It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Instincts ... inherent knowledge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   
“What you are looking for is what is looking”
--St. Frances of Assisi--

My purpose in this thread is the same purpose we all have. To learn what I don’t know, and teach that which I do know. Walk your path, ask questions, and seek answers. Embark on a journey to the center of your consciousness, strive to understand yourself, and everything else may very well fall into place.

I believe the smarter you are the smarter humanity is. I believe the smarter humanity is the smarter I can be, the greater our potential will be. I know the key to the truth is laying aside our prejudices, our objections, and the precepts we have accepted as truth. History has proven that the majority of the precepts we accept as truth are the majority of the time, incorrect. The precept that the world is flat, or that the entire universe revolves around the Earth, both proved to be untrue.

“Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.”
--Albert Einstein--

“To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit.”
--Stephen W. Hawking--

Have you ever contemplated what instincts truly are, if not the “cliff notes” of the accumulated knowledge which stems from the experiences of the consciousnesses that have preceded you? Are instincts not inherent knowledge? And if they are inherent knowledge from the consciousnesses that have preceded us, somewhere within us may be the inherent knowledge of the singularity, the consciousness from which we all originate. I don’t need to ponder how much of that inherent knowledge is dormant, hidden, tucked away in many, because they need to influence the world to know they exist. Curious enough, the observer is intangible. How real can reality be when the self that is determining it to be real is itself intangible?

I crave your input, I thank you in advance for it. And I thank you for your time.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The soul isn't tangible. There are people who need to "see to believe"...and thats just fine. There are others who believe that life is far more than just the physical occurrances each day etc. I, relate to the latter.

Love, is not tangible. Happiness, is not tangible. Instinct, is not tangible.

Just these basic facts alone prove to me that there is FAR more to living than just physical experiences. Instincts, are just one of the intangible assets we all have - IF we choose to listen to it.
To explain it in any scientific detail, would be impossible I think. Its one of the many gifts we are given by God/I Am/Higher power, some use it - some don't.
It all comes down to belief in my opinion.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:34 PM
link   
eliquently put sanse_nz

I whole heartedly agree and thank you for your time and input.

"It's in the way that you use it. It comes and it goes."
--Eric Clapton--

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Teacher you are so close, I believe, to the truth.

The inherent knowledge of the singularity. That is a good way to put it I reckon. We are all different. We are all one.

Many spend too much time wondering where we go. If concentrated on where we have been most would be amazed at what they really "know".

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Nice name

Instincts are the genetic predispositions to certain behavior we have acquired from our successful ancestors throughout the entirety of evolution on the planet Earth. If hair and eye color can be determined by alleles, why should some of the ways our brains function be any different?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I would like to walk with you on your way for a bit, and talk with you here a bit as well, if you'll have me.

As it turns out, my purpose here on this board is the same purpose that you say you have, that you say we all have. I think that you have a great deal to teach, and I am an eager student!

You said:

I know the key to the truth is laying aside our prejudices, our objections, and the precepts we have accepted as truth. History has proven that the majority of the precepts we accept as truth are the majority of the time, incorrect.

In order to lay aside my prejudices and precepts, I shall seek back to my inner child. My pure unblemished mind, which was quick and sharp and absorbed every single detail with crystal clarity. There were not so very many boundaries to determine what could not be, so any possibility was considered.

Now, miles and miles of serious scar tissue lay between she and I, but I can still clearly conjure her image.....and it's something like this:

So, Teacher, it seems that we are well met within this digital world.

I'm really looking forward to the development of this communication!

[edit on 3/5/05 by Roadscholar]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Some very intriguing points of view (which is exactly why we are all here. You guys have some great insight and I am certainly honored to share these thoughts with you.

back to instincts and one more thought I just recently had about them. Is it possible that perhaps the knowledge stored within us (instincts = software) may be slightly incompatible with the programming of our brain and the way we have it hardwired currently?

I seek the questions, maybe not always the answers. It wasn't the falling apple that made Sir Isaac Newton great, it was him asking how come the moon didn't also fall like the apple did.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Perhaps it is the conflict between our older instincts and our current programming that creates such emotional "stress" in modern individuals?

Just a small thought.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Hello Roadscholar!

My user name can be misleading. I opologize for that. I'm more a student somedays than a teacher, and I know a great deal of things because in the end I know that the I is the real deceiver. You may not have to revert to the child you were, just move the observer from the frontal cortex of your brain that relates to your "Self" and your identity and patch up the neuronet that has been denied because your self is seperate from everything else. Try to see that you may have a false precept of individuality imbedded as accepted fact into your brain. There are truly so many different ways to say the same thing. Rebirth doesn't have to mean death to you, just the self that has already determined that you and this world are seperate. We are not. If religion and spiritualism has failed you, don't worry the message is everywhere else as well. Even science is now saying that the sub-atomic particles (electrons and neuclei) of atoms phase in and out of existance. So when they are not here, then where are they, where is the matter that makes me up? Where are they when they are not here? Possibly a seperate universe, or possibly making up other things as well. So if at the sub-atomic level of what is making me up is literally simultaniously making up your body..... we are literally one.

The closest science has come to explaning the analogy Yehoshua Ben Yosef (AKA:JESUS) made when he stated:"The mustard seed is greater than the Kingdom of Heaven." is quantum physics.

Father, Son, Holy Ghost?
Neutron, Proton, Electron?
Administrative Branch, Executive Branch, Judicial Branch?
3rd rock from the sun?
Sun, Moon, Earth?
Symbolism is everywhere ...

and why can't God have more than 1 name? I myself have 3 names

[edit on 4-5-2005 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Sorry, didn't mean to seem so....dramatic. I'm just kinda....dramatic LoL

Truth is, I came across that image earlier today and just thought "there's my inner child!". I've just been waiting to find a spot to post her =)

So, o.k., you say: "just move the observer from the frontal cortex of your brain that relates to your "Self" and your identity"

Hmmm....I have discovered that my center of "self" seems to reside in or behind my eyes. When in a relaxed state, I can gently "shift" that center of awareness of being just a bit higher, to the point directly between my eyes.

When I do this, I "feel" like "I" am much, much larger than my physical body. In fact, the body seems but a spec within the much expanded perception of "self". It is then that the line is blurred between "self" and "other".

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Once again the pleasure of reading and discussing with the Esoteric Teacher! Wonderful.

Well as i have stated many many times, all religions primarily teach the same thing? Why, because it is part of our collective conciousness. The basic rules of life are built into us, some just need to have a god to put a name to the rule.

I know we all have some sort of inner connection, whether the explanation be scientific or spiritual is beyond me, but i feel we all have our own inner selves which tells us what is right or wrong and this is what we need to obey. If your inner self happens to tell you something a certain religion teaches, then follow that religion, if your inner self is unique and your right and wrong vary from those of anyone else... follow your own lead... just be aware for every action there is a reaction.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Father, Son, Holy Ghost?
Neutron, Proton, Electron?
Administrative Branch, Executive Branch, Judicial Branch?
3rd rock from the sun?
Sun, Moon, Earth?
Symbolism is everywhere ...
[edit on 4-5-2005 by Esoteric Teacher]

yes, and "Good,Bad and The Ugly"

...sorry I had to

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Curious enough, the observer is intangible. How real can reality be when the self that is determining it to be real is itself intangible?

This question, I believe, is not so hard to answer as it might seem. As Rene Descartes famously put it, "I think, therefore I am." Now, no matter how cleche that might sound, it's still the best, most definitive answer anyone can offer. I may be wrong, but I, myself, have yet to find or conceive of one better.

The harsh reality of this is that nothing is truly tangible; aside from one's own thoughts. And even then you have to redefine your definition of 'tangible' since you can not touch, see, smell, taste, or 'hear' your own mind (not to be confused with the brain). While all of your surroundings and senses can be assumed to be non-existant, you can not assume that your own thoughts do not exist (the action of assuming confirms that you think). In order to do this you would have to have two points of reference. Fortunately, the universe only gives us one: your individual thoughts.

back to instincts and one more thought I just recently had about them. Is it possible that perhaps the knowledge stored within us (instincts = software) may be slightly incompatible with the programming of our brain and the way we have it hardwired currently?

I believe it is more than just possible. Generally speaking, we are raised in a society that teaches us to ignore our instincts. Our instincts come as a default for survival, but for some reason or another, we tend to think that they are 'primative' and wrong, and will only lead us to trouble. This comes from the "do what you're told" attitude our society clings so tightly to. Eventually people become so seperated from their instincts that they are completely dependant on others to do their thinking for them. This sort of brainwashing starts when we are little, instigated by those around us, but eventually we begin to do it to ourselves without the influence of others. We rewire our own brains, and our original software, which came directly from the true singular source, lies dormant... atrophied.

It's a strange cycle we live in.

[edit on 4-5-2005 by CloudlessKnight]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
I love the way your minds work. Your thoughts are simply outstanding. I'm truly blessed to be taking this walk with you. This extreme excersise of thought is tantalizing. And those subdued to the ways of this world are binding themselves to it. Free thinking .... True free thinking, my friends, no one could quote Jesus directly and effectively demonstrate how these thoughts contradict his teachings. My friends, no one can quote Buddah and directly and demonstrate how these ideas we are discussing contradict his teachings. I'm going to begin a new thread and call it ..... hmmm, "The fast track to thinking outside the Box". Your input is always humbly requested and respected. Thank you all for your sincere honesty.

"It is better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you are not."
--Some one with insight--

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Sorry but i don't understand your ramblings on this issue , to me you seem like people who are drug induced hippies. Its a fact that we have evolved from monkeys, no need to revert back .
Try to explain your theory in a way that i can understand it please?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Dear Bulldog 52,

Drug induced state, interestingly a powerful statement. Not to revert back?

The most powerful pharmacy in the world exists within your brain which is called the hypothalmus. It creates the neuropeptides (microscopic strands of proteins) that are the information/communication with the individual cells of your body. Your cells can become addicted to these chemicals (neuropeptides). And as you age it is because the individual cells of your body have developed through evolution more receptors for the neuropeptides that they are addicted to, and have less receptors for the proteins and nutrients it needs to survive. Hence that is what makes us mortal.

Consider this:

Instincts. The accumilated knowledge passed onto to us by the consciousnesses that have preceded us. The human mind learns new ideas and concepts by the limitations of association. If you can not associate what you experience to known precepts in your mind, you won't integrate it. Every thought we have stems from the instincts granted to us by those who have preceded us.

What do lifeforms actions/behaviors tell us about instincts?

If you attack a puppy, it will cower in a defensive/submissive manner because that is the instinct within it.

If you attack a kitten, it will hiss and fight back in an offensive manner because that is the insticnt within it.

If you attack a baby, it will cry because it has no control over its environment. You came into this world and it was colder than anything you had experienced up to that point, you cried because you had no control over it. The nutrients were no longer supplied from the umbilicus. And soon you had to dispose of the wastes within all by yourself. And every day since then you have associated every new concept you've learned through the connections you form in your brain to the first thought in your brain of victimization. If you smiled at birth and never cried nor felt as though you were at the mercy of this world, then outside the box you were truly born.

Perhaps dear friend, evolution is real. Then the tidbits of information/knowledge of those monkeys were genetically encoded within us along with the gift of free will. Perhaps the accumilated experiences of those monkeys were wrong, but the information is still encoded within us and alters the way we view this world.
Hence the phrases:
"Original Sin", & "The sins of my forefathers".

Fruit of the tree ..... Tree of life .... Tree of knowledge ..... To know the difference between good and evil, knowing evil requires you have to jugde.

What right do we have to judge when we were told not to. Yet we do judge, because that instinct is in our genetic code, given to us by those who have preceded us.

[edit on 5/5/05 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Drug induced state, interestingly a powerful statement. Not to revert back?

The most powerful pharmacy in the world exists within your brain which is called the hypothalmus. It creates the neuropeptides (microscopic strands of proteins) that are the information/communication with the individual cells of your body. Your cells can become addicted to these chemicals (neuropeptides). And as you age it is because the individual cells of your body have developed through evolution more receptors for the neuropeptides that they are addicted to, and have less receptors for the proteins and nutrients it needs to survive. Hence that is what makes us mortal.

Amazing piece of information. Are the receptors for protein and nutrients the same type of receptors as the neuropeptide receptors, so the cell just rations out more receptors for the neuropeptides, or are there different types of receptors made for the task of receiving specific substances, meaning that the cell overproduces neuropeptide receptors?

I'm sure someone has gone over this before, but now I feel like dabbling in it... So is there no way to halt or slow down the production of neuropeptide receptors in cells and stimulate protein/nutrient receptors? Or increase the amount of neuropeptides present in the body (or would that just cause the body to become even more addicted and produce more neuropeptide receptors?)?

If you can not associate what you experience to known precepts in your mind, you won't integrate it.

I don't think that statement is 100% fact. Those known precepts had to have come from somewhere. If those precepts came from our ancesters, then how did they learn them? My point is that somewhere along the line, someone had to learn something new and be able to integrate it without some sort of preconceived notion. If evolution is real, then we obviously didn't appear on this earth with all the knowledge and instincts that we possess now. Our single-celled ancestors most probably did not have the same instincts we hold now either. We had to learn them through evolution. If our ancestors could evolve and learn new insticts, why shouldn't we?

The way you spoke of evolution and instincts would mean putting a ceiling over our heads that we can not pass. I say that our instincts are there for us to stand on... They are steps meant to help us ascend.

EDIT: Thanks for helping my brain do something other than rot.

[edit on 5-5-2005 by CloudlessKnight]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by CloudlessKnight

The way you spoke of evolution and instincts would mean putting a ceiling over our heads that we can not pass. I say that our instincts are there for us to stand on... They are steps meant to help us ascend.

That's exactly what I'm saying. But some of those first steps were the false/nontruths that are "original sin" , and the "sins of our forefathers."

Inherant knowledge isn't always the truth.

Outstanding analysis on your part. Simply beautiful! If I may suggest a movie that can provide you some input before you ask the next 5 questions and also address the questions about the cell's receptors in a more eloquent way than I usually do, rent the DVD: "What The Bleep Do We Know" , or check out the website:whatthebleep.com...

[edit on 5-5-2005 by CloudlessKnight]

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   
It was my second week as a member on ATS when i authored this thread nearly 2 years ago. Have my ideals changed? perhaps a little. Has my thread and post content changed? perhaps a little. Have i learned new things since then? If not, then what would be the use of being a member of ATS? I would most certainly like to believe i have.

Sometimes it's nice to reflect on the fact that ATS can be a learning experience for all of us, or else why are we here?

So, since this concept parrallels another thread which is similiar in content, and compliments the other, i thought i would re-direct this thread front and center for a moment, for numerous reasons.

thanks,
john

top topics

join