It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYC foster children Subjected to Experimental Drug Trials

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   
This is not a case of children with HIV being given these drugs as a last resort, some of these kids have not even been tested for AIDS and none were on any standard medications for aids. . This is a case of blatant abuse of these children. OK it is safe to say that some people have sunk to a new low, apparently as I understand it, drug companies have been paying to use foster children like their own private group of guinea pigs to test HIV drugs, it has not even been verified they all had HIV. So far no one knows if any of them died from these drugs or not. I wrote about this here when the BBC first reported it (if anyone wants to post this in the news part here please feel free to do so as a matter of fact I would appreciate it) there is now going to be an investigation into this, it did not stop until 2002.

The website has all kinds of info including transcripts of todays interviews on this subject. I'm not sure who received the money from the drug companies. I'm betting this will be one more thing we will probably not hear about on our news and I am also betting nothing will be done. The drug companies practically own the government from what I can see. This is just plain sad using helpless children who have no voice to test drugs on.

www.democracynow.org.../05/02/1348210
New York City's child welfare department opens an investigation into whether they forced HIV positive children in foster care to submit to experimental AIDS drug trials. We speak with the commissioner for New York's Administration for Children's Services, New York City councilman Bill Perkins and Vera Sharav of the Alliance for Human Research Protection. [includes rush transcript]

[edit on 3-5-2005 by goose]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I don't understand why I am the only outraged by this, these children had no say in the matter their parents did not either since most of them were not around we are talking foster children being experimented on and someone involved in their care had to have made money off of this since someone was paid?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
If they did it on non infected kids thats not cool, butt on, the kids who do have it, they realy only have two choices, die or die, atleast being a guinea pig, gives them another option, die, die, have a chane to live.

Might sound harsh, but common, weigh it..

However, if this was done for personal gain by the people in charge, ie; made lots of money, then i agree its bad..

[edit on 3-5-2005 by C0le]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Some of these children have never even been tested for AIDS. None of them were in any kind of treatment program this is not a case where if they had AIDS every avenue was exhausted and the drugs were being given as a last resort, this is not the case at all. Even if they had AIDs from what I gather they were not even given the standard drugs just experimental ones. And somebody was getting paid for letting them use the kids.

www.democracynow.org.../05/02/1348210
AMY GOODMAN: Who were these kids?

VERA SHARAV: These children were in foster care under the ACS, as well as Catholic charities. Many of the homes were run by them.

AMY GOODMAN: HIV+?

VERA SHARAV: HIV+. Now there’s even an issue about some of the trials, some of the protocols say that the children are, and I quote, “presumed to be HIV+.” Now, what kind of – what kind of society are we that children who are only presumed, and by whom are they presumed – what criteria makes them presumed to be HIV, that those children then get exposed to as many as seven highly toxic experimental drugs? These children were not in treatment, and ACS can’t fudge that. Research and treatment are two very different things. Our first question when we filed our federal complaint to the FDA and the Office of Human Protection a year ago – and those investigations, by the way, are still ongoing – we asked, why were those children denied the best treatment that was available, that was known already to be as effective as whatever it was?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
If they did it on non infected kids thats not cool, butt on, the kids who do have it, they realy only have two choices, die or die, atleast being a guinea pig, gives them another option, die, die, have a chane to live.

Might sound harsh, but common, weigh it..

However, if this was done for personal gain by the people in charge, ie; made lots of money, then i agree its bad..

[edit on 3-5-2005 by C0le]

yea, i can bet you they are for personal gain. greed is the name these days.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Again here we have more proof that those in authority don't have our best interests at heart.
More proof that capitalism is evil and detriment to the good of the people.
More proof that capitalism turns some people into cold, uncaring, soulless humanoids who see anyone in the way of their profit as "collateral damage".

This is nothing new, people have been used as guinea pigs for years.
People in mental homes, military, and the public in general. It is a FACT that the general public was tested on without their knowledge or consent in the 50's. I'm sure it's been done many times since.

www.mindcontrolforums.com...

www.copi.com...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Here's a related story, the one I believe was that broke it open...
sad tale....

ORPHANS ON TRIAL
Abandoned kids are force-fed experimental AIDS drugs at a Catholic children's home in Washington Heights. And the city wants it that way.

By Liam Scheff

nypress.com...&columns/LiamScheff.cfm

and yes, I believe that healthy (although they may have tested positive) kids have died from the teatments....

it's a long story, but well worth the read...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Thanks Dawnstar I had not seen this one.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
This wan't just NY City, there's another article...

AP: Feds Tested AIDS Drugs on Foster Kids

WASHINGTON May 5, 2005 — To gain access to hundreds of HIV-infected foster children, federally funded researchers promised in writing to provide an independent advocate to safeguard the kids' well-being as they tested potent AIDS drugs. But most of the time, that special protection never materialized, an Associated Press review has found.

The research funded by the National Institutes of Health spanned the country. It was most widespread in the 1990s as foster care agencies sought treatments for their HIV-infected children that weren't yet available in the marketplace.

The practice ensured that foster children mostly poor or minority received care from world-class researchers at government expense, slowing their rate of death and extending their lives. But it also exposed a vulnerable population to the risks of medical research and drugs that were known to have serious side effects in adults and for which the safety for children was unknown.

The research was conducted in at least seven states Illinois, Louisiana, Maryland, New York, North Carolina, Colorado and Texas and involved more than four dozen different studies. The foster children ranged from infants to late teens, according to interviews and government records. "

abcnews.go.com...

[edit on 6-5-2005 by dawnstar]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   
You know you can see how they can get away with this, no one cares. Even when you post the facts no one even bothers to respond, look how long this thread has been here and very few replies. This is not the only board I posted this on and this one has more replies than the others. It is just sad and the mainstream media will not tell this story if they do I will be very surprised, since the media is owned by corporations and probably at least half of them have some drug companies. It is sad that we have gotten to where we are so ___________ (not even sure what the word is)
that we no longer can take the time to care. I can recall a time when this would have been mainstream news and people would have been rioting in the streets over something like this. The youngest child receiving the experimental drug a 3 month old baby. I'm not sure which to be more shocked about the fact that someone would do this or the fact that no one cares. People should email the links and the story to everyone they know and ask them to do the same.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Well, for at least some, it seems to indicate that alot they say isn't true..

you know, aids is caused by improper sexual behavior, but here we have young babies being tested with new aids drugs.
and well, where are those "loving home" that they are being adopted into....don't see any indication of them either, just exploitation.

and if you bother to read enough, you get an idea about some of the side effects....bone deformaties? oh, my God! and well, it's my understanding that there were many healthy kids to begin with. They might have tested positive for the virus, but the weren't showing any symptoms...and then thier health just deteriorates because of the treatment?

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Look at it from the stand point of the government and researchers. Here is a group of kids that no one wants, for whatever reason. So the government allows experiments on them. These experiments produce data and results that could help treatments for the future. Seems like a small price to pay for saving many more people.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 03:11 AM
link   
This was going on in Israel as well, but the experiments weren't just limited to AIDS research.

I think some things never change...

This isn't the first time in history, just look back a little ways, it seems to be about every 33 years or so...

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by WissNX01
Look at it from the stand point of the government and researchers. Here is a group of kids that no one wants, for whatever reason. So the government allows experiments on them. These experiments produce data and results that could help treatments for the future. Seems like a small price to pay for saving many more people.

OK then, why don't you volunteer yourself for use as a guinea pig?

I didn't think so....

(BTW we have over 6 billion people on the Earth, how many more do we need to save?)

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   

I agree with ANOK go volunteer yourself as a guinea pig after all you are just one person and you definitely are not ithat mportant to that many people so I think its only right that they use you for such an important experiment, look at all the good you can do, never mind that you will probably get sick and die, look at all the good you can do.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I would volunteer, except I dont have AIDS or anything that will kill me. I am completely health, and a taxpayer. Those kids were not, they were actually a burden on the tax base. And they already had these problems that researchers are trying to eliminate.

As far as having 6 billion people, and not wanting to save more, thats absurd. Thats the same mentality that these secret societies have as far as population control. eliminating AIDS, cancer, and ebola goes against what the people in control want. Besides, the ability to feed everyone is available, but the efforts are often non-existant.

Its so interesting how a minority get pissed off about the overall benifits to man. The minority whine about how insensitve I am or how stupid the government is, but they offer no solution, just simply let the AIDS kids die.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I would volunteer, except I dont have AIDS or anything that will kill me.

"This is not a case of children with HIV being given these drugs as a last resort, some of these kids have not even been tested for AIDS and none were on any standard medications for aids."

Did you read the first line of the thread starter?

You don't have to be unhealthy to be a guinea pig, go ahead they'll take you.

And how can you talk about saving people all high and mighty, yet you are quite comfortable letting young children be used as Guinea pigs because they don't pay taxes?
I don't know any children who pay taxes, do you? So we should use all children as guinea pigs? How about the unemployed? The homeless? Maybe housewife's? The disabled? Your pets? (never mind already done).

Maybe that's how they get away with using the military as guinea pigs during war time, 'cause your pay is tax free if you're in a war zone.
Now I get it. Start a war, then you've got a large group of guinea pigs to test on. So that's why they do that.

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The homeless............I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it. The disabled would only be useful if it was something that was affecting people widely.

Im completely sure that the government used stuff to experiment on me. I have no complaints, since I am alive and well. Those anthrax shots were a bitch and hurt like hell. A few guys got sick, but everyone recovered. The smallpox was a bit different, but most everyone recovered.

Experimenting on groups of people is nothing new, and this isnt the end. How bout all those blacks that were given syphilis in the 50s, or the old ladies that were given '___' in the 60s? They didnt know, and big deal.

No one will admit it, but the Allies gained huge troves of information following the demise of Nazi Germany. The death camps and Dr Mengeles personal records were invaluable to medical science. The deaths and experiements carried out on all those Jews was very useful for treating things like hypothermia, phemonia, and the common cold. Disecting living people was cruel, yet it provided data that started alot of advanced surgeries and treatments that were thought impossible.

Besides, the kids that survive will get a nice little settlement that will leave them better off than if the government let them alone.

[edit on 05/5/15 by WissNX01]

posted on May, 15 2005 @ 10:28 PM
link   

The homeless............I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it. The disabled would only be useful if it was something that was affecting people widely.

That would be fine if they chose to allow themselves to be used. In fact that does happen and you get paid for your time. I've done it myself. But we're talking about children who have NO choice.

I know Humans have been experimented on without their knowledge, and the U.S. and Europe gained big time from Nazi experiments. Most of the Nazi scientists were brought to the States to work.

But you say "BIG DEAL??".

I guess as long as we are "advancing" in science and technology then what happens to a few unlucky people doesn't matter?

And those that SURVIVE get a settlement? Well I doubt that. Did you get your settlement? What about those that don't survive?
It's bad enough "scientists" use animals for cruel experiments, but people? C'mon!

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Those kids will get a settlement, the ACLU will make sure of that. And the whack job parents that lost thier kids in the first place will also sue, just to get that Escalade and next fix.

And Im willing to bet that the scientists just went along with the agencies that ponied up these kids. The agencies are to blame, not science. It has been demonstrated several times in Florida where they loose kids. These agencies are poorly funded and have the lowest form of state worker in the system.

If I were a scientist, I would just take the test subject and have my way. Im sure these agencies came up with a waiver of responsiblitly to ease the scientists minds, so the scientists would not question the permissions.

As far as the homeless, hell collect them all and put them to work as test subjects. Pay them, keep the streets clean, and advance science.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join