It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "Mooreish" movie on the UFO subject?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I was reading the book "Dude, Where's My Country?"(By Michael Moore) a few days ago, when a thought hit me:
If someone made a movie like "Farenheit 9/11"(never seen it) or "Bowling for Columbine", but insted about the UFO phenomena and the secrecy surrounding it and presenting some of the credible evidence etc, do you think it would help to provide disclosure on the subject(if it made it to the cinemas)? Or at least, bring the subject into the spotlights?

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I think many of us were hoping the Peter Jennings special would do just that...

However, those of us who knew better, pretty much knew it was going to go according to formula. Hell, I practically outlined the format of the entire program a month before it aired, because it was so true to formula for such debunk attempts.

It would be great to see, and Moore just may even be the person to do it...as he's already shown he's not above risking journalistic reputation to get the message across. That's really the big problem. Journalists are too afraid to treat the subject of aliens in any other fashion other than ridicule, lest they lose their credibility (and therefore their livelihood).

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I think many of us were hoping the Peter Jennings special would do just that...

Gazrok, I'm sure you watched the re-broadcast last night on the National Geographic Channel since I know how much you thouroughly enjoyed the original broadcast.

It would be great to see, and Moore just may even be the person to do it...as he's already shown he's not above risking journalistic reputation to get the message across. That's really the big problem. Journalists are too afraid to treat the subject of aliens in any other fashion other than ridicule, lest they lose their credibility (and therefore their livelihood).

I'm not sure. I think Moore might do more harm than good. The herd has already been conditioned to loathe and despise him.

Peace

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
A while back I made the suggestion of a movie about Roswell using the same format as the movie JFK. I think that would be excellent. Maybe Oliver Stone would do it? But I think it takes something like a cinematic movie, before people become aware. But I doubt it would result in any action by the public to demand disclosure.

[edit on 5/2/2005 by Hal9000]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
I'm not sure. I think Moore might do more harm than good. The herd has already been conditioned to loathe and despise him.

That's very true. Although Moore is probably the best candidate as far as "popular" media would go--he'd be the least likely to turn it down--he's already looked on by a lot of people as a crackpot. Also, as much credit as I have to give him for a lot of the stuff he's done, he does have a bad habit of taking things out of context. In Columbine he talks about the number of gun deaths in various countries, but if I remember right he doesn't go into too much detail on the different laws, just throws a whole bunch of numbers out with the US having an astonishing number compared to Canada or Australia. UFOlogy has enough people who do that as it is; we don't need someone to give more reason the field is less than credible.

But something does need to be done along the lines of Farenheit or Columbine. Hmmmm.....Bowling for Greys anyone?

EDIT: Forgot to remove the closing quote tag...

[edit on 5/2/2005 by MCory1]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Gazrok, I'm sure you watched the re-broadcast last night on the National Geographic Channel since I know how much you thouroughly enjoyed the original broadcast.

Nah...I've got it on tape...as deplorable as it was.
"Desperate Housewives" was far more realistic than Jennings' reporting....
And the "Family Guy" returning to tv a far better thing, than the rubbish done by the other Peter....

he does have a bad habit of taking things out of context

That he does. It was more of a jesting than an actual suggestion really. In order to even be given an ounce of respect, you'd need a narrator who isn't connected to Sci Fi or controversy in general. I believe that the Sci Fi Channel's getting Gumbel for the Rendlesham special they did, for example, was a great idea. For those not really in the know about this, this particular network has really taken some extraordinary efforts in bringing some key UFO evidence to the masses, and even above and beyond the specials they air....

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I believe that the Sci Fi Channel's getting Gumbel for the Rendlesham special they did, for example, was a great idea. For those not really in the know about this, this particular network has really taken some extraordinary efforts in bringing some key UFO evidence to the masses, and even above and beyond the specials they air....

I agree. Gumbel did one hell of a job on the Rendelsham and Roswell specials. I think he did another as well about a UFO crash in Ohio, Kecksburg I believe it was.

I used to look forward to Tuesday Night Declassified every week, but they stopped all the sudden. Maybe they just ran out of material, or maybe it was something more.

Peace

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I'm sure the SciFi channel does have great specials on the topic--I've seen some of their shows on ghosts, etc. but never any of their UFO stuff. But its really hard for me to really take a channel that has "Fiction" in its name serious as a documentary station. I imagine its the same for the majority of the population as well. I think in order to be considered credible, it would have to be run on one of the more "serious" channels such as TLC or Discovery (if not the biggies like CNN.) Of course, they would never run a serious expose on the subject because it would impair their credibility. Great example of Catch-22 in action...

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by MCory1
Great example of Catch-22 in action...

Exactly! The whole UFO subject is a catch-22. No scientist will stick their necks out and give it any credibility. ABC was the first legitimate network to do more than just a cursory piece on UFOs, and based on the ratings it got, the catch-22 will go on indefinitely. The public is the biggest reason for the catch-22. We've been conditioned to not really care about UFOs when the chances are very good that UFOs and aliens might end up being the most important thing to us other than our loved ones.

Peace

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Dr Love]

top topics

join