It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pictures of Centauri surface

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
So I am in astronomy class today we are talking about "life forums on other planets" then some one brought up the planet Centauri and said that pictures of its surface leaked out onto the Internet (no i don't know were to find them I've been searching all day). Supposedly It was secretly probed in the late 90's by th united states government and pictures of it were sent back by the probe that showed a vast forest landscape full of exotic life forms, planets and liquid that was an extremely bright blueish color thought to be water with really high levels of hydrogen. The photos were classified by the CIA, but Supposedly they recently leaked out. furthermore the discovery channel is doing a special called "Alien planet" which makes me wonder if it has anything o do with the recent "leak"

Now before you start ponding me with skepticism pleas note that I am a skeptic myself, and have been searching for the anything having to do with the leak and found nothing, I even asked the student who brought it up I asked were they herd about it from and she said a friend, -- which makes me even more skeptical.

Does anyone have anymore infromation about this?

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Where is Centauri?? Is it far away?

And if it really does exist, we will find something about it for sure...

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Alpha Centari is a star.. I believe.. that would make it very hard for a forrest to love there.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
homepage.sunrise.ch...

found that web page on it, I too don't know a whole lot about Centauri I didn't even know it existed until i herd about this story.

I can't wait to see the special on discovery to see if it shedes some light on it.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by iksmodnad]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I would be skeptical too. Seeing how even our most powerful telescops cannot make out such detail. the only reason we have pictures of the lunar or martian surface showing details like rocks and such is because we have landed men or machines on either surface. We certainly do not have any technology that can photograph or detect things like forests and animals on planets that are many light years away. Hell, I dont believe we have even sucessfully photographed a planet from another solar system, let alone its surface. And the furthest we have sent any planetary probes that were capable of photographing surface features is neptune. We dont even have any pictures of pluto yet.

So I don't believe the CIA or anyone for that matter posseses photographs of living, vivid planets outside our solar system. Not that I dont believe they exist, I am more than positive life florishes on other worlds outside our solarsystem, and there is even intelligent life there. I simply do not believe we have any photos or probe data on any of them: we have not even photographed the outer reaches of our solar system.

So you are served well by your skepticism. Besides, I am unaware of any planet named Centari, only a few stars that have that name.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
This is unliklely as centauri is about 4 light-years away. BTW we never landed men on mars, and dont give me that "yeah, thats what they want you to think" crap.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Trustnone]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Not sure about those pics being true...but here is some things on that show you mentioned...looks interesting

dsc.discovery.com...

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by eh7879
Not sure about those pics being true...but here is some things on that show you mentioned...looks interesting

dsc.discovery.com...

That show is based on Wayne D. Barlowe's book Expedition, thorough and entertaining fiction.

As for the OP, entirely untrue. At 4 LY, and even at near lightspeed, it would have taken 4 years to get there and 4 years to get the pictures back. That's 8 years. The story makes it sound like it happened in like a month.

Did your teacher call out the guy on his BS, or what? Your story sort of ends abruptly...

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:55 PM
link   
My teacher was just like "well thats nice" he didn't seem to really care (I think he knew it sounded like a bunch of bull but just did not say anything) . It was something that was just brought up out of the blue and made us all think, but thats just like any story thats hard to believe.

loq

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:34 AM
link   
would be nice to see these so called "leaked pictures"
that program on tv looks interesting as well
im gona have to check it out
thnks for the info btw

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Alpha Centari IS a star.....Personally I have never heard of ANY forrested stars, kinda HOT for that dont you think?

........................just sayin

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
i think you mean proxima centauri, its part of the Alpha Centauri constilation and it aparently has the greater chance of suporting life

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
its a really neat conspiracy theory lol
i didnt ever think of it like that until i heard this

its doubtful but....
maybe the gov't finally figured out how to build their own probe based on "alien" tech recovered from Roswell ...they had decades to figure it out; and if they built one in say 1985 and sent it to alpha centauri and it went near light speed that means it could have got there around 1989 or 1990....and the pics arrive back from one of its local planets and its full of life lol

i dont believe it at all but hey
its a great conspiracy theory
whoever thought this one up should definatly drop by ATS...

it could be true tho; nothings impossible

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trustnone
This is unliklely as centauri is about 4 light-years away. BTW we never landed men on mars, and dont give me that "yeah, thats what they want you to think" crap.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Trustnone]

geez..skadi said men OR machines..

As I understand it, even with an Orbiting Space borne telescope array, the best we'll be able to do, is collect enough light from an exo-planet to infer the existence of organic chemicals..so I doubt there are any surface pictures. Just a dot, thats all we'll see..

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I think a space or moon array telescope could reveal the reflective surface of an ocean and or spectrographic atmosphere contents of biologic origin, perhaps even all the lights at night of a large alien city combined would show up on the next generation of space based telescopes...

[edit on 5-5-2005 by Silenus]

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Im sure the CGI will be great on this show, but I really don't see the point of watching this. The things in the show are not real, they don't exist. What is the point of making up creatures and giving them roles to play on some non existant planet.

Now the series Walking with Dinosaurs was really awesome, we know they existed on Earth, beacuse of fossil proof! It's the "Discovery Channel" not "The Make Belief Channel" after all

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Sure you don't mean Clementine? This sounds a lot like the plot to the Orion Protocal by Gary Tigerman (excellent book by the way). Like the Da Vinci Code, it's fiction but based loosely on facts.

posted on May, 9 2005 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Humm the only way this is plausable is if the Government have had help form Aliens themselves and it wont be the sun centurie or however you spell it but the planet will be in that solor system with possible life on it.

I don't really know if aliens are real or not as i have never seen one only on tv. But then again like i say...you never know!
Its interesting to speculate the idea.

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Alpha Centari is exactly 4 light years away.

The three nearest known stars are gravitationally bound in a system commonly called Alpha Centauri. The two larger stars, said to be Sun-like, are named Alpha Centauri A and B. The nearest to us is the littlest and is called Proxima Centauri. It is classified as a red dwarf and contains just a fraction of the mass of our Sun.

The three-star system is 4.36 light-years away, meaning light requires 4.36 years to travel from the stars to Earth, and so we see them as they existed 4.36 years ago.

"IF" we could travel at the speed of light, it would still take a probe 4.36 years to get there and 4.36 years to transmit data back considering we were using "laser" communications.

Now since we currently don't have Light or FTL [faster than light] capabilities then the probe would have had to have been launched to Alpha Centari in the year oh say about 1300 A.D. Give or take a couple 1000 years, and don't even ask about communications or data being sent back, because I think that was well before computers and radio waves...

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   
You're all not thinking "open minded" enough. The subject of the post is what if this kind of life exists on the surface. "What if?" So what im saying is this. If the government is covering up this life on "Centauri" whats not to think that they havent told us about faster than light technology or the fact that we have taken photos of Pluto and maybe even other solar systems. I'm not saying in any way that I believe that there is forest and life on "Centauri" but if we're covering that up then we're covering up the ability to get there.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join