It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trash bin vs. Thread lock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I've noticed a few threads are being sent to the trash bin and some of these threads were ones that I had made comments in and wanted to see the responses. Once they get moved to the bin though, no one (except mods) can see them any longer.

Wouldn't it be better if some of these were just locked and left in the open?

How about if they are moved to a forum similar to RATS where people can buy access to view them?

This is the last thread that was moved that I wanted to see the responses:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
some of these threads were ones that I had made comments in and wanted to see the responses.

All you posted in the thread was "You need to find a better news source to link to". btw- nobody responded to your statement.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   
That thread was inflammitory, trolling, abusive, and disgustingly racist. As you noted. No reason to not throw it in the trash where it belongs. Locking is for, example, when someone is duplicating something or a thread devolves into a flame-war or some such (but don't take that as a precise hard rule, its a subjective process).

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
All you posted in the thread was "You need to find a better news source to link to". btw- nobody responded to your statement.

I wasn't really looking for a response to my post but rather comments by other posters in that thread.

That was just the most recent example.
There have been a few others.

EDIT: It's really just curiosity thing, where I'll click on myATS and look for updates to threads I've participated in and see that they've been move to the trash bin.

[edit on 3-5-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
It's really just curiosity thing, where I'll click on myATS and look for updates to threads I've participated in and see that they've been move to the trash bin.

I *knew* the feeling, but, as they say, curiousity killed the cat...

I actually meant to say that, maybe, but if things are really, really terrible they're not to be kept because then the goods are still available to the public. Also, cleaning needs to be done every now and then.

[edit on 5/3/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I miss the thread closings they were fun. I would try to say something b4 a mod would come and close it. I really miss it

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think there is an injustice being played out here at ats,threads about a possible abduction are being closed left and right ,with possible photos of facial burn marks .With a witness to the abduction being a member here at ats .why may i ask is the discussion being limited ,and re routed .

yours truly

tas

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by timoothy
I think there is an injustice being played out here at ats,threads about a possible abduction are being closed left and right ,with possible photos of facial burn marks .With a witness to the abduction being a member here at ats .why may i ask is the discussion being limited ,and re routed .

Because you are only interested in drama, not the truth.

My reply via u2u to you:

Zedd has gone out of his way to hear this while keeping the jeerers at the side line. Do NOT open another thread about this. It's being handled and all you are accompishing here is opening up an avenue to have a member ridiculed.

Thank you.

You have NO interest for the truth, you only want drama, with NO concern for the member that you seek it from.

Any other questions?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by timoothy
I think there is an injustice being played out here at ats,threads about a possible abduction are being closed left and right ,with possible photos of facial burn marks.

OK...exactly how many times does this need to be covered?

Yes, he has posted one story with multiple conflicting statements and zero proof AND yes, I closed the threads which turned in to ridicule-fests about the poster (due to those same issues I just mentioned).

I have also:
1) Offered a one time "come clean" deal if this was a joke gone out of control.
2) Offered to post any picture the poster can provide.

So how exactly is opening the door, yet blocking the useless (and taunting) comments a bad thing?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I wholefully agree with you ,but there is always the possibility he is truthful.
I won't bring it up again until i here from you

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Performance Art

Wow, this thread's still here?

I could have sworn it would have been trashed or locked by now.

Sorry, but I'm a student of irony.

And, I call LAST POST BEFORE THE LOCK!

(Well, maybe)

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Well if a thread has been locked it should be trashed because it is either a repeat topic or promoting hatred. It boils down to this if you dont have anything mature to say about a topic then dont post.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11
if you dont have anything mature to say about a topic then dont post.

I think everyone should read that.

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The People Have Spoken

Originally posted by xpert11
It boils down to this if you dont have anything mature to say about a topic then dont post.

If all ATS members, myself most certainly included, actually embraced that rule, then ATS would be way shy of the million posts it has already exceeded -- probably not even halfway there.

Indeed, without immature posts, I am convinced that ATS would be a much different place.

As much as I would like to say it would be better, frankly, I don't honestly know if it would.

How's that for irony?

Oh, and speaking of irony: this thread still hasn’t been locked or trashed?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 12:19 AM
link   
An interesting trashing that edsinger, RANT, Michael Crook and myself know the reasons for.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Not your typical liberal website, "edsinger", nosiree.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Fear not, good people! DeltaNine will take up the slack when the immature posts' quote falls short!

new topics

top topics

join