It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Puerto Rican Naval base, ironic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 09:11 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

Monday, July 28, 2003

MIAMI � File this one under "Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it."

The people of Puerto Rico are facing some unanticipated consequences from a victory they won in 2001.

For several years, Puerto Rican protesters demanded that the U.S. Navy leave the island of Vieques (search). Groups staged violent protests outside the main gate of "Camp Garcia," saying they were sick and tired of the live-fire bombing exercises.

The violence resulted in the gates of the base being torn down. Several U.S. troops and police dogs were injured in the demonstrations.

In response to the years of protest, former President Clinton agreed to stop Navy exercises there. Congress and President Bush ratified the deal and live-fire exercises were halted last May. But with its mission muzzled after 60 years, the Navy has decided to pull out of Puerto Rico completely.

That means the largest employer on the island, the Roosevelt Roads Naval Station (search), is now slated for closure that could come as early as October.

Island workers are accusing the Navy of economic revenge.

"You dedicate all your talents, all your efforts. You're loyal to your employer, this case being the U.S. Navy, and what do you get in return? A kick in the you-know-what," said Ana Angelet of the Puerto Rican chapter of the American Federation of Government Employees.

The 2004 defense-spending bill that is working its way through Congress has a provision in it to close the base down officially. With the loss of the base, Puerto Rico will also lose nearly $300 million the military pumped into it each year.

Puerto Ricans say the Navy is just mad because they won, and forced the live exercises to end. The Navy does not hide its disappointment. Navy officials say the location was long considered the best overall spot for exercises and stopping the live-fire training cost American military lives.

Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., a member of the Armed Services Committee (search), said Puerto Rico's politicians are to blame for the financial misfortune since they backed the protests.

"I just think it's a shame that the people, the ones that are suffering, are the people of Puerto Rico because it was the politicians that did it to them," Inhofe said.

Puerto Rican Gov. Sila Calderon, who backed the booting of the Navy from Vieques, made no apologies for a decision that could crush the Puerto Rican economy.

"We are partners with the U.S., but definitely the rights of the people of Vieques are not for sale or for any other purpose," Calderon said.

She also refused to discuss the possibility that the base closure could become law.

"This decision is not final at this point. The bill is not approved, and our aim as the commonwealth government is to have the decision postponed for 2005, when all the bases are going to be evaluated," she said.

The U.S. government may decide to hold onto the more than 8,000 acres, rather than returning it to the people of Puerto Rico.

"Those that don't want that to happen say well, 'Let's just give back to the Puerto Rican politicians,' and reward them with an asset that's worth $1.7 billion for kicking us off that range that has cost American lives. That's just not going to happen," Inhofe said.

The sense on all sides is that Congress will give the green light to shut down "Rosie Roads" officially. Bush could sign the bill into law as early as next month.

Fox News' Orlando Salinas contributed to this report.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 01:37 AM
link   
This has been all over the news here in Puerto Rico for the past couple of months. I never agreed with the descision for closing the base down for exactly the same reason.... too many people would loose their jobs. I guess they should have thought about the consequences before staging all those protests. I mean it was obvious that the US would be pissed off. That just goes to show that some people let their emotions take over without thinking. Now The Island faces a huge problem. I just hope our government can handle the aftermath of this closure.

[Edited on 29-7-2003 by Ocelot]

[Edited on 29-7-2003 by Ocelot]

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 02:02 AM
link   
OOC: Im Puerto Rican

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Volkswagen
OOC: Im Puerto Rican

Great to see another fellow puerto rican on the board.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Could you tell me what the civilian sentiment is down there? Also, how many people would lose their jobs? Being Puerto Rican, how do you view this situation? Is it fair to the U.S. taxpayers to keep the base open with no military exercises available?

I wonder how much it takes to keep that base open and how much money the local merchants make of the soldiers? Is it even worth it, I wonder.

But then again, I am more happy to keep the base open with no exercises than have my tax dollars goto study on asian hookers or a homosexual high school.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I wish I could feel sorry for the Puerto Ricans who are gonna lose their jobs...but I don't.

Vieques was a fabulous spot for live fire and gunnery exercises. For all practical purposes it was the only place on the East Coast where naval gun fire support could be practiced. With it's closure, the Navy lost a valuable training facility that helped sharpen the skills of our sailors and marines. And trust me - I've been there many times...the place is a deserted desert island with nothing but a few goats running around.

All the crap about hazardous chemicals, noise polution, EPA violations, etc. was all just tactics to get the Navy out so greedy PR landowners could take over and local PR government officials could "look good" fighting and winning a fight against the US gov't.

You reap what you sow, and I don't feel sorry if the Puerto Ricans are short-sighted.

Maybe next time the opportunity to become a state comes up they will change their minds.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This reminds me of the Naval base in the Phillipines. The Fillipinos were demanding we leave, so we did (the decision was easier after a volcano covered the base in ash). The local enconomy goes in the toilet so the Filipinos started yelling at America to reopen it.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Isnt Vieques the island where Jesse Jacksons wife joined the protest, got arrested, and he left her in jail for about 3 months while he got things sorted out with his illegitimate child with a secretary?

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 11:32 PM
link   
One in the same, dr. A lot of "celebrities" were there for the "cause."

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I serve in the U.S. Navy and I'm glad that the Navy is out
of Vieques. I'm also from Puerto Rico.
Ok , How do you feel if planes flys only feet from your roof
at any time day or night. Exploxions chequing the windows of
your home day or night. That The cases of Canser are 4 times
higher in Vieques than in the rest of Puerto Rico. That the planes
and bombs have kill civilians. Than your wifes and children have
to stay inside ther homes becouse if not sailors and Marines will
molest them and the Navy does nothing about it. That the fishing
industry is gone. How will you feel , if all this happens for example
in Orlando Fl. Belive me you will not let this happen!!

So to end , yes I'm happy the U.S. Navy is out of Vieques. That we
we lost some jobs? SO BE IT!!!

new topics

top topics

join