It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radicaly modified JAS-39G/H Gripen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Swedish SAAB started work on definition phase of radically modified JAS-39 Gripen. The new versions G/H are expected to enter service beyond 2020. The plane has no vertical tail, modified wing with double sawtooth trailing edge and the same shape was applied on cannards. Air intakes are now rhombus and are positioned closer to the fuselage. Engine nozzle is equipped with thrust vectoring. Avionics is based on JAS-39E/F version with AESA radar. I photoshopped the picture, how it should looks like. More at my web: www.hitechweb.szm.sk/stealth4f.htm

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Brilliant find, and excellent art work! That aircraft looks nice.

One thing - can you ensure your website displays properly in all browsers, not just IE please? I get text, background and nothing else on my browser (none of the aircraft images), and I cant use IE because the version available for my computer is 5 years old and woefully inadequet.

Thanks!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Brillant find, for sure!

God, this plane just looks like a razor blade. Future will show if it's gonna be as sharp as one

Anyhow, I can't see the advantages of NoVertTail configuration, can anyone explain this?? It doesn't improves stealth, it doesnt improves manouvrability, it doesnt shortens the maintenance time, etc...

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Awesome concept - I hope it becomes operational.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
what are the chances of them doing something like that to eurofighter and rafale as well?????

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   
WELL IAM ALSO CONFUSED REGARDING THiS no vertical tail concept whats the use . if iam not mistaken then the mca[india] also uses te same concept

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Maybe the cost will be less? Also theres less things to go wrong... and wouldn't it have a slightly smaller radar signiture cause of no tail?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Its smaller, lighter which means less fuel used and more power in reserve. It has a smaller radar signiture, so its stealthier. The only negative is that there hasnt yet been an aircraft that has gone supersonic in controllled flight that hasnt had a vertical fin, so there could be control issues there.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
All possible stealth improvements are negated by external stores. I absolutely don't understand the "no tail solution" combined with external weapons. it could have slightly lower drag, but otherwise it's totally dumb solution. I don't hthink it will be ever produced, certainly not in such configuration.

RAB

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
Engine nozzle is equipped with thrust vectoring they are looking at the TVC version of the EJ200 engine for the grippen, the same engine with trust vertored controll as being developed for the eurofighter. It'll ROCK!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Would you please tell me what method did you use to download your picture from that website which looks don't allow someone keep its pics into private computer.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Let´s go from the beginning.

Fighter with no tail configuration is lighter, less complicated and has smaller radar signature and drag. It is also less expensive. To avoid any mistake - argument about expensivity was unacceptable in 90s era. In that time modifications in software and engines with TVC were much more expensive than tail surfaces. But today with current technologies it is possible.

Longbow: It is problem with artists impressions. I used as a basis JAS-39E drawing which has standard weapon stores. Proposed JAS-39G/H version has stealthy stores for low RCS weapons like JASSM or Storm Shadow (can be visible on wind tunnel model on my web). I think it will be the same solution like on FB-22 with external wing weapon bays or stealthy stores and Lockheed Minion UCAV on it. FB-22 link

Emile: Sorry. I am primarily journalist so I am not so skilled in creating html code. You should do it on some another computer. If it does not work, send me your e-mail and I will post you the pics.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
If it doesn't have a vertical stabiliser, how would it manage its yaw and slip? Would it have to bank a little in order to turn? How would it manage a crosswind landing?

[edit on 6-5-2005 by Taishyou]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Ooo... Very nice. The Gripen was beutiful enough, this is one hot fighter. Over all it looks stealtheir, but then again looks can be decieving.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Here is the cockpit of a Czech (NATO) version of the SAAB JAS-39 Gripen.

Photo: SAAB

Source: Teknisk Ukeblad: NATO-Gripen er klar (in Norwegian...)

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Thats a beautiful piece of conceptual artwork, matej.
Gripen is one fine aircraft.

seekerof

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:21 PM
link   
What type of engine will it be using?

SOC

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The forward fuselage of the wind-tunnel model looks a lot like that of the Yakovlev I-90 submission.

top topics

join