It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mummy with Golden Mask Unveiled

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
www.livescience.com...

SAQQARA, Egypt (AP) _ A superbly maintained 2,300-year-old mummy bearing a golden mask and covered in brightly colored images of gods and goddesses was unveiled Tuesday at Egypt's Saqqara Pyramids complex south of Cairo.

The unidentified mummy, from the 30th pharaonic dynasty, had been closed in a wooden sarcophagus and buried in sand at the bottom of a 20-foot shaft before being discovered recently by an Egyptian-led archaeological team.

"We have revealed what may be the most beautiful mummy ever found in Egypt,'' Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, said as he helped excavators remove the sarcophagus' lid to show off the find.

Hawass said experts will use CT scanning technology within the next week to reveal more details about the ancient Egyptian's identity and he had lived and died.

Afterward, the mummy will be displayed at Saqqara's museum of Imhotep, the famed architect who designed the Stepped Pyramid _ Egypt's oldest.

The mummy, found two months ago, was covered from head to toe in brightly colored cartonage burial material depicting a range of graphic scenes, including the Goddess Maat of balance and truth who was shown with outstretched arms that took the shape of feathered wings.

GREAT egyptian news!!!

here is one great part:

" 'We have revealed what may be the most beautiful mummy ever found in Egypt,' Zahi Hawass, chief of Egypt's Supreme Council of Antiquities, said as he helped excavators remove the sarcophagus' lid to show off the find. "

pic...

ENJOY!!!

EDIT: pic...

[edit on 4-5-2005 by they see ALL]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It looks beautiful, the picture shows that is still like it was just painted, I am in wonder whenever something likes that is discovered.

This discoveries show how artistic this ancient people were.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
It looks beautiful, the picture shows that is still like it was just painted, I am in wonder whenever something likes that is discovered.

This discoveries show how artistic this ancient people were.

yes...

i LOVE the history of the ancient egyptians...

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Very cool:

I wonder what the heiroglyphs translate to?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Nectanebo's wife perhaps?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I'm so glad someone posted this -- thanks -- I saw it yesterday and just felt too miserable to write up a post and link.

I really hope they take some more pictures of this -- I would love to see a head on and some detail shots. It always amazes me when they find these things in such great condition. There is so much we can learn from it.

jm

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I believe that the translation atop the sarcophagus reads...

"OPEN OTHER END"

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by justme1640
I'm so glad someone posted this -- thanks -- I saw it yesterday and just felt too miserable to write up a post and link.

I really hope they take some more pictures of this -- I would love to see a head on and some detail shots. It always amazes me when they find these things in such great condition. There is so much we can learn from it.

jm

your welcome...

lol periwinkle blue...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
It's always fascinating when an archaeologist comes along and makes a wonderful find like this one. I just can't help but be a little curious as to who it was and the history of the person.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Very cool, thanks for sharing with us, i wonder what theyll find next?!? An underground city maybe!
-Dani

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vesuvius 13
Very cool, thanks for sharing with us, i wonder what theyll find next?!? An underground city maybe!
-Dani

anytime...

glad ya' like it...

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
that paint is still so vivid

Hawass must be thrilled, i wonder if they did a special on this dig? I usually enjoy those shows.

new topics

top topics

join