It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got XP SP2, and now my DVD player is gone, replaced with Widnows media player!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Well, I finally did it. I'd been resisting for a while, since Microsoft said it would cause 10% of software to stop running on my computer, but I did it finally. I upgraded Windows XP from Service Package 1 to Service Package 2 (SP2). Part of that update was the most annoying, worse that that fargin' (not the word that came to mind as I typed this) paperclip, message ever, "You may not have anti-virus software installed [yes, I do, symantec, but thanks for asking], click here to rememdy this" Comes up 3 times every time a new window is opened. Frickin'....

The worst, though, is my InterAcutal player. It's gone. When I Open a DVD via right clicking, it presents me with Windows Media Player, PowerDVD, and IE. If I browse to select a program to open it with, my InterActual viewer is gone, deleted, non-existant. So all I have is Media Player. Apparently the 10% also disappear from the hard drive? wtf? (fill in your own f word there)

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
You screwed up big time. I got it, well, friend put it on here. He knows what he was doing though, why I had him do it. Everything works for me, no problems.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
Well, I finally did it. I'd been resisting for a while, since Microsoft said it would cause 10% of software to stop running on my computer, but I did it finally. I upgraded Windows XP from Service Package 1 to Service Package 2 (SP2). Part of that update was the most annoying, worse that that fargin' (not the word that came to mind as I typed this) paperclip, message ever, "You may not have anti-virus software installed [yes, I do, symantec, but thanks for asking], click here to rememdy this" Comes up 3 times every time a new window is opened. Frickin'....

The worst, though, is my InterAcutal player. It's gone. When I Open a DVD via right clicking, it presents me with Windows Media Player, PowerDVD, and IE. If I browse to select a program to open it with, my InterActual viewer is gone, deleted, non-existant. So all I have is Media Player. Apparently the 10% also disappear from the hard drive? wtf? (fill in your own f word there)

I've personally had no problems with XP SP2. I have had friends who have had problems.

In accordance to your problem where it keeps acting about your anti-virus... you can solve that. Go to Start > Control Panel (or Start > Settings > Control Panel if you use the classic setting), click "Security Center", in the "Virus Protection" section, click "Recommendations", and there is a checkbox where it says "I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself". Check that, click OK and you should be ok. You can also do the same in the firewall section if you prefer not to use the Windows Firewall.

Windows should not ask for either of those things if you specify you have something that you can take care of yourself.

About InterActual Player, you should just reinstall it and set it as your default media player by going to Start > Set Program Access and Defaults and you can set your own custom settings there.

If a lot of people have SP2 problems, maybe we can open a SP2 sticky thread where people can post their problems and people like myself can try to help. I'm all for it!
If anyone else has problems, U2U me.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[edit on 5/4/05 by prophetmike]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Hehe I suppose I should have put this under rants, instead of Compy help. I'm just really annoyed with XP. Being a sys admin at my company, I get to work with it a lot these recent days. It seems like they just moved some stuff around from Windows 2k so people would have to get recertified or retrained on XP. I mean, have you tried file sharing allowing remote installs?! Win 2k, 1 setting. XP has the same window, but you have to confirm 3 times that you actually want to share a C drive. Then, after that, it's still not really shared, you have to disable simple file sharing (wtf?), turn off the XP firewall, set permissions, then, if you're lucky, it'll work. Oh, and believe me, it's an even bigger nightmare when you have to do this with a computer running a German version of XP when you're not fluent in German.

What I want to know is why was Win XP so kind as to uninstall my DVD player and replace it with their own?

And thanks for the info on how to turn that frickin' message off, didn't know how to do that!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Hehe I suppose I should have put this under rants, instead of Compy help. I'm just really annoyed with XP. Being a sys admin at my company, I get to work with it a lot these recent days. It seems like they just moved some stuff around from Windows 2k so people would have to get recertified or retrained on XP. I mean, have you tried file sharing allowing remote installs?! Win 2k, 1 setting. XP has the same window, but you have to confirm 3 times that you actually want to share a C drive. Then, after that, it's still not really shared, you have to disable simple file sharing (wtf?), turn off the XP firewall, set permissions, then, if you're lucky, it'll work. Oh, and believe me, it's an even bigger nightmare when you have to do this with a computer running a German version of XP when you're not fluent in German.

What I want to know is why was Win XP so kind as to uninstall my DVD player and replace it with their own?

And thanks for the info on how to turn that frickin' message off, didn't know how to do that!

No problem... glad to help. Concerning Windows XP, it was the first real time the Windows 9x (home) and the Windows NT (workstation) lines of Windows merged into one. Apparently, theres more of the NT influence in XP. Security is one of Windows' biggest flaws. I'm sure as a sys admin that you know that. In XP, they tried to totally revamp the way Windows for the home does security. Apparently, it was done a little too difficult.

Windows 2000 was simple, for the fact that 2000 was aimed for the server/workstation people who knew what they were doing. Unlike for XP, which would be used in also a home environment, they wanted to make sure that any random person wouldn't change settings and send the system haywire.

Coming with the next version of Windows (code-name Longhorn), there have already been talks of redoing the way Windows does permissions. According to THIS Slashdot article, Longhorn will use possibly use UNIX-like permissions to make things a little simpler.

I myself find small things annoying in XP, but it pays to keep it cool. Going on a rant spree won't help the fact that Windows XP is somewhat confusing.

If you (or anyone who reads this) needs any help at ALL, please don't hesitate to U2U me. I will try my best...

...and to think, I'm only 18.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

[edit on 5/4/05 by prophetmike]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I haven't really been following Longhorn over the past 6 to 8 months...Do you know, are they still going to require credit card information in order to activate your operating system, or did they decide that that was a really, really, really stupid idea?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Asked Jeff about this, he says whatever you did you did, not windows. He does this stuff for extra money, right there with moding xboxes and PS2s, and he has never had these problems. Don't feel to bad, when I put my DvD burner in my pc I somehow wiped out my entire HD, how IDK. But I don't need to know, why I have Jeff, 10 dollars and 1 habenero pepper later it fixed and I can burn DvDs.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

I haven't really been following Longhorn over the past 6 to 8 months...Do you know, are they still going to require credit card information in order to activate your operating system, or did they decide that that was a really, really, really stupid idea?

Windows required credit card info to activate? I've never activated over the phone, so I don't know that. I've always done it over the Internet.

Concerning that in Longhorn... I'm not too sure. It seems Microsoft really likes this type of activation. I myself don't think it's a bad way of doing so, but I am really griped with the licensing. Like, they could at LEAST let you install a certain amount of times (between 3 and 6) with one serial. After that, you can purchase new serials for each new install after that.

For Apple's new OS X "Tiger", they seemed to nail the licensing to a perfect way of doing it...

from the Windows SuperSite -
Apple Mac OS X 10.4 "Tiger" will become publicly available April 29 and sold only on DVD, though beta versions were available both in DVD and CD formats. However, Apple will swap the Setup DVD to CDs upon request for a small charge. Tiger costs $129 for all users of previous Mac OS X versions. Apple also offers a 5-Mac "Family Pack" for $199 that lets you install the system on up to 5 Macintosh systems, though there is no copy protection or activation scheme in the single Mac version that would prevent you from installing a single copy on multiple machines.

I for one think that the family-pack idea is exceptional. I think if Microsoft mixed that kind of idea with the way their activation is done, it would be SO much less frustrating that how it currently is.

We can only see what Longhorn will feature as we get closer to it's expected widespread release... which is Holiday 2006.

[STAY COOL)
-prophetmike

posted on Aug, 16 2005 @ 12:22 AM
link   
...Just got another windows update. Patched a security hole, it did. Oh, right, and it also got rid of my Interactual Player. What the frick?! It's the only program I'm missing...Why does Microsoft have a problem with it, or, if that's not the case, why does InterActual's InstallShield version uninstall its self every time I get a Windows update?

new topics

top topics

join