It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Stonehenge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I don't think I've seen this on ATS. There is a site in New Hampshire that is marketed as "America's Stonhenge".

Official Site: www.stonehengeusa.com...
Another Site: celts.ws...

They claim that this site is about 4000 years old, and either provides evidence of ancient Celtic activity in North America, or ancient Greek or Phoenician activity in North America, depending on who you ask. As an interesting side note, they also claim that this site was used as a stop on the Underground Railroad during slavery.

Anyone know anything about this? The main site doesn't have much info as far as what's been found there. I noticed the name Dr. Barry Fell is connected with some of the research, and I know there's some controversy about him and his claims in general:

cwva.org...

And the ATS verdict is... ?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I remember reading about that place before if I am not mistaken the problem is that many of the rocks were taken away when people settler in the area to built their cabins and stone fire places.

Later on some body notice that the stones were ancient, bought the place and started to collect the ancient stones and tried to put them back together the way that he imagine where in the first place.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I've never heard of this before. Very interesting. Since scientists dated it to 1525 B.C, I doubt it was Celtic peoples that made it, even though it bears strong similarities to their style, but you never know, ancient peoples have surprised us before.

I'm voting you for Way Above Top Secret, both because this thing is really cool, and because I had never heard of it before.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:36 PM
link   
You could also take the Native American perspective, and view Stonehenge and Carnac as evidence of the presence of Indians in early Britain and Europe... a'la Ignatius Donelly...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay
You could also take the Native American perspective, and view Stonehenge and Carnac as evidence of the presence of Indians in early Britain and Europe... a'la Ignatius Donelly...

Whoa, I can't believe I never thought of looking at it THAT way, before.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I concede it could be Celtic origin, but not proof of seamanship or regular trade routes. Celtic mariners could have been marooned in North America after being blown about by a storm. With no way of returning they would have built a life (houses and structures) that they were already familiar with in their homeland, lived out their lives, and died in North America.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:41 AM
link   
marg - Interesting, do you remember where you read that? I'm having trouble finding info online.

DragonsDemesne - Thanks for the vote! It's always gratifying to have my curiousity rewarded.

Chakotay - I'm not familiar with this theory. Could you elaborate please?

For anyone else interested, it seems that this site has also been called Mystery Hills Cave. Ring any bells? I'm having a hard time finding info on exactly what research has been done here. Apparently though, this site is talked about in a book called America B. C. by Dr. Barry Fell, has anyone read this?

I did find an article that outlines some different opinions about the site:

www.findarticles.com...

Basically the pros believe that the natives built it, others believe that it was the Celts. I haven't found enough info to form an opinion.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:52 AM
link   
There is some screwed up stuff here in America. We may have pyramids older than the Egyptians ones (My ASCC story is based on some of these located in Rock Lake, Wisconsin), we have stonehenge, as you pointed out, and a lot more bizzareness. Check out this site for some bizzare stuff, or go to your local book store and pick up a copy of Weird US (usually in the humor section...That'll show ya how the rest of the US views us conspiracy loons!), it's an interesting read. Kinda like if the ATS paranormal and ancient civilizations forums were all composed and thrown into a book format. Very groovy!

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 01:07 AM
link   
How many of you have read Barry Fell's "America BC"?

[edit on 4-5-2005 by Off_The_Street]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 04:05 PM
link   
i have a friend who lives in derry, NH. i'll ask her if shes heard of it

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by unclelester
marg - Interesting, do you remember where you read that? I'm having trouble finding info online.

It was on the discovery channel the people that are in charge of the place were talking about how the place came to be, also the point out what happen went the area started to have people moving in back in the days and how some of the stones were taken for the construction of the fireplaces.

How the the first person to really discover the place for what it was more than just a pile of rocks started to collect the missing rocks and tried to build the place again by patterns.

It was very interesting and I remember because it was one of the kind in the US.

I saw the program about a year ago.

It is very interesting and the origins were tought to be celtic but not prove has been found.

posted on May, 25 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I've been to America's Stonehenge in person before, was pretty interesting, if I remember correctly it had some kind of sun dial device on the site, if your ever in new england check it out.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
i have been there before. it is a great place to walk around.
There are stones that delineate the cardinal points of the compass & also the solstices. To see the sun setting/rising over these markers is impressive. My kids liked that you could go into the low caves made from stone and see through these little lookouts that overlooked the path up.

they have a small museum with a video. there is a giftshop with books written about the place as well. Write them for a brosure (sp?) it has lots of pics to look at. I could check my puter at home for some images that I shot there.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Since the place has supposedly been seen by archaeologists and scholars of ancient languages, I just googled for their commentaries on scholar.google.com

Interesting results.

Some attribute it to an 1800's building project by one Johnathan Patee.

Kinberly Alexander is a scholar with some ... very odd ... papers on the site. I love the title of this presentation -- "America's Stonehenge, (A.S.), Its "Window into the Past," Jung's "Reincarnations," and Problems Like "A Wonderful Mind" Are Associated With Time-recurret Natural Phenomena Monitored By Native Americans Impacting Religous Zealotry."

Ain't that a mouthfull?:
www.aps.org...

Now that I look, the bulk of the scholarly papers are by the "American Physical Society."

The least sensationalist site I've found about this (it looks pretty balanced) is this:
www.unmuseum.org...

...but I don't see any papers by the supposed scholars that presumably studied it, which I find rather interesting. If I spend a year or two studying a site, I'm darn well going to publish my findings on it and present it to all the large society meetings.

DO post the pics, ShadowWatcher! That would be cool.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Off_The_Street
How many of you have read Barry Fell's "America BC"?

[edit on 4-5-2005 by Off_The_Street]

Just finished.
Well a few pages left perhaps.

en.wikipedia.org...

www.google.com...

Made a few comments in an Atlantis topic cause he put man
over the Atlantic Sea where Atlantis might be.

He used well documented UK and Europe language in a book
that had the first 13 alphabets unknown as they were older and
found them in America.

Celts, Iberian, Libyans and Egyptian writing from Main to
Oklahoma, Louisiana to Canada indicate a B.C. presence.

Ships of Tarshish, mentioned at least three times in the bible,
were ocean going.

Celtic writing was digital with the number of lines for different
letters and had corresponding Latin meanings. The fall of
Rome 55 A.D. apparently stopped the trade to America.
A Roman calendar adjustment had already been updated
in America.

So the land beyond the Atlantic Ocean was well known to a
few, most notably Spain and Portugal who set Columbus
a sail.

posted on Feb, 4 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Looking into "Saga America" by Dr Fell that has a lot of illustrations
of America and North African similar markings.

He goes into the responses from his first book that proved good
for this second book.

posted on May, 15 2010 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I just found reference to Egyptian History in Fell's book and wonder
if there is impact from Velikovsky's new historical arrangement.

So far 300 B.C. is the starting point and that might be problem.
There were great periods of non Egyptian rulers of Egypt.
That might be the reasons.

new topics

top topics

join