It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Houston Police Run Over Purse Snatching Suspect

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard
good.....
Well done, stand him back up and do it again !

HAHAHAHA...thats what I say. Run the MFer over again and again.
Too bad he was'nt hit at 70 mph and than we coulda watched his worthless body go flying into the wash.

Maximu§

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Zipdot, the video of the incident was quite graphic and was all over the national news, I don't think this is an everyday happening. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the footage online.

If you go to the article linked in the first post, there is a short video of it. It's called ABC13 report.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qwas
First of all, I'm glad the cop got his man.

Second, the cop should be ticketed and assigned desk duty temporarily for "following too close for present road conditions". After all, if it was you or me, we would get such a ticket. The cop should be given one too.

As for all of you congratulating the cop, his job is to ENFORCE the law and not hand out sentencing. That is why we have a Judicial branch of government. I agree, accidents can and do happen. But this cop should be ticketed just as he would do to any civilian.

Huh...yea...because "any civilian" would have went after a purse snatcher and risked his life...yea...the cop chose to chase this guy and follow for no reason...
...youre not making any sense...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:19 AM
link   

good.....

The evil that bred Abu graib are rampant in the pigland home called amreika. This person is considered "innocent?" until trial so why the hate?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bush43

good.....

The evil that bred Abu graib are rampant in the pigland home called amreika. This person is considered "innocent?" until trial so why the hate?

another one with twisted reasoning...there was probable cause an arrest (im assuming)...no-one said he was absolutely guilty...just guilty enough to chase and apprehend...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I have absolutely no sympathy for the perp....hes running and hes guilty..his actions threatend the lives of other people in the pursuit...Its not enough that by accident hes run over, but that the officer involved will have to live with the stress and the media coverage who will automatically condem him...The s.o.b deserves to pay for the panel work and a new bumper for the patrol car....

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Did you check out the archives of police cases from the Houston ABC affiliate?

The captions of this one are pretty good.

I won't spoil it, you have to read them yourself.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
"The chasing police car wasn't able to stop "

they should have backed over him a few times for good measure.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Did you check out the archives of police cases from the Houston ABC affiliate?

The captions of this one are pretty good.

I won't spoil it, you have to read them yourself.

I've lived in Houston for several years... I had no idea that our own beloved Marvin Zindler's reporting inspired the movie The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. Nowadays all he ever does is tell us which restaurants have cockroaches and slime in the ice machine... Ya learn something new everyday...

Zip

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by HowardRoark
Why?

Like it has been pointed out, the crime escalated when the criminal attempted to flee the police, thus putting the lives of inocent civilians in jepordy.

you can't prove that the cop deliberately ran over him.

That is a pretty poor excuse. A purse snatching does NOT justify potentially lethal force. The hit was as deliberate as me firing a gun off into a crowd. Maybe I didn't mean to hit a particular person but I absolutely didn't avoid hitting anyone. The guy didn't dodge in front of the car. It looks pretty obvious the hit was intentional. This is the weakness of the mob mentality. Lives of civilians aren't in jeopardy. The only one that put anyone in jeopardy was the cop. This is the same a** backwards mentality that people use to justify torture by our troops in Iraq and Cuba. That idea that maybe they know something that could help us. Why not just get rid of all civil order. Is that what you guys want? Sure seems that way.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Indy, you aren't getting it. During the pursuit, a wrong move by this particular felon could have resulted in a pedestrian being run over, or worse yet, a catastrophic car crash. THAT is endangering lives, is it not?

Quit taking potshots at the police. It's nothing like Cuba or Iraq.

DE

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Why Reading The Article Is A Good Idea

For the link-clicking impaired:

From the source article:
Both suspects are facing several charges, including aggravated robbery and felony evading arrest.
Authorities believe the minivan the suspects were in may be stolen.

Originally posted by Indy
That is a pretty poor excuse. A purse snatching does NOT justify potentially lethal force. The hit was as deliberate as me firing a gun off into a crowd.

The facts of this case are worthwhile contributions to the discussion.

False assumptions and ignorant slander are not.

Your opinion will get no more respect from me than you give it yourself.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   
the guys lucky he got caught here, don't they still cut the hands off of theives in the muslim world ?

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeusEx
Indy, you aren't getting it. During the pursuit, a wrong move by this particular felon could have resulted in a pedestrian being run over, or worse yet, a catastrophic car crash. THAT is endangering lives, is it not?

Quit taking potshots at the police. It's nothing like Cuba or Iraq.

DE

You are trying to justify assault with a deadly weapon on a purse snatcher for what COULD happen. Why not just shoot the guy and get it over with? Maybe we can do that with people that speed in their cars. Just shoot them because they could cause a crash. Sorry but this type of misuse of force just doesn't cut it.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yeah, so felony evading at home many miles an hour along packed city streets isn't a danger to the people? Stealing cars isn't dangerous? You're entitled to you opinions, sure. You live in your padded-glove world, and hope criminals and the real world don't intrude. Fact of the matter is that this guy was recklessly endangering lives over a minor offence, and police put a stop to that.

You have no reasonable excuse to slander the police. You're dramatizing a nudge with a car into a huge production.

DE

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:18 PM
link   
All those saying that the purse snatcher was endangering lives by running...

What about the cop who endangered lives by his actions behind the wheel of an automobile? The purse snatcher is expected to run, and the cop is expected to follow, they were both doing their 'job' in that regard. The difference is, the cop is behind the wheel of an automobile, several thousand pounds of metal and explosive gasoline. His number one priority while behind the wheel should be the safety of the citizens he was tasked to protect.

And those saying they should have backed over him again...

I just hope you understand one day the nature of guilt and innocence, and maybe learn some respect for this system of justice that has served us so well. What you're asking, is for the police to attack innocent people, with their cars, and without regard for the law. That's sick, and behavior of that sort has no place in a civilized society.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
What?

America civilized?

When did this happen?

I understand the nature of innocence and guilt. There is, however, a major difference between a felon running and police pursuit: police are actually trained for pursuit. They don't just tear through the city. In addition, it is a pursuit, meaning that the person is to some degree guilty. You don't just run from the cops. The issue is that this man tore through city streets, endangering lives. The police were trying to stop him for the exact reason that they were endangering the public.

Fact of the matter is, if you can endanger innocent people just to duck a purse snatchign charge, there is something seriously wrong with you. I would have felt no pity for these guys if they ended up VERY close friends with a streetlamp.

DE

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Exactly WyrdeOne. It is pretty pathetic to equate a person on foot as a danger to innocent civilians. Its actually so far off that its funny. The only real threat is that he would get away. Anything else is just an excuse to justify assault with a deadly weapon.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Exactly WyrdeOne. It is pretty pathetic to equate a person on foot as a danger to innocent civilians. Its actually so far off that its funny. The only real threat is that he would get away. Anything else is just an excuse to justify assault with a deadly weapon.

So the fact that the suspect was using a minivan as a "deadly weapon" means nothing to you?

Pearland police say this all started with a purse snatching in the Wal-Mart parking lot. The suspect got onto FM 518 and headed west towards the freeway. Authorities say he was driving at speeds up to 100 miles per hour, nearly hitting several vehicles as he was speeding on Highway 288

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:54 PM
link   
All this back and forth has me wondering something....

Does anyone know if they were on foot when they snatched the purse, or was it a 'drive-by' purse snatching? I know that the latter has become popular over the last few years, at least in my neck of the woods.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join