It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Explosion At British Consulate In New York

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:57 AM
link   
An explosion outside the British Consulate in New York at 3.35am local time today shattered windows but otherwise caused little damage. Police say they have found fragments of an explosive device and the area has been cordoned off. The UK Foreign Office says it is aware of the reports and is investigating.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Police say they have found fragments of an explosive device after a blast outside the UK consulate in New York.

The early morning explosion shattered windows in the building, which also houses other offices, but there were no reports of people being injured

"There was an explosion in front of the location at 3.35am [0735 GMT]," a spokesman for the New York Police Department said.

"It was detonated in one of the cement flower boxes used as a barrier outside the building.

"There was some damage to the front window but there are no reports of any injuries at this stage."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The device is being reported as a grenade. Some sources are reporting two explosions, though others say witnesses mistook the echo for another explosion.

Related News Links
www.timesonline.co.uk...
www.usatoday.com...
news.scotsman.com...

[edit on 5-5-2005 by kegs]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
This is probably just a gas leak or some other accident, I'm in New York and the local channels are hardly even mentioning it as of yet.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Must be A-rabs...can't be anything else. And even if someones says it's a gas explosion, my sense of complete, unshakeable fear will not be lessened one iota.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I guess it was the Arabs...an explosive device was found according to the BBC. Weird, still don't see any report here, all they're talking about is the weather and the runaway bride...

It could be related to the British elections I guess.

[edit on 5/5/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:15 AM
link   
There were two explosions.
They occured 03.44 local time.

link   
Might be homemade pipe bomb made by some idiots.

Might be a link to the British voting today though, yeah.

link   
It is pretty strange if they're not reporting it in New York yet. I suppose it must be connected to the election, though you'd think it would have done here if that was the case.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   
NBC 4 is finally covering it, they say it's a grenade...

Police say it was only one explosion, witnesses heard an echo.

Link: www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   
today.reuters.co.uk...

I think the words getting out now.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Cool...it's new modus operandi for hitmen...a drive-by grenading.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Whoever did it, it appears to be very unsophisticated. Probably a handmade grenade with just black powder and lit manually with a conventional fuse according to what I'm hearing now on TV.

Now they're saying there may in fact have been two similar devices detonated in the same concrete planter.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
A MANUALLY LIT FUSE!!!

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
CNN is reporting that the number three man in Al queida that was arrested
had been in contact with opratives in NYC, so this may be an attack by al quieda hoping to influence the Britsh election as they did in Spain.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
If you ask me, its pretty simple - One must provide constant level of Fear in order to persue and maintain the current role of War against Terror.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Two small for terrorists if you ask me, and it happened in NYC on the eve of an election. Just some young and not too bright punk trying to prove what a hardcore anarchist he is. I'll stake my already insignificant reputation on it.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
CNN is reporting that the number three man in Al queida that was arrested
had been in contact with opratives in NYC, so this may be an attack by al quieda hoping to influence the Britsh election as they did in Spain.

If so, it was the most pathetic attack in the history of terrorism

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
There were two explosions.
They occured 03.44 local time.

I have heard the same thing regarding the time, which makes me wonder if the BBC who broke the news had inside info this was going to happen since the story was released so fast. Also Kegs fast response in posting it here only 13 minutes after it happens makes me wonder if he was aware this was going to happen

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Source

Homemade grenades made out of toy fruit with blackpowder and manual fuses. Caused little damage.

It should also be noted that the British Consualte is only on the 9th and 10th floors of the building. I'm betting that it was related to the protests for the economic firm if it wasn't just a few jerks having fun. I'm not seeing anything to make me think it's related to the elections. I really don't think this is "TA ALARM!!!1111 OMG ZERG RUSH" worthy

EDIT: Hunting Veritas, coudl you mask that link please? If's effing with the thread layout something fierce.

[edit on 5-5-2005 by Esoterica]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Anytime a pair of bombs go off in NYC its a terrorism alarm. it'd be rather odd if the target wasn't the UK Consulate, which just so happened to be in that building and the brits just so happened to be having national elections.

The devices were apparently novelty metal 'grenades', filled with black powder and lit.

How's blair et al faring in the election now, British ATSers??

There's no reason to think that this is 'arabs', indeed, there's simply not enough information right now. Could be IRA, could be Jihadis, could be extremists from the British Nationalist party too. The fact that it was apparently 'timed' so as to go off when there really wasn't anyone around is interesting. I'd've thought that al qaida could be more sophisticated. However, since it was 'two grenades', that itself sounds like the dual attack method of al qaida. Coincidentally, a BTO in al qaida was just rounded up by the Paks.

newswww.bbc.net.uk...]Here is a link to a previous deadly attack on the UK Consulate in Turkey, where al qaida linked groups claimed responsibility.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Hunting Veritas, coudl you mask that link please? If's effing with the thread layout something fierce.

I would but the edit button has gone, sorry. I'm pretty sure a mod can help though.

How's blair et al faring in the election now, British ATSers??

Can we have ATS as our government, things would be so much more fun maybe we can take over the world before the NWO.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join