 60s and 70s and thus the activist movements. It is moving back to a major controlling power again. People will fight it, once we see that we are working more and making less, thing will change. Dont give up on the power of human nature. I hope someday we just walk away from our lifestyle. I call the problem, " the blue and white glow that killed the front porch." When we find your friends and co worker more important than the fickin TV we might get somewhere.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join