It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Of whispered rumors of drama, mayhem, and disgruntlement

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
As many new, existing, and old-time members have come to learn, the AboveTopSecret.com community is among the Internet's most diverse, complex, and stimulating places to hang out. Part of this interesting complexity and diversity is inherent in the makeup of our members and staff, which has been brought together by the sometimes controversial subject matter of our forums. As is the case with any virtual or real community with a broad base of people, conflict and drama will occur. It's deep within the nature of this beast we call an online community.

With this in mind, there are a few things that should be addressed because of rumors or whispers of rumors, or whispers of whispered rumors that have crossed the desks of administration. In no certain order, here's some items:

ATSNN: Yes, by one measure of "quality" the ATSNN news portal is changing. Some argue for the worse, others wait and see. One thing is certain, a news portal driven by the members of ATS will rarely be able to compete on pure quality of content alone. What we can "compete" on is the unique point of view of this diverse community... perhaps a completely different measure of "quality" we need to aspire to. (See this thread for more.)

Member Attitudes: It's easy to be an idiot online. I've known sane lucid people who have turned into rabid lunatics within online discussion groups. It happens. We have a large staff, but even our large staff cannot see every post, and sometimes not even every thread. We try, but inevitably the ramblings of twits and trolls are attracted like mindless moths to the light of controversial topics. Two things to keep in mind, don't feed the trolls, and please use the complaint/comment form to let us know something terrible is happening. (See this thread for more.)

Complaints about Staff: We're not perfect. We have opinions, biases, foibles, bad days, and even on occasion make mistakes. What we share is a passion for what this site stands for and hopes to accomplish. We do our best to remember or Staff Mission (see below) but see above for the "not perfect" part. (See this thread for more.)

"Privacy:" Apparently, fallout from the troubles in chat a few months ago has caused speculation among members that "private" communications by be reviewed by site administration. Let me be very clear and lay this rumor to rest, yes, we can and have reviewed private chats and private U2U's on occasion. This is a privately owned and funded website domain that allows open membership without age restriction. There are certain liabilities associated with operating such an environment. Among our "due diligence" duties is investigating reports of potential illegal acts and potential threats against the community. We don't routinely examine private messages, ever. And only review these messages when given good cause. There is only one person with the ability to provide access to these messages. The ability for admin to review U2U's was removed from the ATS code more than 18 months ago.

I hope this clears up some lingering whispers of whispered rumors. Now get back to denying ignorance.

Staff Mission

Primary Goal: Member Enrichment

The motto, "Deny Ignorance" shall define all attributes of the operation of the ATS community. While the statement not only defines our "state of mind", it also establishes our "brand" or perceived personality by prospective, new, and existing community members. In all cases, when any management staff member is considering a public action, that staff member should consider how their action benefits and enhances this motto-as-goal. Our ability to attract and retain people of quality depends primarily on how we set forth to manage the community in accordance with this goal. And our growth relies on a solid base of quality members.

Secondary Goal: Quality of Life

While intellectually stimulating topics and discussion have always been the cornerstone of the ATS Community, as it expands and attracts new members, staff must be just as concerned about the overall "quality" of the community member's daily participation. This quality extends beyond the simple participation in interesting exchanges, into any number of things which include; humor, community pride, noteworthy contributions, awards, games, point accumulation, and more. Our growth relies on an equal balance of stimulating topics end enjoyable lifestyle features.

Management Style

As we grow, so too does the diverse nature of our membership. At all times, we must seek to establish an aspirational community perception, where we insist new members rise to our standards, never lowering standards for the sake of a segment of membership. As such, ATS management staff should assume that new members join the ATS community because of our high standard of enrichment and quality of life. We expect our members to treat each other with dignity and respect. And our management style with members of this type shall be patient, accommodating, and fair. However, not all new members attracted by our subject matter are able to respond favorably or aspire to our standards. In the case of these members, our management style should be quick, responsive, and decisive. With these members, our decisive approach shall not be out of anger or ego, but of our strong desire to protect the online quality of life enjoyed by the majority of members who adopt higher standards.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It's good to see this laid out clearly and in an up to date manner.

Triple thumbs up!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
Triple thumbs up!

As always, very well said. IMO, the Staff Mission thread is one of the best pages here, staff or newbie.

What we can "compete" on is the unique point of view of this diverse community... perhaps a completely different measure of "quality" we need to aspire to.

And isn't that "quality" more important? One of the reason newspapers have a hard time, especially compared to television shows, is that they have one page (OP/ED) for the opinions, views, and just general mind-childs of the writers. On ATSNN, you've got the news (well written as always) but each story is an opportunity for educated, in-depth discussion, debate, and questioning. When it comes to internet news, I turn to ATSNN before anyone else, IF I go to anyone else.

The motto, "Deny Ignorance" shall define all attributes of the operation of the ATS community. While the statement not only defines our "state of mind", it also establishes our "brand" or perceived personality by prospective, new, and existing community members... Our ability to attract and retain people of quality depends primarily on how we set forth to manage the community in accordance with this goal. And our growth relies on a solid base of quality members.

Here's three more, 6 total.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Ha! I Smell A Cover-Up!

So in other words, it's true what I read in the Washington Times!

Nice try, Skeptic, but we know better.

We know all about the mind-control algorithms embedded in your posts, and how SimonGray is, in fact, a real grey -- alien, charged by the Zeta Reticuloid Grand Overseer with pacifying us humans here on Earth.

We've seen how the ATS “Drama Alert” goes up when the drama starts going down - thus stimulating new drama to keep site hits up.

We know all about your “little arrangement” with the CIA to share member profile data so they can tailor their RFID chips to mimic our posting styles almost perfectly.

I know that it was you I saw standing on the grassy knoll in the Zapruder film!

It's already well-known that DDT, cyclamates and Olestra were banned due to the lobbying efforts of one Joseph P. SkepticOverlord, Esq. -- a long-time Halliburton secret contract employee, Merovingian Inheritor, Bohemian Grove owl worshiper, Bilderberg Group Grand High Inquisitor, 34th-degree Stonecutter and Sam's Club Volume Discount Member, no less!

Peak oil? Ha! Just how much did Enron pay you to create that forum, anyway?

We know who GeneralDilemma really is (a captive chupacabra, if you were wondering), and who his wife is, as well! (Oprah)

Thought you could fool us? Ha! A real general couldn't possibly write that coherently!

And another thing, SkepticOverlord -- if that's your real name -- fluoridate my water? Over my dead body!

This site has “New World Order” written all over it in chemtrails -- especially in the New World Order forum.

Deny it if you like, but we know better.

“Deny Ignorance”, you say? Ha!

I say, um, deny... um, “Deny Cover-ups”!

Yeah, how do you like that, Mister White House staffer?

Ahem. Lest my ironic wit be misconstrued, my point is that on a website like ATS, trying to put rumors to rest is akin to trying to put out fires with gasoline.

Um, dude, we like drama!

Would you have it any other way?

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
We know who GeneralDilemma really is (a captive chupacabra, if you were wondering), and who his wife is, as well! (Oprah)

Thought you could fool us? Ha! A real general couldn't possibly write that coherently!

I'm happy to see the good General hasn't been forgotten by all, it's a shame that his level headed prose no longer graces the chaotic hallways of this forum. A little starch and discipline would go a long way with this bunch, heck, we might even get to the bottom of a few things with GD calling the shots.

You are correct on the coherency aspect, all GeneralDilemma posts were/are ghost written by Private Parts, leave it to an enlisted man to make sense!

Dismissed.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I think I accidentally tripped the troll alarm when I came blazing in here like a whole herd of ironshod dwarves tromping through a dungeon.

Sorry!

I really couldn't help being a little 'overeager' when I found ATS, though. This is an awesome site! Worried peeps everywhere will be happy to know that I've already begun to settle down a bit, however.

It may help you to see what my horroscope had to offer around the time that I joined:

What could possibly be more fun than learning something new? Learning it while you're on the road, exploring a place you'd only had vague hopes of actually seeing. You know where that is. Make it happen.

...and....

Your enthusiasm known no bounds when something dear to your heart gets the green light.

At any rate, whether I'm the one who tripped the trigger or not, I'm very glad to have found ATS, and I look forward to contributing much in my own weird little way. Thanks for hosting such a great site!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Road, No worries I dont think you are the one with the rumors.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
The drama in the boards and some mayhem doesn't affect me at all, I have been caught unwillingly into some but it doesn't bother me, I am to old for that kind of problems.

My biggest concern was about how much privacy we have with the U2s and my question has been answered.

I don't agree with it but that is the policy of the board and I have nothing to argue about.

I have come to rely on personal private E-mail now since I became aware that privacy is just but a matter of choice.

Thanks for the review SO.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I have apparently missed a lot of bruhahaha....thank goodness. I used to belong to another board where it was found out that PMs (private messages) were indeed being read by staff.....it was terrible, literally hundreds of people left that site.....since then, if I have anything "that" darn private to say, I use e-mail.....simple. I doubt that would happen here....better ethics here! As to the staff...yes, everyone has opinions and biases and all that good stuff....but as a mod, they have been chosen to be able to control "some" of this. I think that if a mod does something a member would get in trouble for....fair is fair!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
There's only one thing that was left out of this thread:

All Your Base are Belong to Us

HA HA HA HA!!!!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Oh wait! So that's why I have had new mail that I haven't read...but they were not in bold black....All that time I thought someone here in my house had been getting into my U2U's...only me, hubby and my 7 year old GD here though, and hubby insisted it wasn't him and I know it was my GD........LOL

Just kidding., well it did happen, but....I know no one here would do such a thing!

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Interesting, I've noticed posts by RANT and SO listed on the "new posts" page, yet the thread deigns to reveal them... Maybe that joker Kano slipped a little invisible ink into mix, or is this a new page in ATS transparency? Stay tuned.

Hallucinating Monkeys, not just for swamp gas anymore...

JAK

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Hey MM, I think this is what you meant.

When a staff name appears as the last poster on a topic, and yet there is no post to read, I believe that is a sign that the thread has been 'bumped'.

Jack

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Just "bumping" the thread to ensure all purveyers of dramatic episodic occurances of board mayhem and malcontented miscommunication (PDEOBMM&M) take note.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
When the troll alert goes off and we raise up .. like now it's at yellow ...
how do we know what is going on? I clicked on the yellow alert bar
and it didn't do anything. Is there a troll list somewhere that when
those folks show up, the level is raised? Is there a way to know
WHY the level gets raised .. what happened to raise it? Or is it for
MODS and their 'homeland security' stance only? Just curious ...

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
(spreads teh love like hot butter)

well bah, no cartman tea party picture for ya'll!

just more

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I just voted ~Majic~ for my WATS award for the month.

That was some FINE and entertaining words put there for mass amusement. I for one, am highly amused!

No Offense Mr Overlord.......
but it WAS dang funny!

top topics

join