It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Finds Kids Can't Hit Slow Pitches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:36 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

You're throwing a ball for a toddler to smack with a plastic bat. You toss it gently, slowly, to make it easier. He just can't hit it.

It's because you throw too slowly, a new study finds.

Kids' brains aren't wired for slow motion.

"When you throw something slowly to a child, you think you're doing them a favor by trying to be helpful," said Terri Lewis, professor of psychology at McMaster University. "Slow balls actually appear stationary to a child."

Add a little speed to the pitch, Lewis and her colleagues suggest, and the child is able to judge its speed more accurately.

"Our brain has very few neurons that deal specifically with slow motion and many neurons that deal with faster motion," Lewis said. "Even adults are worse at slow speeds than they are at faster speeds."

Kids' neurons are immature, making the task even more challenging for them.

this may not be a medical issue or conspiracy per se, BUT it is interesting so i posted it...

anyway, this is very funny...

i find this hard to believe but it is probably true...

hear is the funny part:

"Kids' brains aren't wired for slow motion."

who knew this!?!?!?

ENJOY!!!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I must be wired completely wrong.

The slow pitches were the only ones I could hit!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I must be wired completely wrong.

The slow pitches were the only ones I could hit!

let's fix him!!!

*now i chase you*

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
The thing that I am wondering about is the relavence of the study. How much did this study cost the taxpayers? Sure, it's nice to know that little kids can't hit a slow pitch but what can we really do with this information? Does this mean that if we walk very slowly, it's easy to sneak up on little kids so we can yell "BOO!" and thus scare the bejeezus out of them? Thre are a few places that I think the money could have been better spent....say Cancer, AIDS, or some other research that could help people in a more direct manner.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
The thing that I am wondering about is the relavence of the study. How much did this study cost the taxpayers? Sure, it's nice to know that little kids can't hit a slow pitch but what can we really do with this information? Does this mean that if we walk very slowly, it's easy to sneak up on little kids so we can yell "BOO!" and thus scare the bejeezus out of them? Thre are a few places that I think the money could have been better spent....say Cancer, AIDS, or some other research that could help people in a more direct manner.

that was great...

who knows though...

top topics

join