It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran, North Korea Dominate Nuclear Conference (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Seems we are to be led,acquiesce to some of the most poplous America hating countries in spite of all the ground already covered in this effort.Seeing Kofi Annan at the podium does not give any comfort.Having done this for many years, do not the leaders realize words will not have any effect or is there still hope?

www.reuters.com
UNITED NATIONS (Reuters) - Controversy over the nuclear ambitions of Iran and North Korea dominated a global disarmament conference on Monday, with the United States and others telling both countries to give up suspected atomic arms programs.

The United States pressed the conference taking stock of the 1970 Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty to ensure Tehran and Pyongyang were denied peaceful nuclear energy benefits because they had violated the pact.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Sanctions cannot work in countries with no human values systems.
Us telling them to disarm is a joke among these leaders.
If rhetoric was going to work it would have already, we have spent years in wasted time and signed treaties?Seems like it is verbose power-tripping leaders have no real concern for anyone's fears or concern

[edit on 2-5-2005 by siriuslyone]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Sanctions?

Trade and hard goods work, they are just slow. Forget about imposing someone else's morality on people. That has never worked. While this may grab the headlines $$ is the only thing that has ever worked or military invasion.

There is a fair amount of 'what Korea has' militarily on the net. To read much of it NK has the 4th largest and certainly the toughest army in the world. I don't believe it. A heavy invasion would end the NKA quickly, but then what about China?

As to Iran- that's different. While many of her people may want changes there are no signs of massive discontent.

Iran needs to be readdressed and treated as a nation among nations. This ka-ray-z notion of threat upon threat does not work and only hardens the Iranians stance.

China is the key to NK. I can't see the US has many bargaining chips there. The Chinese have pretty much sand-bagged the US in trade and manufacturing so the only 'gimme' is technology. The US has to cave in and give up some of its technology to China.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:13 PM
link   
You make perfect sense..
For me, it seems that money is being thrown after lost causes over and over and after all the $$ and and talking, it just seems an impasse?
Here we sit with a record deficit, yet we still have no idea where the OFF money went for Iraq.
Guess I have just become jaded in the thinking that pacts and financing seems to get us in worse than better circumstances.
When I hear on PBS that there are no longer any birds nor much bark left on trees due to the hunger of the N. Koreans..and the Muslim leaders only care to keep their positions.
I have no answers, only desperate questions..

new topics

join