It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Origins of Satan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
After researching into Sumerian mythology i've come to find that the origins of gods/dieties can be traced back to Sumerian tales. This continues through egyptian, greek, roman gods through to modern time. I'e comet o equate Enlil with Allah and Enki with the modern day satan. What i find suprising is the fact that although enlil treated mankind cruelly - it is allah or the lord god in the bible that has come to be worshipped and Enki seen as evil. The symbol for Enki was often a snake and then symbolised wisdom and health, yet know it has come to be a symbol of evil. It was enki who tempted man to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil and who saved manking from the great deluge/flood in the original accounts of biblical tales.
Does anyone else have alternative interpretations of these gods?

Also , i'd like to find out how and when it was the enki - the great scientist who had empathy for humans -has been distorted to represent evil and deciet....
I've become deeply intrueged by enki (especially with being a modern satanist myself) and would greatly appreciate any information, theories or perspectives regarding him.

Thanks

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I'm actually curious as to why you equate Enki to Satan? Perhaps because his crown was made up of two horns?

I found this though and quite informative.
www.mystae.com...

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Hi - thanks for the link

I think i first starting drawing comparisons with enki and satan when i looked into the sumerian myth of Inanna and the Huluppa tree - the tale is very similar to the biblical tale of the tree of knowledge of good and evil and i believe the serpent (now thought of as the devil) was enki as he tried to give humans knowledge and free will and his symbol was the serpent (representing wisdom). Enki was depicted frequently with horns.

The babylonian version of enki (ea) was also shown as a snake yet took the form of a goat when he roamed earth.

Also the egyptian god Ptah seems to be their version of enki. Ptah was also worshipped as a goat or ram.
Heres a links that might interest you:

www.storyhouse.org...

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I just want to remind you all that both good and evil comes from God. Hence Satan is not necasarily the bringer of evil. It can just as well be God. When God destroyed mankind, this was an evil thing, but he did it in the name of Love and rightiousness. That the seeds of evil planted by the 200 fallen ones illegaly should be washed to the sea and not fill the Earth with poisenous plants.

God saved one family among the sons of Man, a party of eight. And he picked out couples among the beasts of the fields and the birds of the sky (how many night owls he saved I don't know, but it seems he atleast saved one
).

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Also , i'd like to find out how and when it was the enki - the great scientist who had empathy for humans -has been distorted to represent evil and deciet....

You of course, have answered your own question... What else would ancient Bible thumpers see a scientist as, other than a great evil???

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lilith
I've become deeply intrueged by enki (especially with being a modern satanist myself) and would greatly appreciate any information, theories or perspectives regarding him.

The thing is that one must remember the Great Judge God here how he judged the incidence by the Tree of Wisdom, how Satan was cast out of Heaven for the first time. How he went from Kerub to vagabond because he tempted Woman into braking God's command when Woman hadn't got the ability to discern lies (she hadn't the knowledge of good and evil). Hence Satan was the first evil force Humans met. However, as I understand it, it wasn't Satan personally who was the serpent. He only possessed the serpent who was really your name sister Lilit, Adam's first wife, as far as I know.

Satanism is kind of a lost train, isn't it?

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 04:53 AM
link   
The point made about satan possessing Lilith is interesting - i do recall that she was in the tree.
As for satanism being a one way train.....are you meaning to hell? If so then i'd like to add that the actions i commit are not motivated by the promise of a rewarding afterlife or threat of hell. If that wasnt what you mean ....please elaborate .
As for your other points , i cant really comment as i do not believe in a one judging god. Thanks for your response

Gazrok - i agree completly, i suppose i did already know the answer to my own question. Its easier to control people who are praising a controlling god, than if gods that fought for autonomy and knowledge for humans were allowed. Is this perhaps why gods (elohim) was interpreted as god in the bible? I'm not sure... any info at all is welcome!!!

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 07:12 AM
link   

The point made about satan possessing Lilith is interesting - i do recall that she was in the tree.

I don't remember where I found out this, but this is how I understand the whole incidence by the Tree of Knowledge.

As for satanism being a one way train.....are you meaning to hell? If so then i'd like to add that the actions i commit are not motivated by the promise of a rewarding afterlife or threat of hell. If that wasnt what you mean ....please elaborate .
As for your other points , i cant really comment as i do not believe in a one judging god. Thanks for your response

It's just that it seems Satan has lost just about everything he had obtained from God. The great Kerub who turned to the dark side and desitned Man to death and dualism and became a fiend of all life and the bringer of lies and confusion, false accusations and temptation. Pretty self destructive if you ask me. At least that's my opinion seen from a Christian perspective. It is written that in Paradise even Lilit will find peace

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 07:32 AM
link   
hi again
I'm not sure which branches of satanism you have looked in to, but modern satanism (which i support) does not incorporate the actual being satan into its philosophy - it does not favour 'evil' or advocate following satan. Its a humanistic philosophy.Whatever i personally see as wrong, i do no act upon.

Your belief that anyone can find peace in 'paradise' is quite refreshing, as many have a more arrogant view of who gets in to heaven and who is punished.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Satan aka Lucifer.

That was his name.

No matter how you look at legends or myths, there is only one truth in all of it.

He was thee Lucifer thrown out of heaven along with 1/3 of Gods angels. Lucifer was* Gods favorite angel and very beautiful at one time.

So he wanted to be equal to God... Now he has his own realm.

Does anybody know how Satan achieved his powers?
Has anybody heard the story, I have never been able to confirm it. This is what I heard. Satan broke into Gods library
a place where secrets are kept. I'm not sure what is in there. Anyways, he stole the secrets to power.

Now, why hasn't anybody else done this? Is it because they are loyal and trust worthy to God? Thee heaven would only hold those type of people?

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 09:12 AM
link   

hi again
I'm not sure which branches of satanism you have looked in to, but modern satanism (which i support) does not incorporate the actual being satan into its philosophy - it does not favour 'evil' or advocate following satan. Its a humanistic philosophy.Whatever i personally see as wrong, i do no act upon.

OK. So it's a kind of concious indifference? You don't trust any deity for help and vengance and you don't fight unfairness and the unjust? Seems almost like a Gehenna romance to me. "I'm going to Hell and I'm proud of it" kinda logic
Exactly what I meant with Satanism being a lost train. I understand the sympathy (empathy?) for the haunted souls and the quenched fires, but I don't understand the indifference. If noone pleaded before God for the sinners, noone would inherit the Earth, and destruction would be complete, perhaps even God would destroy himself, for without Love there is no God. And with no God, there is no life. Just an empty void

Your belief that anyone can find peace in 'paradise' is quite refreshing, as many have a more arrogant view of who gets in to heaven and who is punished.

Well 'Paradise' was perhaps not the right word, but Lilith and the other restless beasts of "indipendence" will inherit the land of Edom in the end, and this will be their place of fulfillment and rest. Though it seems like it's a horrible place, it's the place where these beasts shall find rest and peace. A kind of paradise relative to these beasts' and birds' longing. Their place of fulfillment. Though I never understood why they always wanted it this way. But who can understand why the desertfox lives in the desert and not in the fruitful plains where streams of fresh water flow and there is plenty of food

Isaiah 34:9�The streams of [Edom] shall be turned into zehfet, and the dust of it into sulfur, and the land of it shall become burning zehfet. 10�It shall not be quenched night nor day; the smoke of it shall go up for ever; from generation to generation it shall lie waste; none shall pass through it forever and ever. 11�But the ka`at and the porcupine shall possess it; and the owl and the raven shall dwell therein: and he will stretch over it the line of confusion, and the plummet of emptiness. 12�They shall call the nobles of it to the kingdom, but none shall be there; and all its princes shall be nothing. 13�Thorns shall come up in its palaces, nettles and thistles in the fortresses of it; and it shall be a habitation of jackals, a court for ostriches. 14�The wild animals of the desert shall meet with the wolves, and the wild goat shall cry to his fellow; yes, the Lilit shall settle there, and shall find her a place of rest. 15�There shall the dart-snake make her nest, and lay, and hatch, and gather under her shade; yes, there shall the kites be gathered, everyone with her mate. 16�Seek you out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall be missing, none shall want her mate; for my mouth, it has commanded, and his Spirit, it has gathered them. 17�He has cast the lot for them, and his hand has divided it to them by line: they shall possess it forever; from generation to generation shall they dwell therein.

Somehow I believe that everyone will be happy in the end. The wiery will all find their place of rest. For some this place is a green field or the blue sky, for some it's the high mountain or the the deep of the ocean and for some it's the desolate place and the dry desert. God is Love after all. Allthough Love is something of the least understandable of everything that exists under the Sun.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 09:43 AM
link   
A reply to Katie:
"No matter how you look at legends or myths, there is only one truth in all of it.
He was thee Lucifer thrown out of heaven along with 1/3 of Gods angels. Lucifer was* Gods favorite angel and very beautiful at one time.
So he wanted to be equal to God... Now he has his own realm. "

As far as i'm aware there is only one myth/tale that supports this and that is the bible..... what other myths also support this 'truth' ?

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 09:51 AM
link   
lol - you seem to have caught the wrong end of the stick here, or i have explained this badly....

"You don't trust any deity for help and vengance"
Ok - firstly i dont believe in dieties to trust, but i read religious texts and philosophy and absorb what i will, no matter the source.

" you don't fight unfairness and the unjust?"
Ofcourse i fight unfairness and the unjust....... i'm not sure where the idea i didnt came from. When i said i dont act upon what i believe to be wrong ...i meant that similar to you , i class certain behaviour as wrong and i do not commit it..... i have morals but a different set if you see what i mean. I didnt mean that i dont try to stop what i feel is wrong .....

"I'm going to Hell and I'm proud of it"
Well i dont believe there is a 'hell' - it doesnt seem a very productive concept to me . I feel pride about my standards and outlook.... not that others feel i will be punished for it, - that wouldnt make sense....

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 10:42 AM
link   

lol - you seem to have caught the wrong end of the stick here, or i have explained this badly....

"You don't trust any deity for help and vengance"
Ok - firstly i dont believe in dieties to trust, but i read religious texts and philosophy and absorb what i will, no matter the source.

" you don't fight unfairness and the unjust?"
Ofcourse i fight unfairness and the unjust....... i'm not sure where the idea i didnt came from. When i said i dont act upon what i believe to be wrong ...i meant that similar to you , i class certain behaviour as wrong and i do not commit it..... i have morals but a different set if you see what i mean. I didnt mean that i dont try to stop what i feel is wrong .....

"I'm going to Hell and I'm proud of it"
Well i dont believe there is a 'hell' - it doesnt seem a very productive concept to me . I feel pride about my standards and outlook.... not that others feel i will be punished for it, - that wouldnt make sense....

I think I understand it better now. Thank you for explaining it to me. Sorry that I misuderstood the part with "don't act on it". I thought you meant that you said you see evil, but don't care to do anything with it. English is only my second language, so sometimes I don't understand the way I should

I'm not gonna dig further into it. I have my ways and you have yours. I hope we can all live in peace one day and all find a place to rest our heads and find the fulfillment we long for. This fulfillment for me is to wake up to see a fruitful garden where the lions eat grass like the ox and sleeps with the lambs in peace. For the Lilit it's a place where nothing haunts her for her nature and past and noone dominates her. For all of us it will be the place where we belong and should always been allowed to belong.

Blesings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 10:47 AM
link   
According to the Qur'an, Iblis (Satan) was cast out of heaven when he disobeyed God's command to bow down to Adam saying he was greater than Adam because he was made from clay but Iblis was made from fire.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I was under the impression also, that Lucifer was cast down for objecting of God putting man before angels, when his kind came first...war in heaven, all that sort of thing...

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
According to the Qur'an, Iblis (Satan) was cast out of heaven when he disobeyed God's command to bow down to Adam saying he was greater than Adam because he was made from clay but Iblis was made from fire.

Yes, angels are made from fire and life on Earth is made from clay. Like the Tannakh also says. Clay is made of dust and water and depends on fire and air to keep it's shape, while fire depends on air, is quenched by water and absorbs dust.

Wasn't Iblis the name Satan had while he was a Kerub?

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 01:53 PM
link   
mikromarius - the reson you didnt understand was due to the way i explained it , i'm sorry about that.

About satan being cast out being in the koran as well as the bible - i've always thought that perhaps islam ,christianity and judaism have the same roots, as they do correspond with each other on many issues and history.

There is a tale about enki getting cast away in sumerian mythology which some believe is the derivitive of the tale of satan being cast down to hell by god.....

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Lilith, do you have any good links to online texts of these Summerian tales. I've heared about them many times before, but I've never actually read them.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Aug, 1 2003 @ 10:29 AM
link   
the idea that satan was cast out of heaven also has it roots in a sumerian tale.... (thats if you believe sumerian accounts to be older than biblical ones) as enki is banished from heaven and earth ....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join