It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would history be different if it hadn’t been for Roswell?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Still, I'm sure they were concerned about espionage and Soviet agents infiltrating the government

Sure.

But like Dallas pointed out, They released it to the press.

Then, for whatever reason, they put the lid on it quickly.

This indicates that there was some confusion about what to do at first, but ulimately a decision was made to squash it.

The 'balloon story' plan they hatched worked so well that it became part of their standard operating procedure and it's still working to this day.

I am sure they were concerned about national security issues, but I believe that at the core it was much more about control, and social issues. Then as time went on it became just more about control.

1947 in America was supposed to be a happy time. The war had ended, babies were being made, people were trying to get back to normal. Most people in America hardly noticed the event, and they could care less.

Truman took it out of the Government's control and put it with the military, then restructured the military around it and created the NSA. Truman just wanted to make it 'go away' and it did.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 06:29 AM
link   
As for the Cold War, it really began in the intelligence area, right after WWII...it just took the Russians setting off a nuke to be the "recognized" start of it.

No one can argue that Roswell is important, we have a good idea of what happened there so we can surmise about other events. Gazrock mentioned that the CIA and NSA re-org seemed to come from nowhere but that sort of thing takes a lot of time. That is why I really mark the start of the serious UFO activity with LA, if we had a handful of other pictures from that night I think the question would be reasonably settled and I think they did.

The reason it didn't take too long is that it basically changed the name and expanded already existing groups. What I meant about coming from nowhere, is because there don't seem to be any records about debates, decisions, etc. It seems that the President and his cabinet decided and implemented it, relatively overnight. It took months to actually integrate, and put into motion, but it was AFTER the act went into effect of course. What I mean, is that if you look at the Dept. of Homeland Security creation, for example, you can see evolutionary steps of the legislation. Not so for the Security Act of '47.

According to alleged (not authenticated) documents, LA may very well be the start of them taking it seriously. No doubt foo fighter reports also hit the point home.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas
As I said earlier. It was the first time the U.S. Military admitted to being in possesion of a 'flying saucer'.

Originally posted by Divergence

Still, I'm sure they were concerned about espionage and Soviet agents infiltrating the government

Sure. But like Dallas pointed out, They released it to the press. Then, for whatever reason, they put the lid on it quickly.

This indicates that there was some confusion about what to do at first, but ulimately a decision was made to squash it.

I understand this was the first time the military admitted to this or any UFO event. I'm sure we all agree that the Roswell crash occurred, and the military were not prepared to deal with it. Perhaps I'm not getting your point.

The question is whether Roswell was the start of the policy of “cover-up” for the government, and the consequences of this policy created the atmosphere for the MIC to gain power. I believe that is was and we are still seeing the effects to this day.

Originally posted by Gazrok
What I mean, is that if you look at the Dept. of Homeland Security creation, for example, you can see evolutionary steps of the legislation. Not so for the Security Act of '47.

Good analogy comparing the creation of the DOHS, to the NSA of 1947. I believe that even during the Clinton administration they knew there was a problem with intelligence not being processed properly and there was talk of re-organization, but it took an event like September 11, for the government to act on it. So back in 1947, other events may have got them thinking and planning the re-organization, but it took an event like Roswell for them to act on it. This is speculation of course, but I'm betting it's not too far from the truth.

[edit on 5/7/2005 by Hal9000]

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I did understand what you were saying Gazrok mostly because on the surface that was how it seemed to me as well 'out of nowhere'.

But the thing is the government cannot do 'out of nowhere', not really. So to me that said this was really started years earlier. When I found the Battle of LA it felt like I found that piece of the puzzle. The Foo Fighters were mostly a during the war type of report so they would really follow LA
but probably helped to keep things moving along.

This is just so big a subject that in that time it would be a long process to come to grips with it in any concrete way.

A.T
(-)

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Thanks to all for your replys.

I'm agree that the Battle of LA and the Foo fighters, brought the UFO phenomenon front and center as obvious national security issues. But in the time of war, the most important thing was to win it. During the war I'm sure they had ideas to modernize, but maybe put it off until after the war.

The more I look into the NSA of 1947, it appears to be kind of a "catch all". Several things came from it, including the creation of the Air Force which was a part of the Army at that time. So several organizations were merged and new ones created that had new powers that basically overroad the constitutional rights.

With these new powers I believe they may have served a purpose at the time, but now is it really needed?

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think the missing piece of the puzzle that remains is how much does the government know? If we are, like many people believe, still mostly in the dark other than knowing of various races' existance, than continued silence only feeds the idea that it is being done strictly for power. In that case I do not think the silence can be justified any longer.

If on the other hand there has been direct contact, or any real communication on any level, then we are talking about a much bigger can of worms. The substance of what the government could know from the communication might make disclosure seem dangerous.

Unlike a lot of people here I do not believe that Disclosure would cause any serious harm to trust in government, we do not really have all that much to begin with. They had a reason, at least at the start, and with a starting in 1942 I have to agree with them. When the point was reached that disclosure should have done is something that honest people can debate about because it is highly subjective.

Since we know they have covered up basic facts and events there is naturally a little anger about that. It is easy to believe in other sinister motives or actions.

A.T

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander Tau
I think the missing piece of the puzzle that remains is how much does the government know? If we are, like many people believe, still mostly in the dark other than knowing of various races' existance, than continued silence only feeds the idea that it is being done strictly for power. In that case I do not think the silence can be justified any longer.

Yes, it makes you wonder why it is still being covered up. But I don't think it's just for the power. Disclosure would mean admitting that they lied and withheld information from us. So I think this is the reason they don't, but there could also be more to it. Like you said, what if they are just as much in the dark as they were back in the 40's? I have yet to see any evidence of any collaboration, so they may not know that much. If they announced disclosure, everyone would be asking a lot of questions that they can't answer, and it may give the impression that their incompetent.

At least I would prefer that this is the reason and not because they do know more and keep it from us because they consider it a threat.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Well it is quite a lot of power, essentially the USA extends it's reach almost everywhere (no offense intended to every other Country in the World).

I agree that there is no evidence, either direct or indirect that shows any regular contact/communication between the US government and any Alien Race. That is certainly not an absolute, but real contact would have an effect on people that should be just plain hard to hide.

And actually I think the government would have the perfect way to present the information because when it all started it was reasonable to keep it secret. They can be pretty sure that the effects of Disclosure will keep everyone busy with so many things that recriminations will be no major problem.

A.T
(-)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join