It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Firefighter Who Was Brain Damaged For 10 Years Makes Astounding Recovery

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:59 PM
link   
"I want to talk to my wife," Donald Herbert said out of the blue Saturday. The 44 year old firefighter had been injured on the job 10 years ago, brain damaged and mostly mute, suddenly perked up and was able to speak and recognize family members.

www.cnn.com
Herbert was fighting a house fire December 29, 1995, when the roof collapsed, burying him under debris. After going without air for several minutes, Herbert was comatose for 2 1/2 months and has undergone therapy ever since.

News accounts in the days and years after his injury describe Herbert as blind and with little, if any, memory. Video shows him receiving physical therapy but apparently unable to communicate and with little awareness of his surroundings.

Dr. Rose Lynn Sherr of New York University Medical Center said when patients recover from brain injuries, they usually do so within two or three years.

"It's almost unheard of after 10 years," she said, "but sometimes things do happen and people suddenly improve and we don't understand why."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is amazing, this is really good news and hopefully inspiring to people to "never give up".

Make you wonder what might / could have happened if feeding tubes were left in place and the courts stayed out of personal matters.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Make you wonder what might / could have happened if feeding tubes were left in place and the courts stayed out of personal matters.

The chances in this happening is like hitting the powerball lottery for 500 million dollars, probably even slimmer than that.

I think if someone is stuck in a situation where they cant make thier own decisions for themselves, I think they should just die.

I myself have a will that states that, plus I dont want my family waiting around to se wtf happens to me if anything at all.

But i have to admit this is a cool story none the less.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
They (Doctors)have been saying things like this could never happen.
I am exteremly happy for him and his family and my best wishes go out for them

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Very interesting and I'm glad you posted this. To me this is the type of proof that shows that Terri was neglected. She didn't receive constant therapy and wasn't given a chance. 10 years is a long time to wait for someone to all of a sudden perk up but it's proof that they CAN recover if they get therapy and aren't just left in a room with no stimulation and then starved to death!

Great find, thanks for sharing!

Jemison

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
I don't know what the record is for longest coma from which to emerge, I imagine a GOOGLE-search would provide that info.
I'm personally aware of a co-worker who came back after a 2 year coma, and seemed fine.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:08 PM
link   
well I'm going to say this...

"with god all things are possible".....

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It's a good thing that this man had a spouse who cared enough to stick with him through his time of illness.

He's very lucky that she didn't just run off and shack up with some other man, then use money meant for his care to crusade for the right to kill him.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I wonder how he will respond to all that has happened in the last ten years... talk about a shock.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
He'll really be shocked when he finds out that Bush got back in office

This is truly awesome, as one person out it

"with god all things are possible".....

This is so true!!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Wonderful. There might still be hope for Terri Schiavo. Oh wait...um.. forget it.
Good to hear he is making a recovery...has a lot of catching up to do.

[edit on 3-5-2005 by andpau66]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
This is tremendous news. With God all things are possible. Many who are
His disciples do not walk in the authority over sickness and injury that we have been given by Jesus. I'm not perfect here by any means, but I am seeing more from the Bible that we do not walk out what Jesus said would be under our authority as the saints.

My sense is that this example and the one in late February where a woman
woke up from a long coma are meant as signs to us that we are never to give up, that we are to claim the healing that Jesus bought for us all on the cross at Calvary. We believers sometimes choose to continue living under the curse, but we do not have to.

I have read a couple of prophecies from seemingly genuine Godly prophets saying that the Lord would cause the impossible to come to life again this year in 2005, that this is His doing as a sign to us who believe that our hope lies in Him and Him alone.

Praise God. He delivers!

It is also a condemnation on those who gave up on Terry Schiavo.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:52 PM
link   
This is completely different than the Terry Schiavo case. He was only in a coma for 2 1/2 months. Terry had been in a coma for 15 years and was in a persistent vegetative state. Apples and oranges people.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhat
This is completely different than the Terry Schiavo case. He was only in a coma for 2 1/2 months. Terry had been in a coma for 15 years and was in a persistent vegetative state. Apples and oranges people.

Actually... you are an orange to humanitys apple...
a coma patient by the very difinition is not able to wake up...
Terry was very awake... not the slightest bit in a coma...
vegetative...yes...but the speech therapist was able to communicate with her... and she smiled when a family member would visit... (looks like enjoyment to me)
so... in one sense...she was actually less vegetative than this lucky guy...

and as has been said...
with god... all is possible...
unless your spouse decides to shack up with another woman, have kids with her, and then use the care money to lobby for your death...
-thanks Roadscholar

[edit on 3-5-2005 by LazarusTheLong]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Once again, the agenda-pursuing people emerge... again with God.

This is neverthless one of the most feel-good stories in a long time. Gives all sorts of hope in everything. And this man truly deserved to come back, as what he did as a fireman.

Then again, everyone deserves to come back at some point.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I really would have to agree that this is a very different situation from Schiavo. The extent of her brain damage was much more severe. It was because he didn’t initially recover that they thought he wouldn’t, and even from the beginning, he had a better chance then her.

As soon as I saw this article, I just new people would go on saying how “See Schiavo could’ve recovered too.”

But still this is good news for him and his family.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:14 PM
link   
This just goes to show that there is a God.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I think that this is remarkable. However, I have worked with closed head injury patients for many years and I have found that this situation is ceratinly very rare. I am happy for him and his family. If we could only tell ahead of time when this will happen. Then again, we are not in control of the game of life. What He puts before us is for a reason. I truthfully believe that it all happen for a reason we are all unaware of.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by FLYIN HIGH
This just goes to show that there is a God.

Or that there is evolution.

Not that I don't believe in a god, I'm just saying that medicine kept the guy alive all this time.

I didn't think that Terri should have been allowed to die but I have to admit that the cases aren't analogous due to many details which have been discussed to death on ATS. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't this man's entire family agree not to take serious measures to keep him alive in the event of say, a heart attack?

He DID need help eating just like Terri but, unlike Terri, he still enjoyed television (and I don't know why you would stick someone who was already brain damaged in front of a TV). Also, the guy only went for six minutes without oxygen (though he did get whacked on the head pretty hard) so he had most of his brain left intact and able to rewire itself.

Whatever the case, I'm sure he's happy that he was fed while he was unable to do it himself and I'm sure the family feels guilty over their hypothetical decision to allow him to die.

I hope he recovers fully, is able to make up for lost time, and lives an otherwise normal and healthy life.
-S

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
This doesn't have anything to do with God. This is physiological.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Are you saying medicine couldnt exist in a world where God exists? Please, lets not turn this great news into if God exists or not, we all know He does!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join