It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you measure vegatables?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Yes, I'm a 33 year old man and I am just now trying to learn how to cook, and get away from "bachelor" foods.

Measuring carrots would be easy, just cut them and put them in a cup. But what about broccoli? Or green peppers (like the recipe I am trying to cook now). How in the heck do you get a half of cup of green peppers?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
same way you did the carrots, cut them up and fill into a measuring cup.

I personally never use a measuring cup unless I am baking. Half a cup is usually a handful for me. A cup is both hands full.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Thanks! That's what I figured but it just seemed strange since the way you cut them would determine how they fill up a measuring cup. I already caught my first mistake tonight. The directions said a saucepan. I thought a saucepan was a big frying pan, so I put the ingredients in a frying pan. It didn't look right, so I googled "saucepan" and found out the direction meant a small pot! Why didn't they say so!

(I'm trying to make "Mama Sita's" caldereta)

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:43 PM
link   
mmm yummy, I havent' cooked with mama sita in a while, now that you remind me of it, maybe i will.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:19 PM
link   
I am just pleased this is not another politically incorrect "George W Bush's IQ" thread.

Don't measure them, just eat them, they're good for you. Recipes that put vegetables in cups are for potato-heads. Cautionary note: a cup is not both hands full until you know the cup size.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Hmmmmmm. If you are a real "stickler", try putting the broccoli into a blender, then you can get a cup of broccoli by simply POURING the broccoli exactly up to the "one cup" level on your measuring cup. This may not be what Grandma's recipe called for figuratively, but it certainly is if you take Grandma literally.

new topics

top topics

join