It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Hey everyone, this is my first post, i'm not sure if this is the right section for it, so my apologies if it has to be moved.

I have recently finished my secondary education (YR12/VCE, I am from Australia.) and as one of my subjects i chose units 3 and 4 of philosophy, i found this very interesting and have been meaning to further my knowledge of it for some time now.

As none of my friends are very interested in the matter, i would like somewhere to hear other peoples opinions and takes on certain philosophers ideas and views, and to be able to discuss with others my own take on it all. I hope ATS is the right place for this

I will start it off with a few questions and topics I find intriguing.

Do you ever think we can obtain true knowledge? Is there any knowledge in the world which is so certain that no reasonable man could doubt it?

What do you believe is the relationship between appearance and reality?

Empiricism, The view that experiences of the senses, is the only source of knowledge. Who out of Locke, Berkley or Hume do you agree with more? Why?

I would write more, and my own takes on these subjects but i gotta get to class!
I will write back tomorrow morning, I'm looking forward to your replies

Bryan

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I am not a mathametician but I believe that truth exists in mathematics. Math deals in absolutes; one IS one ergo, one plus one IS two. It doesn't get any clearer that this. Of course, there are probably areas in Math where this simple equation isn't true, i.e. quantum physics but, I think I am safe in believing this simplistic notion is truth.

new topics

join