It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. lost $96.6 mill of Iraq's money.....oops

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Wonderful! Oops we just dont know what happened to all your money that was supposed to be used for your reconstruction. It just up and walked away.

SERIOUSLY!! What is wrong with these people? Do they actually think the Iraqi people are going to say "no big deal"?

The money came from Iraqi oil sales and other local revenues, not from U.S. taxpayers, and it was supposed to be distributed by the main financial office of the U.S. rebuilding effort in Iraq. That financial office - first part of the now-defunct Coalition Provisional Authority and now run by Joint Area Support Group-Central - hired a cadre of U.S. workers who pay cash to locals and contractors to repair Iraq and provide relief to Iraqis.

But U.S. officials didn't watch where the cash went, the inspector general found.

An examination of financial records between June 2003 and October 2004 showed poor bookkeeping, and investigators "found indicators of potential fraud," the report said.

In two cases, U.S. workers left Iraq without telling their bosses what happened to $1.49 million in cash they were in charge of, according to the inspector general's office. When the inspector general's office looked into it, it found that those two "field paying agents" didn't sign the required forms to take on personal liability for any lost cash.

Instead of trying to find out what happened to the money, the boss for the two agents tried to use other funds "to remove outstanding balances by simply washing accounts," the 36-page report said.

here is the link to the rest of the story.

news.yahoo.com...

Here is Lynch's lame excuse

It was a tough situation with not enough people, people shooting. They had to move constantly. (It was) very challenging in an austere environment,"

Think they will buy it?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Chump Change. This kind of thing is supposed to happen for vairous reasons.

1) We control your money! If it goes it goes.

2) It gives people a new complaint to file, (remember: without something broken, the United States of fixing things has nothing to do!!!!)

3) The longer there are security issues in Iraq the longer it stays occupied.

4) The longer it stays occupied the more bounty is collected without a paper trail.

these are off the top of my head and i'm sure you could come up with much better reasons with not that much thought.

I aggree this is wrong, but i don't think it matters if people buy it or not. Some will some won't the only thing that matters is if the government projections were close to acurate with those figures.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Nah, Laura Bush spent it on Botox and George went to Vegas to score some blow.

You'd be surprised how many pushers take Iraqi money.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
he wouldn't need to go to vegas, but you're probablly closer to the truth.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:25 AM
link   
well, WTF happened to all the DOLLARS they [ military ] confiscated/found/discovered ? or the bullion ?

what, we can't spend that ? are we gonna put it in the SMITHSONIAN ?

we're disintegrating from too many freaking rules, political correctness and thieves...

the last thing we need to do, is FIX another country...we got PLENTY of home grown problems to fix.

and not finding the money is symptomatic of a much much larger issue....

time to start socking away the gold bullion....

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
let me say first of all ; I Dont Know Reality.

with that said; i will speculate hehe

what if the pentagon is doing a new psy-op

what if the numbers of people trying to uncover pentagon $$ scams is growing too large; and the trouble of keeping them off their backs became more than an annoyance...
so they issue this new psycological operation....
in laymans terms "A Lie to Throw Us off the Trail"

what if they are just making a fuss over this $$$ to get everyone to look away from something else...like a bigger corporation ... hint hint hint

its just speculation you know
im just guessing lol

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by mrsdudara
SERIOUSLY!! What is wrong with these people? Do they actually think the Iraqi people are going to say "no big deal"?

That's exactly what they should say... It's Americans over there trying to help them out... $96 mil is nothing... as a matter of fact, I wish that the U.S. would come forward and say that they found it and it's going to the families of all of our fallen soldiers...

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone

Originally posted by mrsdudara

That's exactly what they should say... It's Americans over there trying to help them out... $96 mil is nothing... as a matter of fact, I wish that the U.S. would come forward and say that they found it and it's going to the families of all of our fallen soldiers...

I totaly back up this deal in Iraq. My cousin was over there for about 2 years. He was there when it started. We are over there to help these people. It really ticks me off when I see the military disrespected on this issue.

BUT the fact is, we are over there to help. We chose to go help these people. That does not entitle us to their money, or anything else of theirs. Stealing their money is wrong, no matter how you look at it. I just think this is going to cause a serious problem. Why the hell would they want to go and give our enemies more ammo aginst us? It is a stupid mistake that will probably cost us a lot in the long run.

new topics

top topics

join