It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Wussification of America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I was watching TV tonight. I saw where some sisstards are trying to remove dodgeball from school. Some schools have banned jump roaps so the children don't have to trip over the rope and look like bumbling idiots, yet still pretend they are jumping with a jump roap. And why in God's name does everyone on the team deserve a trophy even if they didn't play worth a damn.

What kind of generation are we raising? Life is not fair! There are winners and losers and the world was not always politically correct!

When I was a kid, in dodgeball you got knocked on your butt, it made you a better person. If I tripped and fell on my jump rope so what, I'm human! Afterall, I was learning coordination. If I didn't earn a trophy i certainly don't deserve one.

When these politically correct, sheltered wussified sensitive kids go out into the real world they are gunna be traumatized. You don't not always get an A for effort. We are raising a bunch of spoiled sheltered brats who think they are "entiteled".

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Yep. That is what happens when you get a super-power wealthy nation. Power, arrogance, and an easy way of life.

Sorry to break it to ya', but it's been going on for a while. I think in the late 50's it began to happen. =/

-wD

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Yep, you live life in a comfortable country, you'll be sheltered and hidden from the real world.

The thing is, it is always a minority that causes these changes and restrictive rules that 'protect' the children. Mostp arents wouldnt care, but you get one or two who dont want their kids playing dodgeball or jumprope... but the kid wants to and will do it anyway (its what kids do), so the parent gets in banned and ruins it for everyone else.

I remember here in Aus when i was in grade 7, i went to an academic high school. Some of us kids wanted to start a rugby team, the teachers said thats fine, but we had to get parental permission to play on the team (rugbys a really really rough sport) one kids parents didnt sign the note, but not only that came up to the school and complained that we shouldnt be having rough sports at school... So the team was cancelled and we were left with playing Soccer (most of us were kicked off that team for being too rough... hell we wanted to play rugby!)

But yes it is ridiculous the way we're all being sheltered, and it happens in the adult world too though.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Man, I miss Smear the Queer. Whoever has the football is to be killed at all costs, and yet the whole point was to get the football. WTF were we doing? Dodgeball was fun, weak kids taken out while the strong stay in and bruise each other.

Rugby is fun, but ARF is ten times more rough. Saw it on tv, it was rugby+mass murder+public beatings all rolled into one. It was rugby with football rules, but ball never stopped. You have the ball in your hands, like football, run run run to the other end of a 200meter ROUND feild and score, but the other team can kill you. One guy had his nose broken and knocked out for rest of the game but the game didn't stop, they still playing while paramedics go out and scoop him off the feild.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser

Rugby is fun, but ARF is ten times more rough.

Depends who you play against... i used to play against guys who were 140kgs and could rnu the 100m in 12 seconds... I could run it in 11 so i could get away... but when they run right at you your screwed...

Also in both Rugby (both types) and Aussie Rules we dont wear much padding... unlike your American Football where they're padded head to toe and play stops every down... Aussie sports are non-stop action and bruising... ahhh... i feel like picking up a ball and going crazy now

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

At Daniels Farm Elementary School in Trumbull, Connecticut, Karwoski's teachers grade papers by giving examples of better answers for those students who make mistakes. But that approach meant the kids often found their work covered in red, the color that teachers long have used to grade work.

Parents objected. Red writing, they said, was "stressful." The principal said teachers were just giving constructive advice and the color of ink used to convey that message should not matter. But some parents could not let it go.

Read

It's unreal how things are getting. I remember getting whole papers covered in red ink when I was in school. Not sure how this new generation of kids are going to compete in the global marketplace if red ink is enough to stress them out.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
man I lived for dodgeball that and indoor hockey, those were the greatest sports i've ever taken part in, during PE!!!!!!!

i remember we were playing soccer one day and i was goalie and i got hit in the face with the ball and my nose was all bleeding

i did a gym teacher snot rag and continued to play for the rest of the period

maybe it's all that ADHD?

(bounces off a wall)

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I look at it this way, when the children growing up today are adults, they will be easier to beat the crap out of when they walk on my lawn.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
You know it's not exactly about children but it's similar...

Did anyone watch Jon Stewart tonight showing Tony Blair town hall meetings versus George Bush town halls? :shk:

Man would I love to have free speech and access like that.

America has become nothing but a soft wuss pussy footin' nation top to bottom. We revere monopolies, love being controlled, wear the icons of our oppressors on T-Shirts and gold chains and line up to buy tickets to our own demise.

And it's not the schools fault nor anyone else at the bottom. If America does anything with fervor anymore it's play follow the leader like sheep to slaughter.

No matter how much of a wuss they are...
:shk:

[edit on 5-5-2005 by RANT]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   
You see them in their big black SUV's with a "W" sticker on the back. The names and team affiliations of their unholy offspring often grace the back window as well.

The well-heeled denziens of these ultra-trendy new neighborhoods, which will be abandoned to the inevitable march of the ghetto in a dozen years, drift from Starbacks to The Gup in a cloud of smug self-assurance that all is well with their little world and that nothing can ever touch them.

This is the soft underbelly of America. These are the ones who will raise the alarm if one of their precious angels takes a dodgeball to the face. Those ourtageously expensive clothes should never be marked with bloodstains, you know, and that pampered baby girl is already headed for rhinoplasty, no need to make it worse.

"In my day" it had already begun. We never did play dodgeball or smear the queer at school, but we were a tough little bunch of redneck kids, we played those games on our own time!

The paddle was a familiar device at my school. Coach Phillips kept order and discipline through fear....the way it should be! No handcuffs needed. This one of the saddest losses to our educational system...the freedom to smack those brats into behaving.

I don't recall anyone ever killing themselves with the jumprope, just a few skinned knees among the clumsy. That was just a learning tool, though...makes you jump faster next time!

The world will never be a totally safe place, and those that try to make it so are just fooling themselves.

In second grade I saw a kid choke to death on a pebble from the playground.

No one suggested that they remove the gravel from the playground.

top topics

join