Time Warner lost 600,000 data records!

page: 1

join

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I wonder if this was an inside job, or just stupidity.

Snafu puts 600,000 at security risk.

Iron Mountain loses worker data tapes from Time Warner.

Time Warner Inc., one of the world's largest media companies, said yesterday that the Boston data-archiving firm Iron Mountain last month misplaced computer data tapes with the personal records of 600,000 current or former Time Warner employees. It's the latest in a spate of high-profile security breaches involving personal data on millions of Americans.

www.boston.com...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
"That company contacted the US Secret Service, which investigates cases of computer fraud."

since when do the secret service investigate computer fraud?

thats the FBI's jurisdiction if I'm not mistaken.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   
After going over the article, I would be surprised if it was not an inside job.
As to why the Secret Service is involved is really confusing.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by benign
since when do the secret service investigate computer fraud?
thats the FBI's jurisdiction if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe this will help

Since 1984, our investigative responsibilities have expanded to include crimes that involve financial institution fraud, computer and telecommunications fraud, false identification documents, access device fraud, advance fee fraud, electronic funds transfers, and money laundering as it relates to our core violations

From the USSS website

I think that 600,000 missing records would fit into one of the above categories one way or another. Hope that helps

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I work in the Computer, Network security business. When we report a security breach, It is to the FBI and not to the Secret Service. That is why I am questioning the SS involvement.

So far, in the past 5 years, all reported instances that we have made have gone to the FBI for prosecution.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
My guess is as good as yours

I know that sometimes one agency will seek help from another because they might specialize in certain areas, have info that they don't have yet or maybe thay are just too busy to do it at the time.

I think that the people who took the records might have been involved in some other stuff or investigations that the USSS might already have a case on......who knows?

But clearly the secret service does handle some aspects of

computer and telecommunications fraud, false identification documents, access device fraud, advance fee fraud, electronic funds transfers, and money laundering as it relates to our core violations

Which this crime fits into the categories above....

They do alot more stuff than what most people know about.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:34 AM
link   
if there was sensitive info on those tapes, and that info could lead to federal prosecution for a few prominent people, then what better method to fix this problem than to use an organization that basically answers to no one except the president.

The FBI has long been known as a liberal stronghold, possibly because you need to actually have some intelligence to maintain a job there. Plus its known that they prosecute white collar criminals (ie. politicians / the elite).

If the FBI stumbles upon something incriminating, heads usually roll. If the Secret Service does, they usually settle it behind closed doors. The SS is practically nonexistent in the news, so obviously you can see how they handle their business.

join