It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greeks accuse Blair of war crimes in Iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Athens lawyers' Hague case names PM, Straw and Hoon

Helena Smith in Athens
Tuesday July 29, 2003
The Guardian

Tony Blair and other British ministers are accused of crimes against humanity in prosecuting the war against Iraq in a case lodged with the international criminal court by Greek lawyers yesterday.
The Athens Bar Association accuses the government of breaching almost every international treaty and the entire spectrum of human rights in the 47-page complaint.

Here is the rest of the story:
www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Good.

errrrrr..... question:

Did the Bush administration somehow include Greece on its world tour of nations with which it sought bilateral agreements to ensure Bush and his cronies would not be dragged through the same kind of proceedings?

I doubt it, but I will look around on that.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:41 AM
link   
I dont think this is going anywhere really. What do you guys think?

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Charges are sad:

"The repeated, blatant violations by the United States and Britain of the stipulations of the four 1949 Geneva conventions, the 1954 convention of the Hague as well as the charter of the international criminal court, constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity," the lawyers said in a statement.

"[The accused] intended to cause severe psychological distress or major physical or psychological damage to individuals who enjoy the protection of the Geneva conventions."

But silly me, I already knew this:

No .... "similar charges against the American president, George Bush, because Washington had still not ratified the treaty which set up the ICC."

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Ocelot

In practical terms, who can really say so early. I've never sat in on any ICC hearings.

In symbolic terms, it certainly puts the words "Bush", "Blair" and "criminal" in the same legal sentence for all the world to see.

[Edited on 29-7-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:57 AM
link   
The case seems solid. After his time as PM, without british public or governement support, Blair will probably just be game for the lawyers.

[Edited on 29-7-2003 by Mokuhadzushi]

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Ocelot

In practical terms, who can really say so early. I've never sat in on any ICC hearings.

In symbolic terms, it certainly puts the words "Bush", "Blair" and "criminal" in the same legal sentence for all the world to see.

[Edited on 29-7-2003 by MaskedAvatar]

You make a great point MA. I hope these two bastards get what they deserve.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

You make a great point MA. I hope these two bastards get what they deserve.

I wonder if they'll sue Clinton. I remember when he was, with his friend Blair, bombing the hell out the Middle-East. Or may be there is " politically correct bombings " and " unpolitically bombings " ? If yes, I'm sure Clinton did only the first bombing and not the second one. Let's hope for him his buddy Blair will not call him as a defense witness.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 05:25 PM
link   
U-P

Your knee-jerk and finger-pointing does bring out an important distinction.

1. Bombing specified targets (rightly or wrongly) should have consequences.

2. Bombing specified targets is different to taking possession based on an orchestrated package of lies, in support of a completely different undisclosed agenda.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Hm...

What are all of you smoking?

No one else sees something funny about this?

The Greeks are suing Britain over something Britain did to Iraq. The suit would take place in a court in the Netherlands...

Hmmm so why are the Greeks suing again? Who wronged the Greeks? Oh right no one...

Congrats to Greece on becoming as stupid and irrelevant as the government of Belgium.

Honestly, other than food what the hell do these 2 countries still contribute to the world community? Get a life Greece.

[Edited on 7-30-2003 by Djarums]

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Oh and as a follow up question to those of you who take this kangaroo court seriously...

What do you think will happen if/when this "Court" finds Blair guilty. Are the Greeks or someone from the Hague going to send some policemen to London to arrest Blair? Or maybe these secondary countries will impose economic sanctions against the 2 most powerful countries ever to exist on the face of the earth?

The whole thing is a joke and contributes more and more to the increasing irrelevancy of the UN and "International Community" in general. People honestly need to learn their place. Rabbits have no business trying to control the affairs of lions.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   

2. Bombing specified targets is different to taking possession based on an orchestrated package of lies, in support of a completely different undisclosed agenda.

Yeah, sure. Try to explain your point of view to those who lived under the " Clinton-Blair Bombings era ".

Also, I didn't do any knee-jerk. But I agree that I pointed my finger.
But it was necessary !

Originally posted by Djarums

Congrats to Greece on becoming as stupid and irrelevant as the government of Belgium.

Don't worry Djarums. During the last elections, we fired the ecologist from the gov. So the law will change soon and will become completely useless.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Djarums

I'm afraid you have no understanding of international law at all.

The case, whatever pans out with it, is not intended to be Greece vs Britain.

And your statement about 'rabbits and lions' says a great deal about your view of world affairs.

I'm sorry you made those posts, but I doubt that you even see the problem with them.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Charges are sad:

"The repeated, blatant violations by the United States and Britain of the stipulations of the four 1949 Geneva conventions, the 1954 convention of the Hague as well as the charter of the international criminal court, constitute war crimes and crimes against humanity," the lawyers said in a statement.

"[The accused] intended to cause severe psychological distress or major physical or psychological damage to individuals who enjoy the protection of the Geneva conventions."

But silly me, I already knew this:

No .... "similar charges against the American president, George Bush, because Washington had still not ratified the treaty which set up the ICC."

Does anyone see the hypocracy in this?

Charging Blair/Bush with war crimes for ridding the world of a war criminal who the panty-waist un-UN didn't have the balls to take care of...12 worthless resolutions- then the Police had to go in again.....

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Tyriffic

I think you mean 'hypocrisy', but I'm no expert in that, it's a flagship of the Bush administration.

No, there is no hypocrisy in the Greeks or anyone else bringing these charges. It was not they who forced the weapons inspectors out, and said they knew exactly where WMDs were in oder to present their urgent case to the population of the world.

But I am concerned for you again, Big T, because you show some confusion about policing roles, and it is coming home to roost right under your nose, not in the distant Middle East.

You seem to be saying that Police should be well above the established laws and conventions that everyone in the society that calls upon them subscribes too.

I wish you very well in Police State USA, which your attitude is helping to bring about.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   
I don't think anyone had planned for international law to be used in such a sad manner as this, but there will always be people in support of such frivolous lawsuits anyways.

I find it hysterical that your precious international court goes after bush, blair, and sharon but doesn't seem to find any problems with arafat, hussein, or any of the nice guy leaders of libya, cuba, rwanda. Apparently Qaddafi is a real cool guy. Why don't the Greeks and Belgians (who are obviously lacking in exciting endeavors at home) bring some suits against him?

Oh i forgot because the "International Community" is only interested in criticizing the US.

War crimes huh? That's a matter of opinion. Any war that you disagree with is going to be considered criminal... BY YOU.

Objectivity apparently doesn't apply to you MA or to this "court"

That's what I'm sorry about.

The only saving grace here is that not a damn thing will come of this anyways. Deal with it.

[Edited on 7-31-2003 by Djarums]

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Well, I think it has more relevance than keeping an association of Greek lawyers busy, so I'm sorry that you're sorry!

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Tyriffic

I think you mean 'hypocrisy', but I'm no expert in that, it's a flagship of the Bush administration.

No, there is no hypocrisy in the Greeks or anyone else bringing these charges. It was not they who forced the weapons inspectors out, and said they knew exactly where WMDs were in oder to present their urgent case to the population of the world.

But I am concerned for you again, Big T, because you show some confusion about policing roles, and it is coming home to roost right under your nose, not in the distant Middle East.

You seem to be saying that Police should be well above the established laws and conventions that everyone in the society that calls upon them subscribes too.

I wish you very well in Police State USA, which your attitude is helping to bring about.

Sorry MA, I didn't know the spelling/mistake in typing police were here along with the U.S....

I am also sorry your adoptive party- Democratic- is at it's lowest level of popularity since FDR. The American people are wise to this slash and burn tactic used by demos who have no moral high ground, no ideas, and can only blame ofthers for doing what they are afraid to do for fear of losing votes and pork. Pathetic.

And as for this court, hmm, sounds fishy- since there are no Iraqis bringing forth?? Whoopdi Do!!
The democrats are losing the hearts and minds in this country because of their hypocricy. They blame
the Admin for a war most eventually supported, but after 90 days and no nukes or anthrax, all of a sudden it was not a just war?? This is why people are not overjoyed with two faced individuals like these. The demos wouldn't know a just war if it stepped on them.

..as for the Police state...

From The Heritage Foundation:

Playing Global Cop Overextends the Thin Red, White and Blue Line
July 28, 2003 | |

www.heritage.org...

[Edited on 31-7-2003 by Tyriffic]

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Big T

There were tens of millions marching in the US and worldwide against the war, and they will do so again.

BTW, it wasn't you who just voted for Mother Teresa as the worst villain of the past 100 years on that poll thingy, was it?

posted on Jul, 31 2003 @ 06:17 AM
link   
..a desperate man is hard to watch....

GORE/DEAN IN '04

new topics

top topics

join