It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: 13 Year Old Girl in Florida Granted Abortion by Courts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
A Florida judge today ruled that the 13 year old girl at the center of the abortion case was allowed to have an abortion. Gov. Jeb Bush stated that the state will not appeal the case further. The courts ruled that she is competent to make the decision for herself.

www.washingtonpost.com
Juvenile Judge Ronald Alvarez ruled Monday that the teen, who has been in state custody for four years, would not be physically or emotionally harmed by the procedure. Last week, Alvarez blocked the girl's abortion until a psychological evaluation was completed.

"He ruled that she is competent, that she has made a decision and that she has a right to act on that decision," said Howard Simon, executive director of the Florida American Civil Liberties Union, which represented the girl.

It was unclear Tuesday whether the girl, 14 weeks pregnant and known only as L.G. in court papers, had yet undergone an abortion. Calls to the girl's attorneys seeking an update were not immediately returned.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This news comes as the latest in an ongoing debate as to the circumstances surrounding the girl's pregnancy, her financial and living situation, and her competency to make the decision, carry the child to term, and care for the child.

I feel that this was the best choice for the welfare of the child. She knew she made a bad decision, and she wanted to rectify it. She knew that she couldn't care for the child, and made a very informed, adult decision about it.

I consider this a win for human rights.

Related News Links:
hosted.ap.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: 13yr Old Denied Abortion By Florida Court.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
I just doubt she's capable of making "adult" decisions, given the circumstance. The whole thing is tragic. Her former parents deserve to be whipped.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   
It is a tragedy that this child has to go through this adult decisions when she is just but a child.

It bothers me that is not mention of who make her pregnant or who had sexual relationship with her.

Also the state can not said much because she became pregnant "Under their Care" so the state was not protecting the child while under their supervision.

The child should not be blame she is a victim of society and the system.

I wonder how the state is going to prevent her from runing away again and becoming pregnat.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Commit her to a nunnery.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
I am of the thought that the girl, as well as her parents should have been the ones allowed to make the decision.
I am basically against abortion but there are allowances. the first being that carring the fetus to term would be detrimental to the health of the mother and the second reason, rape.
As the girl is only 13 years old, she was by law, raped and thus should eb allowed to terminate the pregency.
My biggest problem with this whole situation, who has been arrested for rape, why is the coursts involveds in the situation at all, Under FLA law, a minor does not even have to have parental permission for the abortion? This last part is what I am hearing from the news reports.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Reality check she probably without proper care or birth control will get pregnant again.

She has been exposed to life in the streets and she will run away again.

Or..............perhaps she will learn her lesson and become responsible while still been just a child.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:11 PM
link   

marg said
It bothers me that is not mention of who make her pregnant or who had sexual relationship with her

Since she was homeless and on the streets it is possible she resorted to prostitution to make some money. She was not the first at that age and probably will not be the last.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well, what I loved is before you have the pro-lifers saying well, she old enough to choose to have sex, deal with it. So, she old enough to choose to have sex, but not old enough to choose to have an abortion? Even more since someone that YOUNG has a high risk chance of DIEING in birth. Reason 18years is the adult age is because someone 13 isn't old enough to make adult decisions, but in this case they all say old enough to have sex, deal with it. So, which is it? To young to choose to have an abortion and therefor to young to choose to have sex, IE statutory rape, or old enough to choose both?

A win for women's rights everywhere.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This girl is pretty well-spoken. In the other article posted about this on ATSNN.com, someone quoted her interactions with the judge and she basically used logical arguements to make the judge sound like an idiot. Sounds to me like she's old enough to make her own decisions.

I've known adult women to lack some of the sense that this child has. Maybe it's because she grew up on the street or maybe it's because she's just plain intelligent, but in either case, she seems relatively wise and should probably have a hand in her own destiny and that of her potential child.

I'm undecided on abortion as "an issue." It's a crazy world and both sides have excellent arguements.

Zip

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
It bothers me that is news in this country.
Why can't things no longer be settled and done in privacy. Why does the whole of America need to get involved with every little family feud or dispute that occurs? This right to life campaign by the media and politicians need to stop. How about saving the lives of those already born and living in deplorable conditions first? How about giving homes and love all those foster kids first before fighting for a fetus?

I'm glad someone had the common sense and used logic in granting this teen her abortion.

[edit on 5-3-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Wordwatcher that is exactly what i asked in the other thread related to this one.

I thought that minors has rights when it comes to privacy, specially if the state is involve.

Due to the fact that they are minors after all.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
zipdot

I've known adult women to lack some of the sense that this child has. Maybe it's because she grew up on the street or maybe it's because she's just plain intelligent, but in either case, she seems relatively wise and should probably have a hand in her own destiny and that of her potential child.

There is no time or room for games. You have to grow up quick to survive.
Wisdom comes from experience. You know how the system works.

I'm glad they made the decision they did. This was not a place where politics is involved. Why people have to publicly use this little girl for political gain, is sickening to me.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
if a girl or guy wants to be a hoe and mess around with diffrent people and get pregnant cause of it no matter what the parents do or society does can prevent it if the girl or guy is a hoe you see where im going with this you cant stop someone from doing something they really want to do. unless u trow them in jail

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'm pro-life, but this is an exception because she is so young.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
You know if anyone went to an inner city school they would understand this is no big deal really. I mean at that age of course she would probably be in her last year at middle school but hey Ive known girls her age getting more than one abortion a year. Its rather unfortunate but you know what, I think ANY individual who is carrying the life inside of her regardless of age has the right to choose to have an abortion or not.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:54 PM
link   
Wait, one says she wasn't, other says she was..... Which is it?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Depends if you are watching FOX or CNN.

Ahh, don't you love when "journalism" is used for entertainment.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:07 PM
link   
So CNN is reporting the truth and Fox reporting what republicans want to hear again are they? No wonder it so screwed up, CNN News vs GOP Propaganda.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
The Washington post and AP have both reported the same story - that she was granted the abortion. I trust both of them over Fox in a heartbeat.

There's also a couple of Florida newspapers reporting that she's been granted the abortion as well.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 12:26 AM
link   
In the middle ages the 'Aristocracy' only lived to be about 21. (adult = 10.5)

Jerry Fallwell had to marry his wife after he got her pregnant.

We should gently try to persuade young people to hold off in engaging in early sex. But keep in mind you are arguing against their hormones that go right to their emotional core.

I am glad her young body and mind will not have to deal with this pregnancy if she is not ready for it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join