It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Shoe Tree Of North Carolina

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

There is a gigantic tree in the middle of a field here from which all types of shoes are hanging. Most of them were nailed to the tree’s trunk and some were hanging there by their laces. This was definitely the weirdest thing that I have ever come across. Why were so many shoes nailed to the trunk of the tree? Was it some crazy murderer keeping track of how many people he killed? Was it someone that was obsessed with shoes that wanted to display them?

Not 100% this is the forum for this, but it seemed the closest fit. There are these shoe trees in Indiana and Michigan, too. I'm curious as to opinions on this issue, as I have no clue, except to put forward that humans are pack animals, and tend to follow a leader. But why shoes? How did this start, and why in three different locations, 2 seporated from the third by hundreds of miles.

Most importantly, have any of you seen these trees?

When I first found the article, I expected it to be about a tree that grew shoes, and was going to post it in the jokes and puns section of BTS. However, the truth seemed quite stranger than the fiction created in my mind. People, with free will, are compelled to nail shoes to this tree. Why?

Source

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
For some reason this sounds really creepy. It very well could be some deranged murderer wacko that likes to display his ''trophies''

In fact this would make a good film................

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
That's so odd. Someone has taken these shoes from someone and then hung them on a tree!?! I don't see why any NORMAL person would do that....maybe it's an animal? A possum or something that just steals them and takes them to its tree?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Naaaa..nothin to weird. Trust me, Im from Indiana. We do stupid stuff like that. People aint coming from far and wide to do this. More than likely its a group of kids who tell the stories to their friends and they do it and pass it on. More than likely theyve found some old beer bottles out there to. Kids in the sticks get bored out here. I know, I was one of them. Never nailed a shoe to a tree though.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I've never seen the trees, but this happens in cities ALL THE TIME.

One of my old neighborhoods (Little Five Points in Atlanta) had telephone lines covered in shoes tied together at the laces and thrown up there.

That's pretty common. I've seen it a few places, but not like L5P. When it gets to be hundreds of them the city will come along and clean them off, but it's pretty much just street art.

Follow the leader like you said. There's some pretty lame theme restaurants around too that try to copy these phenoms with ties and bras stapled to the walls and ceilings.

[edit on 4-5-2005 by RANT]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Well in the city, aint that for gang territory? The pair of Nikes over the wires. Thats when you KNOW your in da hood. I wonder if thats bad for the tree? You think birds can nest in them? Hmmm...They could be on to something here..

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by spliff4020
Well in the city, aint that for gang territory? The pair of Nikes over the wires. Thats when you KNOW your in da hood.

Eh, maybe. But when it's in bar districts it's something else.

Most of the people I've seen doing it have always been rather phishy anyway.

Barefoot in the city bra burners and suburbanite poseurs just trying to "fit in" on their big day out as a nonconformist.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Okay Jake, when I first read your thread, I was as perplexed as anybody. Then I gave it some REAL thought.

When I was growing up, most kids were forced by cheap parents (I turmed into one of them) to wear their gym shoes for the summer. Wear 'em out, or wear the SAME GYM SHOES THE FOLLOWING YEAR!

Of course, neither case was acceptable. The shoes had to vanish! (For godsake, they were GYM SHOES!!)

To this end, we would tie the laces together, and hoist them over the closest power line. Problem solved!

Heck, why NOT nail them to a tree?

[edit on 4-5-2005 by Toelint]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Humm I could defintly use some noteirity in my small on horse powered town / And luckly for me I have 6 boys .

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Near my home town there is also a shoe tree! LOL I could get a picture for you, its quite amusing. Some family has taken every single pair of old shoes they ever owned and tacked them on the tree..

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
They're common.

One on Hwy 395 north of Reno, NV a few miles north of the CA/NV state line. Another one on 395 between Susanville and Alturas.

There's a bra tree too.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Just wanted to point out that these shoes have been nailed to the trees, usually to the trunk. They're not just being tossed into the branches or over power lines, but are taking time, effort, and nails to pound them into the tree.

So no, probably not all that great for the tree, either.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I read once in a book -- and no I'm sorry I don't remember what book to quote it -- I read A LOT --- about a tree like this and there was a tradition/belief/superstition that if a young married couple put their shoes on trees it helped them have a good marriage and be fertile. Now where that came from I have no idea -- maybe it stopped you from wanting to wander?

So maybe it is something along these lines.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I found this site on the web....

www.snopes.com...

It may provide some insight.

Haven't you ever heard of a shoe tree before?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Here is a news article about the tree....

www.wwaytv3.com...

Just more speculation as to why, no real answers though.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I live in North Carolina, and this is actually the first time that I have ever heard of the "Shoe Tree." Wonder why it was started in the first place and when it was started?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I think that gangs would do this to the tree, by hanging shoes on it. But why shoes

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I was riding up a ski lift at Killington Mountain in Vermont and along this one lift in the trees there were at least 60 bras. Some had peoples signatures and stuff....my friend and I rode up this lift continously to and attempted to grab some...to no avail.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Where are the tree huggers?

That tree should not be forced to smell stinky feet .....

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I've been to the Shoe Tree in Nevada with my g/f while on a 2 week road trip to a bunch of cool spots in the Western to Mid. US. It was actually on a really cool road that takes you through NV called "The Loneliest Road". It fits it's name too cause it's really long and for the most part totally void of any type of anything. You pretty much fill up the tank on either side before and after driving it. Anyway, somewhere about the middle of that stretch of road is a big old tree off to the side of the road and it is absolutely covered in shoes. Must be hundreds of them suckers. I forget what the story was behind it. My Dad told me before we left so we'd be sure to check it out if we saw it. Which would be easy in the day time, but this was night for us and it's "Nowhere Country Dark" on that road at night.

In fact I kept an eye out for some UFO's or something but nothing popped up. If they were gonna be sneaking around I'd bet on them being in that area somewhere cause it's just miles of nothing.

P.S. Before I forget, another cool thing about "The Loneliest Road" was that there was a Call Box at one point that was posted with a sign reading "The Loneliest Phone".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join