It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

meteor for sale on ebay, make of it what you will, caviat emptor and stuff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Meteor on ebay:

cgi.ebay.com...

This is from the sellers blurb and I'm not sure if this was supposed to make me laugh:

On July 6, 1924 funeral goers, baseball fans and farmers witnessed this amazing sight as balls of fire and trailing tails of gray smoke fell from the northern sky.

But it did.
Not sure why.

And it's only a million bucks, you'd think the thing was made out of solid gold or gave you super space like alien powers or something, dispense soda maybe, but as far as I can tell it just lays there.

Very interested in the usual feedback and rigormoral.

SPiderj

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Typed in 'meteors sale' into google, and one of the hits was www.geocities.com... which has a rough price guide for meteorites. Apparently some of the rarer sorts can sell up to $1650/GRAM, so maybe that really is the going rate for such a meteorite. The only thing is the ebay ad says nothing about what kind of meteorite it is, which makes me suspect this is either a joke or a fraud. The shape also looks funny to me, but that could be normal; I haven't seen very many meteorites. I think it would be incredibly cool to own a meteorite, but for a million bucks?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It doesn't even look like a meteor. What the heck? My guess is this is a scam. Maybe I could melt some aluminium foil down and sell it as "rare silver lava."

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:09 AM
link   

CmdrKeenKid: It doesn't even look like a meteor.

Heh, guess that answers my question. I thought the shape was pretty weird. Given that Keen is our subject expert in this field, I think this meteorite is probably fake.

Maybe I can sell some of the rocks around here... imagine, "Meteor for Sale: Half Price! Only $500,000! Get one before they're all sold out!"

If anyone wants to buy an ordinary rock, err, I mean authentic meteor, let me know

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
Heh, guess that answers my question. I thought the shape was pretty weird. Given that Keen is our subject expert in this field, I think this meteorite is probably fake.

Not so much of an expert on meteorites... It just doesn't look right. Plus, the fact that there is no scientific input of any sort, just makes me think it's a fake.

It almost looks like sandstone to me though, with the layering that you can see in it.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   
He Heh

A million dollar for a starting bid...Definitely a fake..

But the seller has 100% positive feedback rating....probably the martians love him

[edit on 3-5-2005 by Quake]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Some people will stop at nothing. I have gotten a few emails (spam) from someone wanting to sell deeds to land on the moon. Apparently they have fake "blueprints" and "legal descriptions" and "deeds" they will send you if/when anyone is stupid enough to buy up any of that "valuable" lunar property.

(No one owns the moon, any more than anyone owns that so called meteor - people can't just go around selling what they don't own, but some are dumb enough to think they can, and some are even dumber, and think they can buy it, therefore own it!!!)

I bet some of you have gotten similar emails, or run into those people during searches.

[edit on 5/3/2005 by CyberKat]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Personly If I wanted a metor that badly Id go to antartic and find my own .
Ps theres Plently of them found there as the place is covered in a mile thick of ice and a dark rock sticks out like a sore thumb and its on the ice wich means it has to be a metor as most rocks dont float .
Ps looks fack to me as well most photos of metors i have ever seen are very dark brown black gray and they have a mealted look (kindof glazed.
Of corse i have never seen one up close and personal soooo.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CyberKat

(No one owns the moon, any more than anyone owns that so called meteor - people can't just go around selling what they don't own, but some are dumb enough to think they can, and some are even dumber, and think they can buy it, therefore own it!!!)

I bet some of you have gotten similar emails, or run into those people during searches.

[edit on 5/3/2005 by CyberKat]

Looks like there are plenty of moonies willing to buy the moon plots.
Check out this link
archives.cnn.com...

Real or not, customers don't seem to mind. More than 300,000 people have purchased properties from Lunar Embassy.

In addition to their lunar plot, buyers receive a deed, a site map, a copy of the lunar constitution bill of rights and a copy of Hope's declaration of ownership filed with the U.S. government. There's also a 30-day money back guarantee.

So, in case you land on the moon, and decide your plot does not offer the view, you can return the plot within 30 days

[edit on 3-5-2005 by Quake]

E_T

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
It just doesn't look right. Plus, the fact that there is no scientific input of any sort, just makes me think it's a fake.
Yeah, surface doesn't have anything which would look like fusion crust (melting/flowing signs) which should be visible if it was really picked soon after fall. (decades of erosion can destroy those if rock is exposed that time)

Also it's quite irregular/oblong and picture is quite vague, you would think he could get better pic.
Also I'm sure getting weight of it would be easy.

Although this 80% nickel iron meteorite is quite irregular it still shows melting signs.

And this one which shows very nice fusion crust is part of bigger stone meteorite which penetrated 0.4 meter of ice and 0.5 meter of water before embedding itself to a depth of 8 meters under 7 meters of mud.

Bjurbole meteorite

Some other pics
www.meteorlab.com...

E_T

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Well, well...
Look what Google found... Just compare photos in these pages to that of ebay:

www.meteoritetimes.com...

meteorites.asu.edu...

www.nyrockman.com...

www.meteoritearticles.com...

www.meteoriteguy.com...
fernlea.tripod.com...

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Also this item cant be shipped. I will deliver it wherever in the world.

Maybe i should put in a bid and get it delivered to somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I wonder if he'll deliver to outer-mongolia or the antarctic or maybe even half way up mount everest

Have you seen some of the guys other auctions, aftershave, atkins diet bars and a map used for an expedition to the titanic ($99,000)

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I actually have an authentic meteorite. That makes me wonder if I should sell it..

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
You know, it's always the threads I think nobody is gonna be interested in that get the best responses.

First thanks for all the replies, I'd like to give big ups to DD for the meteor price guide, guess it goes to show you can find just about anything on the net.

Also ET for his usually indepth scooby doo type investigation, a man who can definitely dig up info on meteorites and everybody else as well for their input, though I just noticed this on the ebay page:

At 4:20 in the afternoon of a cloudless day, four terrific...

Nice little four twenty reference snuck in, so perhaps it's just a joke.

And of course still no bids.

Spiderj

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
How many people are going to bid over a million?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by concept
I actually have an authentic meteorite. That makes me wonder if I should sell it..

Nah, keep it. It's very cool, and you'll totally get tons of dates. Hey, wanna see my meteorite? Oh, wait, yeah, sell it, I'll give ya 20 bucks.

At anyrate, I'm currently selling remnants of old stars. Give me an amount you want, I'll send you any mass I am capable of. Prices start at 750 USD per gram, a steal any way you look at it. Just think, for only $750,000 dollars, less than the price of a meteorite, you could own a Kilogram of a star! u2u for more info.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Nah, keep it. It's very cool, and you'll totally get tons of dates. Hey, wanna see my meteorite? Oh, wait, yeah, sell it, I'll give ya 20 bucks.

At anyrate, I'm currently selling remnants of old stars. Give me an amount you want, I'll send you any mass I am capable of. Prices start at 750 USD per gram, a steal any way you look at it. Just think, for only $750,000 dollars, less than the price of a meteorite, you could own a Kilogram of a star! u2u for more info.

For the record, I have never laughed harder at any othr single post on ATS in the entire year and some months I've been here.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer

Hehe, I have lots of stuff around made of old stars. Come to think of it, everything I have is made of old stars. I'm sitting on a gold mine, here!

Reminds me of the Brooklyn Bridge thing. You wait by the bridge waiting for someone gullible to walk by. You show them a postcard of the bridge and tell them you want to sell it for fifty bucks because you can't afford the taxes on it. They give you the money (if they're really dumb) and you give them the postcard and never see them again.

I think I'm going to go into the meteorite business. I'll get rich, and, according to Amorymeltzer, at least, I'll get 'tons of dates' too!

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I have hundreds of authentic meteorites, Irons, Stones, and Stony Irons. i wanted to offer these to list members, however the TPTB at ATS wont grant me permission to do so.

Just so i know, who would even be interested in owning their little piece of the asteroid belt, or Mars, or the Moon?Most of The material I have came from beyond Mars, and is older than the Eatrh. It is also the only Extraterrestrial material you could ever own I think, at least in this day and age.

It is also very affordable. Just wondering...........

posted on Nov, 5 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
They pulled the sale from ebay so it must have been a meteorwrong.

Of the rocks i have seen labled as meteorites about half have been meteorwrongs
meteorites.wustl.edu...
www.meteorite.com...

Although i am a tektite collector and a gold nugget hunter i have found a few meteorites.
Mostly with a large industrial magnet that i hang from the back bumper of my truck when i go off road in the desert or with my metal detector when nugget hunting.
www.airportfodmagnets.com...

I pickup one up on my magnet a couple week ago that looked like a piece on heavy rusted iron.
After cleaning it with acid i found it was a Octahedrite with clear Thomson structures faces.
en.wikipedia.org...

Almost every one else would have thrown it away as rusty scrap iron.

I have also found a few stoneys just because they caused my metal detector to sound off when i was in a area that the rocks don't make a detector sound off.
Many stoney meteorites have a small amount of nickel iron in them and are easy to find with a detector. these i take to the rockhound hut and cut to look for Fe-Ni metal particles in them.

I have pick up a few of these when metal detecting with other people and there detector would sound off and they would cuss the hot rocks.
it was always fun to later show them what there hot rocks really were.

[edit on 5-11-2009 by ANNED]

[edit on 5-11-2009 by ANNED]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join