It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds probing alleged mad cow cover-up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
WASHINGTON, May 2 (UPI) -- Federal investigators are looking into allegations by a former U.S. Agriculture Department inspector that the agency sought to cover up cases of mad cow disease, United Press International has learned.

Lester Friedlander, a former USDA veterinarian, told UPI he was questioned recently by two representatives from the USDA's Office of Inspector General who were investigating statements he made before Canada's Parliament in April.

"I told them I think there's a cover-up," said Friedlander, a 10-year veteran of the USDA who received official praise and recognition for outstanding performance during his tenure with the agency.

Mad cow is a concern to public health because humans can contract a fatal brain illness known as variant Creutzfeldt Jakob disease from eating beef products contaminated with the mad cow pathogen.

Friedlander's claims include that a USDA official told him in 1991 not to say anything if he ever discovered a case of mad cow disease, and that he knew of cows that had tested positive at private laboratories but were ruled negative by the USDA.

He said he was interviewed by Keith Arnold, from the OIG's regional office in Kansas City, Mo., and William Busby, of OIG's Denver office. The officials told him Phyllis Fong, the USDA's inspector general, ordered the investigation.

"The reason they interviewed me was there was a lot of talk about my comments made in Canada and they said they were getting a lot of flak," he said. "I told them I'd take a lie detector just to prove I'm telling the truth."

www.upi.com...

Here is an investigation to also cover up the facts. Please note that the incidents cited happened in the mid to late 90's. Mad cow is now rampant in deer and elk in the rocky mountian areas. The truth would kill the beef industry. It is already too late.......................we may all be infected.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Its alright im a Vegitarian. Theres a reason for everything including Aids etc. Stop shootin & Rootin....

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Asteroid
Its alright im a Vegitarian. Theres a reason for everything including Aids etc. Stop shootin & Rootin....

Actually I am also a veggie. But here is the problem. "Organic" veggies are raised with "natural" fertilizer..er cow dung sometimes ever human waste. Many veggies now come from mexico hauled up in trucks that may carry meat one day then veggies the next. Cross contamination. Home grown veggies are the safest bet.

Uma

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
My understanding is that the prions are only found in the brain and spinal column of the cow, so in theory, as long as the meat doesn't contain any brain or spinal tissue, you could still eat it and not get sick.

I am not willing to take the risk.

Another problem is that sometimes, by-products are used in items like cosmetics and flavorings, and they don't have to list "cow brains" on the label, just "natural flavoring." Getting a straight answer out of consumer lines for companies is sometimes difficult, too.

As for the controversy about the cover-up, I am wondering why the government is so reluctant to test all cattle (cost?) or even all "downer" cattle. Are profits really worth threatening the lives of so many people?

I certainly hope that something positive for public safety can come out of the probe.

top topics

join