It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Iraqi Leaders Seek Deal Amid Bloodshed

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I have read about that here: www.atsnn.com...

In this particular piece, I was seeking to inform the reader about the more broad, ongoing violence that has occured in Iraq this weekend.

The level of violence is astronomical. I can't believe that 140 people have died in just five days and there is no coverage of it on ATSNN!!!

Instead, it has become a thread to discuss how, when and where to apply the bias vote to a new submission. There has also been some puzzling accusation of
conspiracy?

The fact that the carnage and destruction in Iraq is being overlooked is disturbing to me. I feel that it's important for us to stay informed about what is going on in all parts of the world, particularly when there is violence and bloodshed involved.

I seek to deny ignorance here. Ignorance is denied.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Iraq's first democratic gov't sworn in
BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- Iraq's first democratically elected government was sworn in Tuesday after last-minute bargaining by the new prime minister failed to bring the disaffected Sunni minority into key Cabinet posts.

One by one, Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari and members of his Cabinet walked to a podium and pledged to defend Iraq and its people amid a surge of violence that has killed nearly 170 people in six days.

But five ministries - including the key defense and oil portfolios - remained in temporary hands and two deputy prime minister's slots were unfilled as al-Jaafari struggled to balance the demands of Iraq's competing ethnic and religious factions.

Iraqi men play backgammon as shiite Arab leader Ibrahim al-Jaafari is sworn in as prime minister as Iraq's first democratically elected government takes office in Baghdad Tuesday, May 3, 2005. Iraqi lawmakers begin the transfer of power with seven Cabinet seats undecided. (AP Photo/Samir Mizban)

[edit on 3/5/05 by Roadscholar]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Iraqi is a hostile environement of fanatics perfectly willing to spill blood for their religious/geographical/tribal agendae.
The brutality of the former regime kept these at bay, as evidenced by the mass graves from the 80s that are even now being unearthed.
The disorder generated by the American-led overthrow of Saddam is their 'window of opportunity'.
Our forces and frankly all westerners are now the target of these warring interests. We cannot solve these problems. The Iraqis must.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Iraqi is a hostile environement of fanatics perfectly willing to spill blood for their religious/geographical/tribal agendae. The brutality of the former regime kept these at bay, as evidenced by the mass graves from the 80s that are even now being unearthed. The disorder generated by the American-led overthrow of Saddam is their 'window of opportunity'. Our forces and frankly all westerners are now the target of these warring interests. We cannot solve these problems. The Iraqis must.

I have never really thought about THAT aspect of things. Saddam's iron fist truly WAS holding back one of the horsemen of the apocolypse, wasn't he? Too bad that he was using the OTHER horsemen against his own people in the process. It kind of makes you wonder...

Please don't flame me for this...it's just something really interesting to think about. I don't have an opinion on this, simply because it's WAaaaAy over my head, and I'm readily willing to admit that.

If you really think about it...should Saddam really be held accountable for the crimes he committed against the very country that gave rise to his power in the first place? I mean...could ANYONE have come into power at the time he did, and ruled peacefully? I'm not an expert on Iraqi history, but his rise to power came at an extremely turbulent point in time. I'm not entirely convinced that any other person would have been able to rule that kind of a hellhole without terrorizing the masses into compliance. (Hmmm...that actually sounds kind of familiar...except that our leaders already have consent of the governed, so why the scare tactics?)

Just food for the conversation, that's all.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Picture released by the U.S. Army Tuesday, May 3, 2005 shows a U.S. Army soldier comforting a child fatally wounded in a car bomb blast in Mosul, 360 km (225 miles) northwest of Baghdad, Iraq, Monday, May 2, 2005. 15 Iraqis were wounded in the combined suicide bomb attack. (AP Photo/U.S. Army)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join