It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Firefighter Who Was Brain Damaged For 10 Years Makes Astounding Recovery

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Servohahn since you have some history with Brain-damaged (handicapped) people what real rehabilitation could have been made if as reported to fact that her cerebral cortex was gone. I mean suffered an Injury to his brain, Ms. Schiavo was MISSING a vital part of her brain. As for the Euthanasia your right, the way this woman was starve to death was disgusting and inhumane in my opinion, but I do believe we should have the right to control our lives and just when, why and how and under what circumstances we choose to continue and/or end it. The only good thing about the Schiavo case was that it has brought the whole living will and how we choose to live out our lives to the forefront, anybody who saw this case and not made his wishes known at the very least (written and legalize ideally) frankly deserves whatever they get. I don’t completely buy the whole Schiavo case, someone had to deep down be lying to themselves about what Terri would have wanted, every one has a good Idea of what your spouse and/or child would have wanted, do I believe someone would be selfish and impose their beliefs on sustaining or even terminating to a much, MUCH lesser extent base on their own belief, yes I do. I’ve have a very different view on this than my Parents (well mother mostly) and what my wishes would be in an extreme case like the 2 above and honestly I'm not 100% percent sure my mother would follow my wishes so I’ve made my wishes clear and taken her out of the position of having to choose for me so I can be guaranteed that my wishes and beliefs are followed. If I suffered an Injury that would bring about significant changes to my life (paralyzed, significant brain damage/handicap) I would have added blindness and severe amputation(s) if I could, than I would not like to be kept alive or have any significant medical assistance provided.

quote:
I find it sad that his family had all agreed to let him die in a life threatening medical emergency. But I don't need to argue any points here. I'm sure his family feels rightly guilty about having made that decision now that he's made such a recovery.

I’m not a 100% on the facts but I’m would guess if there was no written statement left by the man (given his profession I think it’s supposed to be ask as part of his health coverage) that they where probably decided this with his wishes in mind. But like I said above I think it’s extremely irresponsible especially after the schiavo case to not have your wishes clearly express with those around you. And if you don’t particularly share the same Ideas as those around you like I do make them official (legalized) and not have to wonder if those around you would have the strength and/or character to follow your wishes above their own. The only religious and core beliefs which influences my every thought, desires, basicly guides my soul, is that imposing one’s religious, moral and ethical beliefs, especially when the other person can’t fight back or can’t express their own beliefs is wrong. Being kept alive as a drooling, mumbling Husk or severely paralyzed against my will is the closest and literal interpretation I could fathom to a living hell. Wish is why I find it some important to give people the right to choose how and when they wish to continue or end their lives regardless of what others think or want.

Pertaining to Mr. Schiavo I really feel that there was little Financial gain for him between the medical and later medical expenses all of the money from the lawsuit was gone. There were a couple of people who offered him large sums of money hand over care of his wife, and her family even had proposed so kind of a deal where he would have kept whatever money was left from her lawsuit and give them custodianship over their daughter. So he didn’t off her for financial reasons like many people accuse him off, honest either her parents selfishly put their beliefs and desires ahead of what their daughter would have wanted, because there is no way that anybody who has such a close and intimate relation would not know what they would have wanted or Mr. Schiavo had much more dark & sinister motives which have absolutely nothing to do with the right to die or spousal rights. It’s not like this woman was an unborn embryo or fetus or some severely handicapped child who is unable to express their wishes. Either Mr. Schiavo wanted to kill her, money wasn’t the motive and he could had smoother her or something, it’s not like she could have fought back or her parents where putting their own personal wishes and beliefs above the wishes of their daughter and her spouse who was responsible for her both legally and by marriage. But in any case Congress and government aside from the courts should have stayed away from this especially after it went up and down the court system with the same decision each step of the way.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:16 PM
link   
OXmanK,
I'm not really sure what it was that you were reading, but based on your reply I assume that it was horribly incongruent to the reply I posted... "euthanasia" and "Hitler" weren't even in the same paragraph. Also just saying something asinine like "Everybloodybody wants to bring up Hitler, especially when they have nothing more to offer" doesn't make it true.

Oblivians void,
As far as I understand the human body will not function at all if the cerebral cortex is missing. It's a tad more complicated than that. Though it's true that large parts of Terri's brain were missing and she had an extraordinarily small chance of recovery, stranger things have happened. Keep in mind that people can suffer hemispherectomies with minimal physical and mental defects.

I don't want to go into the whole conspiracy surrounding the case, I merely wanted to make an adequate comparison between the two cases. But I have worked and trained with those who were "more vegetative" than Terri... I say "more" because, since this case came into light, there seems to be varying degrees of vegetative states... I think this is where most miscommunication comes in pertaining to Terri Schiavo.
-S

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Oh, I'm sorry...I'm the a-hole here...

OR

Whether or not we should kill everyone with a severe mental handicap is a question for another thread... or Hitler.

The exact same, copy and pasted statement from your post.

The act or practice of ending the life of an individual suffering from a terminal illness or an incurable condition, as by lethal injection or the suspension of extraordinary medical treatment.

The exact same, copy and pasted definition from www.Dictionary.com

Gee...I can only wonder why I would think that's what you were infering. I'm so sawwy massah. I stay out ah ya place now.

I'm not really sure what it was that you were reading, but based on your reply I assume that it was horribly incongruent to the reply I posted... "euthanasia" and "Hitler" weren't even in the same paragraph.

Yes...why yes they were. If one cannot understand simple English substitution, let's look at it Mathematically. Here is an example.

Dog = Furry creature that barks

The dog played with the ball.

OR

The furry creature that barks played with the ball.

Therefore, both terms can be used interchangably. Let's look at your's.

Euthanize = kill everyone with a severe mental handicap

So let's enter the simpler term in there and see if it works.

Whether or not we should euthanize is a question for another thread... or Hitler.

See, both mean the same thing. So, can we please not discuss English BASICS anymore. I'm sorry that you have a misunderstanding of the language we have both agreed upon.

Now, if your statement meant something else...then that is the fault of the author...not mine.

Also just saying something asinine like "Everybloodybody wants to bring up Hitler, especially when they have nothing more to offer" doesn't make it true.

I'm sorry, but I find it to be true. Unless the topic of the post is about Hitler, I find it to be a fallacy. And I would probably classify it under the "Emotional Language" fallacy. The only time people use him is to instantly invoke a knee-jerk reaction.

For example:

Hitler didn't smoke. Do you really want to be like Hitler?

or for a more topical approach

Hitler believed in "euthanasia". Do you really want to be like Hitler?

The only thing you didn't do was add the last statement, however it is infered anytime Hitler is brought into a debate that is outside of his life. That is why I made the above comment. Again, if that was not your contention, then it is your fault.

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Ah, I see. A miscommunication. Ok, so I'll explain the least relevant part of my reply which you have so cleverly latched yourself to.

There was a small difference between a "severely handicapped person" and Terri Schiavo. You see if Terri had even the slightest chance of recovery, it would more than likely be an upgrade TO a severly mentally handicapped condition. As it was, putting aside the question of whether she PVS or not, she was most certainly what we like to call "mentally incapacitated". She was allowed to die, whether you want to call it murder or euthanasia.

Hitler did not euthanize anyone. Hitler was really big on killing all of those whom he considered to be undesirable. Jews, gypsies, invalids... everyone who wasn't perfect AND white. A severely mentally handicapped person (not Terri Schiavo) like a sufferer of Down's Syndrome, for example would have been killed by Hitler because he is an undesirable. The firefighter in question would have been killed. Terri Schiavo would definitely have been killed but you see we, the infallible, patriotic, democracy pushing geniuses that we are arrived at the same position that Hitler would have in regards her.

Now, it's obvious that we view Terri Schiavo as having been "put out of her misery" though this case has raised a lot of questions as to which mentally handicapped people should be "put out of their misery". Killing those who we believe to be living lives that aren't worth living is a topic for another thread... OR Hitler... does that make sense... you know because Hitler killed all those people?

I gathered from your reply just previous to this one that you have some rudimentary grasp on logic; e.g. analogies. Does this make what I had previously said any clearer?
-S

posted on May, 12 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
The chances in this happening is like hitting the powerball lottery for 500 million dollars, probably even slimmer than that.

Well, a New Jersey woman Evelyn Marie Adams won the New Jersey State Lottery twice and the odds of her doing that were 1 in 17 trillion but hey odds are odds. On the 2002 anniversary of 9/11, New York States three-pick lottery came up 9-1-1.

An event that happens to but one in 1 billion people every day occurs about six times a day or 2000 times a year. So the real unusual day will be when something like this does not happen.

About this guys brain this just goes to show you that the brain can repair itself, an idea until recently was thought to be impossible. But through what is called brain plasticity the brain can reorganize itself and produce more neurons to compensate for damage.

posted on May, 13 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Much better...

Ah, I see. A miscommunication. Ok, so I'll explain the least relevant part of my reply which you have so cleverly latched yourself to.

Not realy clever...just know better. I don't really give a dern if she was killed, murdered, euthanized...I'm not one of those jerks to mash such petty things. Just wanted to point out a few things...

But now, to the meat of that statement...that I cleverly latched onto a part of your statement. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...If you looked at my previous post, you SHOULD not even begin to say that I latched onto anything other than the whole dern thing, my friend. I believe I took on the whole dern post, but if you believe otherwise...go ahead and state the parts of it that you think I missed. I am of course talking about our posts between 5-8 and 5-9. I believe there are only two of them. (Sorry, slow a***** dial up. Would search other pages otherwise...)

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Oh my God!

Yes, The Fireman was saved by GGGGGod!!! HALLELUJAH Of course God saved him, because he was a Firefighter and a Devout Conservative Republican!!! Just like God SAVES all Devout Conservative Republicans Who Have Brain Tumors!!! Isn't it noteworthy that Devout Conservative Republicans have more of these experiences to share about miraculously recoveries, of Brain Tumored relatives than NON-Devout Conservative Republicans?!?!?

We are still working on why God never grows back amputated limbs, EVEN for Devout Conservative Republicans!
Go to Why God HATES Amputees for more insight on this!!

posted on May, 15 2006 @ 02:52 PM
link   
To get a good view on the nature of comas:

www.aan.com...

Originally posted by BlackJackal

Originally posted by ThichHeaded
The chances in this happening is like hitting the powerball lottery for 500 million dollars, probably even slimmer than that.

An event that happens to but one in 1 billion people every day occurs about six times a day or 2000 times a year. So the real unusual day will be when something like this does not happen.
This just goes to show you what Bush' cutbacks on math education can lead to, namely CRAP knowledge on statistics When an event has a CHANCE to occur 1 in a billion, doesn't mean that is HAS to occur that often every day. So that's crap. Also, given the fact that all six billion people on the planet live in let's say 10,000 different evironments, which each have a VERY different chance situation, above reasoning about how something HAS TO occur 2000 times a year, is VERY VERY crap.

[edit on 15-5-2006 by AmsterJammer]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join