It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bible contains sumerian mythology

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by pixilair
Anu is the Sumerian top God, Enki and Enlil were his sons who were given control of the land and sea. Anu stayed in his ship orbiting tha earth in the 'heavens'.

Almost like Ra (the Sun), Geb (the sky) and Silene (the Moon) in Egyptian mythology. Interresting. I'll ask again. Is there any online text of the Gilgamesh somewhere, I can't seem to find one. Only surveys and interpretations. How can I obtain these texts?

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 04:45 PM
link   
perhaps this site would suffice...or lead to links

[milloftime.homestead.com...]

my storage file has ; /CoreMyths.html
on the end, but
the URL is
enough?

just guessing it's not a dead end,
for actual texts, u'd search Universities, like Penn States'

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:02 PM
link   
i guessed wrong,
the Core Myth address was/been/is disabled

best to do GOOGLE>Sumer creation myths
...........................(you'll get , sumer-faq.html , or such)

members.bellatlantic.net

pubpages.unh.edu

ONE OF THESE IS THE EXACT DOSSIER THAT the homestead.com had on it, re: Core Myths,
i thought it good enough to dig up,

have a good day

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by riffraffalunas

i guessed wrong,
the Core Myth address was/been/is disabled

best to do GOOGLE>Sumer creation myths
...........................(you'll get , sumer-faq.html , or such)

members.bellatlantic.net

pubpages.unh.edu

ONE OF THESE IS THE EXACT DOSSIER THAT the homestead.com had on it, re: Core Myths,
i thought it good enough to dig up,

have a good day

I'll see what I can find. I'll post a link or two here if I can find something. Please, if any of you find the Gilgamesh aor other texts, post the links here.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Whurf. Okay, we're getting stuff scrambles.

The tale of the beginning of humans/the world/etc (which Stichin has mangled with his romanticized fantasies (the guy can't translate for beans!)) is called Enuma Elish.

You can find Enuma Elish (the Sumerian creation story) here: (it's short)
www.sacred-texts.com...
and here
www.sacred-texts.com...

The summary of what's in the Epic of Gilgamesh is here:
www.sacred-texts.com...

(note there's no references to beginnings or creation in it)

And if you search this site for Gilgamesh, you will find translations of all the tablets:
www.piney.com...

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Thanx Byrd for the links. I found much of your links very interresting, especially the last one. Again thanx alot!

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Aug, 19 2003 @ 07:10 AM
link   
When one asks a question one usualy finds the answer is a series of even more complex questions. The nature of reality seems to be telling us something very quitely.

I grew up going to sunday school and therefore know and enjoy the bible as a mysterious interactive programme that lies at the heart of the western consiousness.

Gennisis is poetry. Its power is its ability to hold the attention of man at his core. The problem is ap
lying this mystisism to hard core scientific facts. Alot of people look for advanced knowledge in the bible to validate it.

I asked myself how can the world be created is six days when our telascopes stare back billions of years and see the creation of galixies taking millenia?

How can one make sence of curious pasages such as Genisis 1:6 And God said let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters.
7 And God made the firmament and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.

Knowing the bible had a lot of facts I assumed that mabe Genisis was correct I siply did not understand correctly what was being said.

I have concluded now that genisis is a condenced version of the Ena Elish. The seven days of creation were not seven days at all they were seven seperate tablets. Each Tablet dedicated to the act of creation of six seperate gods and the seventh tablet reserved for the worship of the supreame God Anu.

These Gods were endowed with the powers or qualities of nature. I agree with Sitchins thesis that these Gods were in fact planets or celestial objects. There is a good case for this as the Summarian Astronimas were second to none.

Sitchens enterprataion is contraversial as is all his work. What I like about his work is his ability to reconcile Genisis and the evolution of our system soal.
To this day niether the church nor astronimas can proveide a theory that works as well as Sitchens which are in turn based on the oldest written documents in the world. Not something to be ignored.

The Enuma Elish: "The (other) half of her he set up as a screen for the skies: locking them together, as watchmen he stationed them...
He bent Tiamats tail to form the Great Band as a bracelet. If we asume these gods are planets and that the winds are sattalites and the destinies are orbits then we have a very convincing discription of systems evolution with a little help from the Gods.

The forementioned passage discribes the seperation of Tiamat. Sitcin myself and others belive the astaroid belt is the resadue of a earth impact which occured in the young solar system. The evidence for this impact can be found in the pasific the earths crust is alot thinner thier. If that was not so the earth would be covered in water. This theory would also explain the large amount of Ice present in comets and the astaroid belt.

If the waters above the fermament were refered to as an astaroid belt the genisis acount would make more sence.

How can one explain the existance of Panjia given our knowledge of centrifical force?
How can one explain the existance of the astaroid belt given our knowledge of systems evolution.
Where does the moon come from?
What are we and what are we doing here?

It is a romantic idea that the answers to all of these questions have been here all along we just havent been interperating the messages corectly.

Sitchen is not an easy author to read. He is German. A good book is Gods Of The New Millennium by Alan F Alford. Its one of thoes books you cant put down. Try to get it in hard back it is well worth the money

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Quote: "The Sumerian society is over 1000 years older than the Jewish, as well as Gilgamesh which was written at least 500 years before Genesis began to be written down."

Excellent!!! Although a Jew will never tell you that there are Older Cultures & Civilizations that the Hebrews Borrowed From!!!

Now Everybody go out & Study Zoroastrianism & The Original Khemetic Religions & Read the "Book of Enoch" - That should shed some light on the subject - it might even inform you as to what "Point of View" Jesus was coming from!!! Why did he stress the fact that the Pharisees "Locked Up" the keys to Salvation?

Gospels:

"Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is HYPOCRISY.

For ye shut up the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN before Men.

And thus ye have made, that the Commandment of God is Without Effect, Through your Traditions - HYPOCRITES"!

posted on Aug, 1 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 29MV29

Sumerian society flourished around 5000 years ago, and thats why Iraq which at one time was called Sumeria is considered the Cradle of Civilization.

posted on Oct, 22 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Lilith

Well have you ever done your research? If you look into the matter carfully you will see that evidence backs up that fact that these stories have been taken from the bible and copied by other civilizations. We spent a whole year studying it in school. DO YOUR RESEARCH! It is actually pretty cool.

posted on Oct, 23 2008 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by enoch

Have you ever heard of the growing earth theory? I have no idea if it's true, would be impossible to actually prove I think. But it does make sense.

If you figure the earth was very small, it would be 100% covered with water at first. As the earth expanded, the water would take up less area, and eventually the ground would start to split the oceans and rise up above the sea floor.

Interesting about this is how we find ancient sea fossils deep inland. And how it appears the majority of life on this planet evolved in the sea at first, not from land. Which also seems to support the theory, and it makes sense in the context of what the ancient texts say.

This guy suggests that it was all land, with seas. But then you have to wonder where all the water comes from, so I'm not exactly sure if he's right. I dunno, but it's interesting.

[edit on 23-10-2008 by badmedia]

posted on Oct, 30 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
You know something I have always found interesting?? That many middle eastern religions worshipped snakes, and then in the Garden of Eden, Eve commited the first sin by eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil by a serpent that talked her into it. Most religions always turned the previoius gods into evil beings so that they could eradicate that religion. Almost all ancient religious stories were one some others stories first. Kind of like how the Romans took over the Greeks gods and renamed them.

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
thanks for this thread
Sumerians have interested me quite a bit lately
in fact they are even becoming more interesting than mayans

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lilith
I'm not sure if anyone has ever researched into this (i find that most followers of the bible do not seem to - though i advise they do if they take their religion seriously).
Many tales in the bible are in fact condesnsed versions of sumerian accounts. Exaples - incase anyone is interested in looking further in to this - are the tree of knowledge of good and evil, the creation, the flood. The sumerian versions are actually more detailed. I find it really difficult to understand how these are not thought to be more probable and reliable the biblical tales......

If humans had a common origin...
...wouldn't it be reasonable that they had common stories...
...with variations due to transmission and culture?

What has detail got to with it?
If a work has a different purpose, detail would vary accordingly...
...I don't outline my entire knowledge or world-view each time I write something...
...I leave stuff in or out depending on my purpose and the people I am communicating with.

I find it strange that people have a problem with this given that the Hebrew nation is the oldest surviving group of people from ancient times...
...while there are no surviving Sumerians or Dynastic Egyptians.

A case can easily be made for the reliability of the Hebrew manuscripts...
...and the common stories add to their reliability not detract from them.

[edit on 24/1/10 by troubleshooter]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lilith
Many tales in the bible are in fact condesnsed versions of sumerian accounts. Exaples - incase anyone is interested in looking further in to this - are the tree of knowledge of good and evil, the creation, the flood.

yea, but you are assuming that one is borrowing from the other without any proof.

The sumerian versions are actually more detailed. I find it really difficult to understand how these are not thought to be more probable and reliable the biblical tales......

actually they dont. and im not sure how you can say that

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seraphim_Serpente
Quote: "The Sumerian society is over 1000 years older than the Jewish, as well as Gilgamesh which was written at least 500 years before Genesis began to be written down."

Any Jew and any historian knows that...
...Genesis was written by Moses and his scribes during the Exodus...
...this began 430 years after the promise to Abraham...
...Abraham lived as a boy in the household of Noah when Noah was very old...
...Noah died 350 years after the Flood, at the age of 950...
...The Sumarians/Gilgamesh were contemporary with Noah...
...and were the decendants of one of his sons.

Excellent!!! Although a Jew will never tell you that there are Older Cultures & Civilizations that the Hebrews Borrowed From!!!

That is plain rubbish...
...the Jewish people clearly state that they did not exist until the Exodus...
...but their Patriach's co-existed with the Sumarians.

Now Everybody go out & Study Zoroastrianism & The Original Khemetic Religions & Read the "Book of Enoch" - That should shed some light on the subject

Enoch was one of Israel's patriachs...
...Enoch was the grandson of Adam.

it might even inform you as to what "Point of View" Jesus was coming from!!! Why did he stress the fact that the Pharisees "Locked Up" the keys to Salvation?

Gospels:

"Beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, which is HYPOCRISY.

For ye shut up the KINGDOM OF HEAVEN before Men.

And thus ye have made, that the Commandment of God is Without Effect, Through your Traditions - HYPOCRITES"!

So what in your opinion are the keys of Salvation?

[edit on 24/1/10 by troubleshooter]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Once the jews and Romans killed Jesus, they took his religion and modified it to benefit them... they then spread it... its not true Christianity, its pagan sun worship hog wash of bull# that i dislike because it misleads and confuses people...

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Lilith

Much to the dismay of many adherents to Hebrew and Jewish history, who tend to frame all knowledge and history as belonging to them, Abram's father, Terah, was a priest of the gods of Ur. Someone left this fact out in a previous post and only mentioned that Abram was raised in the house of Noah.

Terah was a worshipper of Marduk, the celestial warrior god, Mars. .......... Terah came from a long line of Oracle priests and the first disciples of the Zodiacian secret mysteries.

The priestly dynasty passed down through the daughter of Ur, called On, who was the mother of Nahor, the grandfather of Abram. The traditions were then passed on to Terah and Abram. While Abram was secreted away from the deadly grasp of Nimrod, he learned the art of writing and the mysteries and secrets of the heavens from his father. The oracular mysteries were confined within the dynasty of his family.

www.biblesearchers.com...

Abram, being the son of a Sumerian Priest in Ur was likely well schooled in the religion of Sumer/Sumeria which eventually became Babylon and Akkadia. Abram/Abraham likely carried many of the Sumerian religious concepts with him. History shows that Abraham is the father of the Abramic faiths namely Judaism, Islam and Christianity which all echo the Sumerian stories.

The oldest of the Sumerian/Akkadian clay tablets, many found in Nineveh, date back to 3500BCE (some say 2500BCE) predating anything Hebrew/Heburu/Jewish by well over a 1000-1500 years . They include the Epoch of Gilgamesh (flood story), Creation story and the creation of man by the Annanaki gods.

Furthermore, during the Babylonian captivity of the Hebrews/Jews they were well exposed to the same Sumerian/Babylonian "myths" which they carried with them out of captivity.

Monotheism was added much later - not until the eighth century BC and afterward did the writers strengthen the monotheistic doctrine by constantly reminding Israel of the vast gulf that separated the Lord from pagan idols and the so called gods that they represented (Hos. 4:12; Isa. 2:8, 20; 17:8; 31:7; Jer. 10:5,10). After Jerusalem was destroyed in 586 BC the people of Judah abandoned idolatry once and for all. The polytheism of Babylon was revolting to the exiles and helped to make the Jews a truly monotheistic people.

[edit on 24-1-2010 by Emptiness Dancing]

posted on Jan, 24 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Hi Lilith and welcome.
Good topic, informative and controversial...

No cites or sites provided by OP. What about it is good and informative?

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
christinity and judaisim are based on older beliefs of those areas just different names and people to go with it

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join