It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Polio Crosses the Ocean - Arrives in Indonesia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
One of the most populous nations on the planet has been put on alert that an outbreak of Polio may be imminent. So far, only one case has been identified by the WHO, but officials are urging immediate vaccinations to prevent the disease from spreading. The Polio strain is similar to one that has been leaking out of Nigeria since 2003. The debilitating disease was very nearly wiped out, but has resurfaced due to rumors that the vaccine might be a Western plot to spread AIDS.

www.nytimes.com
A case of polio has been detected in Indonesia, World Health Organization officials said today, indicating that an outbreak spreading from northern Nigeria since 2003 had crossed an ocean and reached the world's fourth-most-populous country.

The virus, found in a village in Java, is most closely related to a strain that was found in Saudi Arabia in December, they said, and the most likely explanation is that it was brought back either by an Indonesian working there or by a pilgrim who went to Mecca in January.

Indonesia's last case was in 1995, and it is now the 16th country to be re-infected by a strain of the virus that broke out of northern Nigeria when vaccinations stopped there, then crossed Africa and the Red Sea.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

While I don't believe a disease can ever be truly wiped out, I do know that reducing the infection rates of this crippling illness was a major accomplishment. It's unfortunate that it has once again risen to threaten the world, especially considering the fact that many countries no longer vaccinate against it because of a belief it had been completely eradicated.

The nations immediately threatened by it are predominantly Muslim countries. There has been a persistent rumor that the cure is deadlier than the disease, the accuracy of which has never been verified. Like all good rumors, facts have little to do with fear. Once a rumor is out, there's little that can be done to put it away again.

I hope the affected areas take all necessary precautions, to prevent an even more disastrous outbreak. This disease is nothing to fool around with. It's crippling, and quite painful, and as far as I know there is no effective cure. The only measures that have proven effective are purely preventative.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   
The government of Nigeria is the one to blame for this outbreak. Had they not stopped vaccinating they would not have to worry would they?

Now because of their stupidity the whole world has to look out. What is wrong with this picture?

[edit on 5/2/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   
This strain apparently came from Saudi Arabia, but they probably got it via Nigeria.

That does seem to be the source for the strain now infecting 16 countries.

Fortunately, paralysis resulting from the disease is relatively isolated. This is a good and bad thing, because it means the disease can spread undetected, but it also means few sufferers are crippled by it.

Let's hope the vaccine is administered if a.) it's safe b.) it's available and c.) if people will allow it despite the rumors.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
It's not about AIDS, although it may have been back in the day. These days it's about sterilization. Much less media-inflammatory, less documented and easier to blame other factors.

www.whale.to...
Dr. Haruna Kaita is the JNI scientists who conducted the test on the polio vaccines in India, and he is also the Dean, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Ahmadu Bello University Zaria.

You are among the JNI scientists who went to India to conduct various tests on the controversial OPV which was alleged to have contaminants. What was the outcome of your tests?

...I spent about 23 days in India mostly in laboratories conducting analysis on the samples of oral Polio vaccines I took along, using some of the most sophisticated laboratory equipments in the world which were even cited and recommended by WHO as number one. It is WHO that said GC-MS is the best equipment for discovering contaminants in drugs because of its sensitivity and its is state of the art in the world. So I used that machine and used Radio-Immuno assay in conducting the tests.

What was the result you got from the tests?

Some of the Indian scientists who were in the lab also wondered how come a polio vaccine had such contaminants that were not suppose to be there. Some of the things we discovered in the vaccines are harmful, toxic; some have direct effect on human reproductive system. But I was surprised when one of the federal government doctors was telling me something contrary to what I have learnt, studied, taught and is the common knowledge of all pharmaceutical scientist, that estrogen cannot induce anti-fertility response on human. That is the most absurd thing I ever heard from a learned person who said he is a professor. I am a professional in my chosen field, I am a professional pharmacist, I am an authority when it comes to drug, and here is somebody telling me that I don't know the biological or pharmacological effect of a drug substance in human body. I found that argument very disturbing and ridiculous.

A reasonable summary of all the connections here:
www.newdawnmagazine.com...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Guardian: Anti-polio campaign in Indonesia

Indonesia plans to vaccinate 5.2 million children in one day to prevent the spread of polio, which has re-emerged in the country

The immunisation drive will be held at the end of the month, concentrated in the three provinces closest to Girijaya, the village at the centre of the outbreak, about 70 miles south-east of Jakarta, according to Yus Harman, the head of the programme.

The strain is believed to have originated in Nigeria, where Islamic clerics boycotted a vaccination campaign they claimed was part of an American anti-Muslim plot.

Indonesia is the 16th country to be reinfected with polio since 2003.

They were very close to stop polio in Africa, but they lost control of it and it is now spreading.
ATS: Muslim Polio Conspiracy In Africa

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I personally don't blame people who don't want to be shot up with foreign vaccines. Once a vaccine started being produced in a muslim country, most of the objections melted away. That's pretty silly, in my opinion.

Do these muslims think the evil foreigners all hate them enough to poison their medicine? If the vaccine can be tainted in one place, it can be tainted by the same means elsewhere. Their newly found comfort seems strange to me, anywho...

Thanks for the links, Helmutt and WIP!

This story isn't getting big press, but I think the disease will keep spreading, and then the press won't have a choice but to cover it.

People were so close to eradicating it, they got cocky and stopped vaccinating for it. Now they're paying for that. Then again, the Polio vaccine can have catastrophic side effects..so..is the disease worse than the cure?

Where might this head next? Across Asia? Up to Europe? Perhaps the Balkans? I suppose only time will tell.

top topics

join