It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking in Public / Cancer

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   
It's crazy. My condolences to all cancer victims. Cancer is not Mother Nature's idea of a good time. Mother Nature's intent is balance. Cancer is the enemy of that balance, an enemy of the equilibrium a species must establish with Nature to thrive. Cancer is poison. The end result of the unnatural. Our daily lives are plagued with that which is toxic to well-being and natural balances the human body requires. Our televisions, microwaves and cell phones emmit radio waves that disrupt our own, naturally balanced connection to Electro-Magnetic Spectrum. Our foods are saturated with additives, preservatives and the like, unnatural substances that don't belong in our body. Then, even if you don't smoke, it's all around you. People with no regard for others -- it doesn't matter if you're in the "no smoking section" -- the carcinogens travel far beyond the smoke we see. Please, destroy your health in the privacy of your own home, it is your right. But when you smoke in the vacinity of others you're unintentionally assaulting them with chemical poisons. Poisons that are proven to be cancer causing substances. Yeah sure, It's a public place. I'm not talking about "laws" -- find it in yourself, find the respect for another person's life -- to light up elsewhere. Thanks.

[edit on 4-5-2005 by Kalibur]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:37 AM
link   
There is no one single cause of any disease. We can only talk about cofactors, causative agents and life situations that like peaces of puzzle comes together and promote disease of cancer. There are hundreds of cofactors and causative agents that each have casual relationship to poor immunity, poor health, accumulation of toxins inside body, poor thoughts and each one have been mistakenly called cause of cancer. Most important cofactors are lack of knowledge, poor thoughts, lack of consciousness, lifestyle, diet, exposure to toxins, life situations... We are only able to recognize the largest pieces of this puzzle, while some smaller pieces, that all together may cover an area as big as that area covered by the large pieces of the cancer puzzle, often stay unrecognizable. Our body, mind and spirit are one with our environment. Anything that disturbs balance inside our body, mind, spirit, or our relationship with environment promotes cancer.
"Every interference or intervention which disturbs man's biological-dynamic balance, his place in the cosmic scheme of things, in the dipolar field current of Electro-magnetic powers which surrounds the world, and its creatures, and which govern the entire cosmos, every interference with these far reaching relationships, promotes the disease of cancer." -Johanna Budwig, Ph.D.

No two persons in the world have exactly the same set of cofactors, thoughts and life situations.
Significantly different set of cofactors, thoughts and life situations can promote (cause) the same kind of cancer at two different persons.
Almost identical set of cofactors, thoughts and life situations can cause different kind of cancer at two different persons.

Do you know that lung cancer did not exist between American Natives, who smoked tobacco. It is combination of hundreds of cofactors like smoking, lifestyle, diet, stress,...... that makes cancer. Tobacco is only one of them.

"The cause of cancer is clear:
poor diet, lifestyle and poor mental attitude result in toxic buildup which overloads the self-cleansing mechanism.
Cancer is manifestation of long term nutritional and environmental irritation, resulting in cellular oxygen starvation, leading to uncontrolled cell replication. It is often triggered by psychological causes inducing immune system collapse." by Saul Pressman

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:46 AM
link   
[edit on 4-5-2005 by Kalibur]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Don't spend all your posts in one place now.

This is more a discussion board than blog. Just a heads up on that.

And I'm not sure if that last long post has a source all it's own that it's been copied from, but we require links to all non-original work and small snippets in quotation for discussion.

Thanks.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
There is no way that public smoking is more cancer causing than all the cars and industrial pollutants.

This may not have been the case back when smoking was acceptable everywhere and anywhere, like on buses, planes, movie theatres, etc. (what a sick country we had!)

But today ,the number one threat to respitory health is vehicles.
One way to test my theory, sit in a garage and smoke a pack of cigarettes in 15 minutes, impossible so get some friends to help, after 15 minutes you all will be bored and only mildly nicotine sick.
Now sit in the garage with a car running...oh wait, in 15 minutes you will be dead.

Visit manhattan for 8 hours, then wipe your skin with an alcohol swab, what will you find?
BLACK! As much as all that soot is on the surface of your skin, it has coated your lungs.

I see the effects of automobile pollution on my window sills, a coat of black every 24 hours after I clean them. It was even worse when the plastic factories were in full operation 20 or more years ago ,we also had paint factories too with an awful stench, and "cancer pockets" in the neighbor towns, from polluted ground water still exist.

Back to cars, when will there be no "driving zones" like there are "no smoking" zones.
I have to laugh at restaurants and cafe's that stick their patrons out on a dirty street as if it provides "fresh air", when in fact you are exposed to lead and all the other carcinogens being pumped out by cars less than ten feet away at a rate of 30 vehicles or more per minute.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
As far as the non smoking in public, the policies preventing this are mostly to satisfy the majority. Its a fact that a majority of people dont smoke. So why would a non-smoker want to breath in that garbage? A smoker can easily go off and isolate himself so that no one is affected by his smoke. But most smokers see this as an infringement on thier personal rights.

Its not an infringement, since they are still permitted to partake in their deadly habit. The infringement would be if the smokers were allowed to remain where non-smokers were.

No, the technology to reduce the polutants in automobile emmissions is available, but expensive to implement. Take your average $30,000 Buick. If GM were to impliement a complete reduction in emissions and cut it by half, the cost of the vehical would increase by about $10,000.

Auto manufacturers have already stated that the technolgy exists, but resist in using it, fearing already minimal profit margins would dissolve. Hybrid vehicals are on the rise, and its likely that within 10 years, 90% of all vehicals sold in the US will be based on hybrid technolgy.

Manhattan is a small place packed with 8 million people, and tons of things that send pollution into the air. In reality, there is little that could be done to totally eliminate this problem.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
People should be allowed to smoke wherever they are. If you are seriously worried about getting cancer because smokers don't always stay within "smoking rooms" then you are il-informed.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
The majority have the rule of law in most democratic countries. The majority says go outside and smoke your lung dart. And smokers cannot smoke whereever they want. If I give someone a ride in my car, and they feel like lighting up, I will stop the car, and they can get the hell out. I dont engage in these behaviours, and I should have minimal influence by those who wish to.

And I am not worried about getting cancer from smokers, other whackos do.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Well, as a non-smoker I have a right not to breathe it in. I don't care if you smoke, don't do it in front of me.

And let me share a story: Four years ago, early in my pregnancy with my son, I was nauseous 24/7. I was at work as a relief packer (this is a person who gives packers breaks). My last person came back from his break REEKING of cigarette smoke, and lots of times when a woman is pregnant, her sense of smell really sharpens.

Bottom line is, I RAN to the bathroom and threw up!

My husband, son, and I live in an apartment--it's a house with 4 units. One tenant smokes like a chimney and it gets through the furnace vents. Early in my pregnancy, I was loathe to go home because I'd smell that tobacco smoke and it would make the nausea worse! Finally my husband got some air filters and I had a measure of relief.

Right now, though, second hand smoke makes me just about start to choke, and to this day, I can't stand the smell of it at all.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 12:05 AM
link   
As a 3 time cancer over-comer, I dis-agree that elements cause cancer.
NEGATIVE thoughts and fear cause it, period!
Once past fear, one is close to invincible to the ravages of this dis-EASE.
Not at ease is all it is....

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Well, if positive thoughts stopped cancer, then fine, but Id rather get the radiation and chemo.

Still, the tobacco industry knows its finished, cause its buying up all kinds of things that will be around long after tobacco has faded into a dim memory.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
personaly i would love to quit smokeing. but i have continuasely failed. even being out of cash has not helped, there is always a way to score. even so i don't think that smokeing causes cancer, helps it along mabe.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 07:04 AM
link   
"My husband, son, and I live in an apartment--it's a house with 4 units. One tenant smokes like a chimney and it gets through the furnace vents. Early in my pregnancy, I was loathe to go home because I'd smell that tobacco smoke and it would make the nausea worse! Finally my husband got some air filters and I had a measure of relief. "

I had about the same reaction to eggs, should be ban eggs in resturants?

Many Muslim people will complain of about the same symptoms when it comes to pork.......maybe we should all stop smoking pork?

okay, I get off your back and back to the issue at hand...the second hand smoke....and the SERIOUS HARMFUL effects it has on some people....
just in my little circle of the world, amounst my friends and families, I know of two people who would end up in the hospital because of cigarette smoke. One was a baby who was born premature, and thus had respitory problems to begin with.....Social Service finally gave the couple a choice, either the baby was leaving the home, or the husband who refused to listen to reasons and not smoke in the home would....well the husband was kicked out.
The other was a severe asthmatic...my nephew...and had severe reactions to much more than shs....perfurme, dust, there was all kinds of things. The doctor would demand my sister keep her house spotless and dust free at all times, yelled at her for letting him play outside(the dirt), but well, never said a word about the clorinated pool that sat in their back yard. of course, the baby reacted to much more than just the shs also....there was a big list of things to be avoided there also.

so, instead of just banning the shs from places just to appease a bunch of paranoid irrational people's fear of cancer, why don't they do something that might be more helpful in the immediate future.....come up with a list of offenders that these people are reacting to....and well ban those that they are forced to come in contact with everyday in the workplace, the bus, ect. ect.....shs, perfume, maybe some of the chemicals that are used in the workplace, ect. ect.....
doing this would probably actually save some lives this year.......instead of maybe a few decades down the road...

oh, ya, anyone see the newest buzz about sunlight....now, it might prevent cancer, since vitamin d plays a role in preventing it, and the sunlight isthe main source of this vitamin....by telling us to constantly be using sunscreen while outside, well, they might be increasing our chances of getting cancer.....

didn't who have one study where they found that shs actually reduced the chances of cancer also?

lol!!! I'd laugh if I ever read a similar report about shs!!!

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kalibur

Do you know that lung cancer did not exist between American Natives, who smoked tobacco. It is combination of hundreds of cofactors like smoking, lifestyle, diet, stress,...... that makes cancer.
Tobacco is only one of them.

i'm going to have to research on this idea/belief-superstition-folklore??

or is this a crafty double-speak ploy
as in 'lung cancer' as a malady-diagnosis was not in their lexicons?
or as 'lung cancer' as a disease never manifested in native-american tobacco users?

if 'lung cancer' never appeared in patients & therefore never became a word in their collective memory...then the Native Americans genes &
chromosones and DNA should be tested for those anti-lung-cancer markers.

but, my reasonable mind interrupts, and i think about how often? and how much ?they inhaled and of what potency? was the tobacco which was used back then. Considering that now-a-days, even Native-Americans
do & can contract lung cancer.

my present assumption is: this is a folklore meme
but i will investigate it for myself,

i do find agreeable the 'stress' and multiple, other 'co-factors'
which you point out in your post...
rather than demonized tobacco as the sole agent

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
The natives didnt have to smoke the other thousands of industrial waste chemicals like benzene. Also be wary of the way modern tobacco is grown, fertilizers used are hazardous as well.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 11:02 AM
link   
My friend came up with a good idea for second hand smoke after he and I endured a meal in a restaurant in Wyoming next to a group of men smoking up a storm. A little far fetched, but not as far as you might think. Here's his idea

1. Grab a six-gun.
2. Add one bullet.
3. Point it at the fella smoking next to you, and point out to him that he's playing russian roulette with your life, and you intend to return the favor.
4. Spin.
5. Pause for effect/for him to put it out.

(don't actually do this, unless you're from the early 1900's)

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by omega1
People should be allowed to smoke wherever they are. If you are seriously worried about getting cancer because smokers don't always stay within "smoking rooms" then you are il-informed.

However I dont want them to make me stick like they do, smoking is like having transferable body odor that sticks with you and your clothes all day.

If you want to stink, fine, do it in your own house and dont force it on others.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Flyer
If I want to stink, do it in my own house and don't force it on others?

HaHaHaHaHa! Ha!

I'll smell however I like, and if your nose is offended, YOU leave. How's that? Personal space is less than a foot in every direction, you don't want me in there, that's fine. But the sidewalk, the hallway, the street, the bar, that's common area, it's both of ours. I suffer because some men and women wear enough cologne/perfume to kill a rhino! I don't tell them to go home and smell however they like! I deal with it, and I'm sure you can too, it just takes a little bit of effort.

Goddamn anti-smoking Nazis want to tell people how to SMELL?! I have two fingers that can respond to that demand, but one of them is helping hold my cigarette!

Amorymeltzer
You're entitled to go around pulling guns on people, but don't expect the compliant response every time.
Somebody might call your bluff one day and put the cigarette out in your eyeball. And that would suck for everyone involved.

Why not just switch tables? Or for that matter, don't frequent establishments that allow smoking, problem solved.

When it comes to places of business..this is how I see it. If you open a business, you should have the right to make it non-smoking. You should have the right to make it mixed, smoking and non. You should have the right to make it smoking ONLY. It's your business, run it as you see fit. If people don't do business with you because they disagree with your choice, that's your loss. If people frequent your establishment more because of your decision, good on ya'!

I'm sick of being treated like a second class citizen because I smoke cigarettes. I do not agree to give up my rights just because someone else doesn't think I deserve them. You as an individual are free to think us ridiculous for our behavior, that's what freedom is all about.

That being said, it's not just about rights, it's about responsibility. I'm a responsible smoker, and I encourage others to be. I don't smoke around kids, or the elderly, or people with asthma and what not. When I'm sitting next to a stranger on a park bench or on the train platform, I ask "Do you mind if I smoke?" before I light up. Smokers need to be considerate, but they don't need to be subservient.

All y'all nonsmokers are going to be # out of luck when the bombs drop or the volcanoes blow, or the meteorite strikes. We have immunity, we have protection, we're wearing lung condoms.

All you little pink lungs will be gasping and choking and crawling around on the ground like the zombies in 28 days later, while we go to the store to buy smokes.

Sorry..smoking makes me a little aggro...

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
But the sidewalk, the hallway, the street, the bar, that's common area, it's both of ours.

The issue that, while you're allowed to do it all, hurting people is not legal. Second-hand smoke does hurt people, and is legal as opposed to any other form of long, drawn out manslaughter (to put it to an extremely extreme level).

Why not just switch tables? Or for that matter, don't frequent establishments that allow smoking, problem solved.

The foods better.
It was meant to highlight a point, though. Don't ever do that, you'd get charged before you could say "Big Tobacco." Or "Colt 45" for that matter.

I'm sick of being treated like a second class citizen because I smoke cigarettes. I do not agree to give up my rights just because someone else doesn't think I deserve them. You as an individual are free to think us ridiculous for our behavior, that's what freedom is all about.

Right with ya there.

smoking makes me a little aggro

*muah*

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Okay, okay, okay...we have all heard the good and the bad. I feel that smokers definitely need to be considerate of others, respect establishments rules, pick up their litter...etc. However, as the news and reports continue I have noticed a trend. There are all these published articles, surveys, statistics abounding concerning second-hand smoke, this of course being the topic. Phrases like "Recent studies have show....blah,blah,blah. Second hand smoke is "supposed the be the No.1 killer of...?' What if automobiles were the subject, then the studies would saying "Recent studies have shown that drunk driving, sleeping truckers, speeders..etc, are the No.1 killers of...[you fill in the blank]. Or how about preventable accidents..."Recent studies have shown that house fires are No.1 killers of...? [you fill in the blank]
Come on people...do you all want to live forever. Propaganda got Americans hooked on tobacco products many years ago, and now that the population is exploding, in addition to overcrowding in the inner cities...not to mention all the pollutants and preservatives in our food and water supplys, people are complaining because we are dying. Uhmmm? Seems to me the question isnt whether or not smokers need to be "considerate of others', but who in the government is going to step up and say "Look Big Tobacco Companies...you did this...Now YOU need to fix it. Pay for the treatment to get people unhooked from tobacco, quit advertising it, quit producing it, and peddle your wares somewhere else.
But hey..thats just my outlook on the topic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join