It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shoe Tree Of North Carolina

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Hanging shoes on phone wires is not street art, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.
It's commonly done to show when someone's been killed on that street or area.
Gangs don't toss shoes up there to show territory, that's what flags are marks are for.

Chicago is notorious for this in the area I live in.

As for the tree's, there's a few reasons.
Aprox 1hr 20mins from here, there's an area called Dog Town, which is a highly forrested area, dirt roads, with nothing but hicks, and hidden dealers stashed out in trailers, it's like something out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
There's a wodden fence along the main road in, where shoes are put ontop of the fence posts, and there's probably 30 or so shoes along this fence.
This are has a gravel pit lake, where an old gravel mine used to be, and people drove cars into the pit, threw home applicances in, etc, and several kids were found killed, and drown in that same area, thus why the shoes are on the fence.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
www.roadsideamerica.com...

"A shoe tree starts with one dreamer, tossing his or her footwear-of-old high into the sky, to catch on an out-of-reach branch. It usually end there, unseen and neglected by others. But on rare occasions, that first pair of shoes triggers a shoe tossing cascade. Soon, teens are gathering up their old Adidas and Sauconys, families are driving out after church with Dad's Reeboks and grandma's Keds. The shoe tree blooms with polymer beauty. A work of art like this may last for generations, tracing our history by our sneakers . . . as long as the tree doesn't die."

Shoe Tree on "The Loneliest Road" Nevada.
Legend behind it's creation: A young couple camped there on their wedding night and got into a tiff. The woman said she was gonna walk away and the man said, "If you do, you'll have to walk barefoot," and threw her shoes in the tree. Then, the man got in the car and drove to Middle Gate to have a drink at the bar. The bartender talked him into going back to his wife, which he did. A year later, they brought their first child's shoes to the tree and tossed them into the branches. Since then, people have been adding and removing shoes from the tree so that when you drive over a hill on that very desolate road, all that you can see is this cottonwood tree with shoes hanging from every branch.

Here's a shot of her in the Winter Season!!

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I have pics of the Cali/NV shoe tree on HWY 395...
I'll post them later..
didn't know there were so Many..!

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Here are the pics I promised.
Still looking for the money tree.

The whole thing..

IN Cali, about 12 miles north of the Nevada Border on 395.

Here is a close-up

See anything you like?
I can get that in a size nine you know..They'll be ripe for pickin next week..

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnMature
I was riding up a ski lift at Killington Mountain in Vermont and along this one lift in the trees there were at least 60 bras. Some had peoples signatures and stuff....my friend and I rode up this lift continously to and attempted to grab some...to no avail.

I'm betting this is more common than you'd think. I know I've been to all those ski resorts in Colorado close to each other. (Keystone, Breakenridge, Veil, ect..) I can almost positivly say that each had at least one bra or panty tree next to the ski lift. I've seen a lot of those. You'll see a lot of stickers on the poles of ski lifts too. But when I try to touch one, its just out of reach by maybe 1-2ft. I've always wondered how they did that, without falling.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I think a "thong" tree would really be the way to go
male and female of course~ anybody want to start one? j/k

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join