It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YOU were FORCED to be a christian / catholic!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL
jezebel...

good post...

so, what will you tell your kids about God???

(everyone, notice i have a capital "G" in God. YES i AM a christian too...)

will you also tell them of santa clause and the easter bunny???

Not having any, so it's not much of a concern. However, if I were to have my own kids, I'd tell them the same thing I tell my 6 year old niece. Her dad's parents are 7th day Adventists and have introduced her to the concept of Hell. One night she told me that she dreamt that her dad was being killed and torn apart by demons! I explained to her that, while her Gram and Gramps might believe that there is such a place as Hell, theirs was only one of many different beliefs. I told her that there are some people who believe that we are reborn in new bodies after we die; some people believe nothing happens and we just stop existing; and some people (myself included) believe that when we die, we rejoin the infinite source of everything and become part of the One again.
I also told her that since none of us really know what happens, we'll just have to find out when we get there, but that I'm not worried, because if there is a God of love and light and nothing can oppose Its will, then there's nothing to fear anyways.

As my niece gets older and more inquisitive, I will do my best to aid her in her quest for understanding, but I will NEVER tell her what she should or should not believe. My goal, as someone she looks up to, is merely to set a good example for her to follow and to help guide her thru all the obstacles she will face on her way to being a independent adult.

As for Santa Clause, I don't know if I would tell my kids (were I to have any) he was real or not...I never believed in him, but I do like the magical aspect of believing in something fantastical, and kids are the only ones who can really experience that, so I really don't know.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I have told my son there is a santa and I will tell him all about the tooth fairy too. Some Christians I know disagree with this but I also think childhood is a magical time and very short lived.
Childhood is really the only time you are free (without all the hassles and worries) to explore your imagination in a positive way. For a child there are no boundaries.
While I tell him of the good fantasies I steer clear of witches, monsters etc I want his imagination to be a positive experience for as long as possible (he is 3). I dont think this is harmful I think its healthy.
When he gets older I will answer his questions to the best of my knowledge and I will be honest and tell him 'I dont know' if that is the case.
I include Jesus in his life eg; I tell him rainbows are from Jesus to remind us we are loved. Thats as far as I go at this time.
I wont deny other faiths as he grows older and will explain though Christianity is my faith many people believe many things and it is up to each person to decide for themselves.
In honesty I dont know if this makes its more difficult for a person to decide their faith (or not) but I do believe it will mean he has to make a decision for himself.
One problem I see when children are raised taking on their parents faith is that if the parents have a slight variation in their belief the child can also take this on board, through time it can become distorted. I am in no way saying this always happens but I have seen bits of misinformation become indoctrinated.
I would much prefer my son to do his own thinking and come to his own conclusions, I believe in sharing knowledge and adjusting our own thinking in light of new information.
My thinking on any subject is not set in stone because there is always the possibility I will learn something new that will change/alter my perception.
I think being unable to consider someone elses perspective leads to problems and intolerance.
As a Christian I am unable to accept that someone of a different faith will not be accepted by God. This does not go down too well with Christians I know!
I can not accept that one religion is right and the others are wrong. I believe it is what is in your heart that matters and that it is personal choice that dictates the manner in which we communicate with Jesus/God. (our choice of displaying our faith). I am totally honest with God. He knows of my muddles. Theres no point in my lying or trying to deceive Him!
If I am a faithful Muslim or a faithful Christian how can one be better than the other? I would believe I was being true to my God which ever way.

posted on May, 8 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
good points you two...

i am glad you said what you said...

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

children born to christian parents were "forced" to be christians
children borm to jewish parents were "forced" to be jewish
children born to islamic parents were "forced" to be muslims
children born to a buhdist(sp) were "forced" to be buhdist

[qoute]
atheists aren't forced...

"Theforcehuh?Youhavefreewiiltoexcercise.Choiceisyourstootomake.SothatyouknowwhhoIAMandyouknowtruth:
Atheist Behold I come like a thief in the night, at heist! This is a stick up so that you may be elevated." "And not fall again from the truth."

[edit on 9/5/05 by Esoteric Teacher]

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
At heist. What happens at a heist? Some one gets something taken away. What has Truth taken from you? FEAR. "Behold I come like a thief in the night, be not afraid."

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
At heist. What happens at a heist? Some one gets something taken away. What has Truth taken from you? FEAR. "Behold I come like a thief in the night, be not afraid."

'At heist'..; this word play carries as much weight as 'dog' spelt backwards.. though I'll agree that when I became an atheist I lost fear- is that what you mean?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join