It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christianity taking over planet?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Well I sure hadn't heard that before but I knew China had more Christians than the United States did, Europe Christian population is shrinking very quickly. I know it is an add for a book but it was something that I had heard no one claiming before, I think it is a good thing if true and only rings of our Lords impending return....

Christianity taking over planet?

New book makes case it's fastest growing faith on Earth

What is the fastest-growing religion on Earth?

Most news reports suggest it is Islam.

But a new book makes a compelling case it is a new, or, perhaps, old form of biblically inspired evangelical Christianity that is sweeping through places like China, Africa, India and Southeast Asia.

Rutz makes the point that Christianity is overlooked as the fastest-growing faith in the world because most surveys look at the traditional Protestant denominations and the Roman Catholic Church while ignoring Christian believers who have no part of either.

He says there are 707 million "switched-on disciples" who fit into this new category and that this "church" is exploding in growth.

"The growing core of Christianity crosses theological lines and includes 707 million born-again people who are increasing by 8 percent a year," he says.

So fast is this group growing that, under current trends, according to Rutz, the entire world will be composed of such believers by the year 2032.

Link to article here

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Nice book report by the way Ed.

But for the record I'd like to put to rest any and all doubts anyone may have about the credibility of one so called WORLDNUTDAILY.COM

This "news article" which they even went so far as to label an "exclusive"
is a paid advertisment.

As a very special added bonus, when you purchase "Megashift" from WND's online store, you can also receive – FREE – three issues of our acclaimed monthly Whistleblower magazine, which many have called the best news magazine in the world. That's a $22.50 free value! (Offer good in the U.S. only.) Watch for the free offer during checkout.

Order your copy of "Megashift" online, or if you prefer ordering by phone, call our toll-free order line: 1-800-4-WND-COM (1-800-496-3266).

It's not news. It's no more news than the other paid ad right above it.

WorldNutDaily in fact isn't news at all or even close. Some defend it as "conservative" or "Christian" news, but it's not. It's mostly just a blog pretending to be a news portal, full of ads pretending to be news.

Half the time they don't even link their opinion to anything in the published news (like ATSNN does) unless it's to try and sell something.

Just had to clear that up. I've seen this "ad" now appear on several Christian forums as news today. I hate to see people not even know they're selling Amway.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I'm just pointing that out for the benefit of the next poor soul that directs me to the WorlddNutDaily anonymous opinion ad blog to "discredit" a valid news article or scientific poll.

You will wish you hadn't brought it up.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   
uhmmmm
Something caught my attention:

"Megashift" attempts to document myriad healings and other powerful answers to the sincere prayers of this new category of believer, including, believe it or not, hundreds of dramatic cases of resurrections – not near-death experiences, but real resurrections of actual corpses.

say what?

That is just.... no comment, really.

I think I'm convinced now and I am going to convert.

Gotta love the math, btw:

"There will be pockets of resistance and unforeseen breakthroughs," writes Rutz. "Still, at the rate we're growing now, to be comically precise, there would be more Christians than people by the autumn of 2032, about 8.2 billion."

He points out the flaw in his theory himself. Good work.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I find this quite suspicious... the site does seem more like an ad, like those infomercials on tv which try to pass of as TV shows but are really hour long ads for various products...

I'm sticking my beliefs to all the other estimates and reports, most of which say Islam is the fastest growing religion... luckily its not the radical brand, but the more moderate type that is spreading.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
If you folks would have read, I noted that it was an advertisement for a book, I said it right at the beginning, nice find RANT

I just thought the theory was a bit strange even being Christian I thought it was a bit out there, but when you look at the numbers, Christianity is growing faster in China and South/Latin America more than any other religion and it could make sense in the long run although, I am still a bit sceptical.

Its an ad, so what? I said as much.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:28 PM
link   
This mind is not for rent.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Its an ad, so what? I said as much.

You did.
And like I said it was just a side note on my part about the source, not the book. Just a pet peeve.

I'd discuss the book subject, but I haven't read it. Sorry.

I'm sure it's easy enough to see though that the two only growing religions on the planet are Christianity and Islam. They're the main ones that prosthelytize.

Born agains increasing by 8% a year it says? They've got a loooooooong way to go. What's the population increase rate anyway? It's got to be more than 8%.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Does this take into account people switching from one form of christianity to another? Because if it takes into account new converts, does it take into account people leaving... i.e a catholic becoming mormon.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
.. i.e a catholic becoming mormon.

Thats a bit different, the Mormons do get their word out very well.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I've seen sources that say that atheism is the fastest growing philosophy on the planet, and sources that claim Mormonism is, and sources that claim Islam is, etc, etc. About the only thing I haven't seen promoted as a fast-growing religion is Zororasterism.

If you narrowly (or broadly) define a religion, you can make a case for it growing quickly. If I take the extremist Christian view and say that Catholicism and Mormonism aren't Christian but Pagan, then I can claim Paganism is taking over the planet any day now.

I think the claim should probably be taken with some salt.

posted on May, 14 2005 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
If I take the extremist Christian view and say that Catholicism and Mormonism aren't Christian but Pagan, then I can claim Paganism is taking over the planet any day now.

Wow! I can not even say that. A bit warped but what denomination isnt?

That was a brave statement and yet at ATS no one even noticed.

new topics

top topics

join