It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netfires - humvee carried artillery?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   
This is interesting fire support program for FCS (future combat systems). The best thing about it is the weight and deployability. In fact it is something like "rockets in the box" launched vertically like Navy VLS. It can be carried by Humvee, truck, modiefied Stryker or it can be simply set on the ground. The container is completely platform independent. The box contains 15 rockets and control elecronics.

It has 2 types of misilles :

Precision Attack Missile (PAM), which was formerly developed by Raytheon Corporation alone. The missile travels at high speed for minimal time to target or to reach maximum range. It has a variable thrust motor, an uncooled infrared laser seeker and a multi-mode warhead. The PAM can be utilized for both hard and soft targets.

* 7-inch diameter 120 lb class (formerly 100 lb class)
* Range support: 40-60 kms (formerly 0.5-50 km)
* Variable thrust solid rocket motor
* Dual-mode precision end game seeker
* Large multi-mode warhead
* In-flight updates, retargeting and image capabilities

The second is a Loitering Attack Missile (LAM), which has continued to be developed by both Lockheed Martin and Raytheon. It carries a laser detection and ranging ("ladar") seeker, a turbojet motor, and wings that extend on launch. The missile has a 70-kilometer range with a 30-minute loiter time. It is able to loiter over targets of interest, do automatic target recognition and attack targets on its own.

* 7-inch diameter 120 lb class (formerly 100 lb class)
* Large area search capability using a LADAR seeker with
* automatic target recognition (ATR)
* 45 minute cruise with micro turbojet engine
* Networks with CLU and maneuver/control elements for
* redirect, target acquisition, down-linked images

The misilles are fired at the GPS coordinates first and thean the IR or laser seeker finds the target. The range should be 50-60 km (quite a lot for such small rockets).

link

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Interesting find there, longbow. I admit that I haven't heard (nor really looked) for information about anything like this before, but this seems like an interesting system to try out. I didn't see anything in the link about any possible deployment date, but I understand it's still in development.

[edit on 5/2/2005 by TheDemonHunter]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
This reminds me too the unit from the game Total Annihilation named Diplomat.

join