It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'll Trade You Limp Bizkit For Your Tax Return

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   
This cracked me up...

www.cbsnews.com...

A good Samaritan has been scanning LimeWire/BearShare using the Keyword "Tax." He downloads people's tax returns, and calls them to let them know of the vulnerability.

This guy gets the White Hat of the month award for like a year straight, if it were up to me.

So, my point with this is:

For the same reason a chimp with an Uzi is dangerous to itself and its family, a computer user without the requisite technical knowledge to operate their machine is a danger to themselves and to those who depend on them.

Please people, educate yourselves. If you don't know how to use a computer, learn before attempting to operate your PC. The world is moving too fast to be burdened with a tool you can't operate.

I laughed, oh how I laughed. The first image I got was that of a monkey looking down the barrel of a cannon while scratching its butt.

[edit on 4-5-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I didn't see this thread when searching, oh well. I saw this story on the news as well. I wonder how many people have their kids using file sharing while the parents got their taxes on the same pc. It just seems too easy for identity thieves nowadays.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:30 AM
link   
When Windows XP came out alot of us started scanning subnets for blank administrator passwords.

Out of 10000 PC's scanned, 9800 had a blank admin password resulting in it that you could just mount all their harddrives using the c$ d$ e$ ADMIN$ shares and fetch whatever you wanted from their PC's.

In some cases, with people who had webcams, we were even able to enable the cam and watch the user with a few clicks of the mouse.

MS rectified this really fast, but there are still loads and loads of people out there that never updated their PC's and who's admin password is still blank and who's PC's are still wide open.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Correct, any computer without a Firewall and without a password on the windows admin panel is highly vulnerable...

One of my professors at the University in computer science used to say: badly protected is worse than not protected at all...

Just thought of the poor guys who's fool enough to put his taxes fees into the C:/windows/document&settings/name/shared... God, this guy shouldn't be allowed to get his PC driving license!!!

top topics

join