It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MSNBC to Lose MS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 05:19 AM
link   
The cable news network MSNBC is reportedly dropping its affiliation with Microsoft and will be renamed to "NBC News Channel":

May 2, 2005 -- ALL-news cable channel MSNBC is changing its name, according to reports.
The new channel will be called NBC News Channel, according to the Internet's Drudge Report — apparently losing its connection to software giant Microsoft.

The change has long been rumored to be in the works.

Last March, it was reported that NBC and Microsoft (the "MS" part of MSNBC) were negotiating to sever their nine-year partnership for the channel.

"The new name is cleaner, less confusing . . . represents the programming," Drudge quoted an insider as saying.

No word on when the change might come.

NY Post

I hope it helps them out, although I mostly watch FOX, I do like some shows on MSNBC, I don't understand why they're behind CNN in the ratings.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Out of all cable news television I have to say that MSNBC is my favorite. It has such a different vibe from CNN. I feel that the anchors are a lot friendlier and not to mention their primetime shows can be quite funny and informing.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 05:29 AM
link   
They started out as pretty much "Gen X" news. To the point it was a bad SNL skit. They've since morphed into just like everyone else. Might as well drop the cutting edge components of Internet/Broadcast synergies and be just another cable clone.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 05:45 AM
link   
I remember them running around the studio like crazy writing on whiteboards during the 2000 election mayhem, I guess that's what you mean by "cutting edge" RANT...

Maybe part of their problem is that they try to be too middle of the road and most liberals just watch CNN and the conservatives just watch FOX and they don't have much of an audience left.

But, actually, I think they're doing better than they had in the past. I like Hardball and Scarborough Country and watch those in preference to what FOX has on in the same time slots (FOX Report and Greta Van Sustern). I imagine a lot of liberals would prefer to watch Oblermann over O'Reilly. I don't even know what CNN offers anymore, I never watch it.

[edit on 5/2/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
But, actually, I think they're doing better than they had in the past. I like Hardball and Scarborough Country and watch those in preference to what FOX has on in the same time slots (FOX Report and Greta Van Sustern). I imagine a lot of liberals would prefer to watch Oblermann over O'Reilly. I don't even know what CNN offers anymore, I never watch it.

[edit on 5/2/2005 by djohnsto77]

MSNBC does have both blantantly liberal as well as conservative shows. CNN is just balanced, accurate, responsible reporting and programming same as it ever was IMO. MSNBC's failure was probably trying to be half FOX and half "news for liberals." It's like getting whiplash from just watching a car accident IMO.

On the "cutting edge" thing they intially promised the greatest synergies of technology imaginable, but failed to deliver as you said. They also had a bunch of 20 something "anchors" doing X-treme news and opinion for a while. It didn't catch on. They've been "mainstreaming" ever since. This name change just seems like the final move.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I hope it helps them out, although I mostly watch FOX, I do like some shows on MSNBC, I don't understand why they're behind CNN in the ratings.

Because, there are only a maximum number of conservative viewers in a single night. The conservative based "opinion" shows have reached the top of the bell curve - the glass ceiling. MSNBC and FOX News have been struggling over the same target audience for a while now. Basically, they're fighting over a bigger share of the same 3 million people every night.

That's why Joe Scarborough has taken such a hard stance on his show, to try and steal the hard right viewers away from Greta VS - who is pretty moderate, even liberal at times. She doesn't appeal to the typical, Fox target audience. So, Joe tries to appeal to them - so they click the channel up one.

They hired Tucker Carlson to steal away conservative viewers from Hannity and Colmes. Same time slot - I don't think it will work though. Hannity is too much of a goof, and with O'Reilly as the lead in, he's gold. Tucker comes across as too "big city" for the heartland folk.

I wager he lasts 6 months before NBC reshuffles the entire line up to present a more liberal point of view. Not because I actually believe there's a Liberal agenda, but because it's easier to steal liberal viewers away from CNN, than it is to steal consevrative viewers away from FOX.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
MSNBC is still on the air....?
Considering it's ratings I'm Suprised they just don't pull the plug on the channel.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
MSNBC does have both blantantly liberal as well as conservative shows. CNN is just balanced, accurate, responsible reporting and programming same as it ever was IMO. MSNBC's failure was probably trying to be half FOX and half "news for liberals." It's like getting whiplash from just watching a car accident IMO.

STOP IT
YER KILLING ME

Fair and balanced? I wonder where I have heard that before......LOL

Although its not as bad a FOX it doesnt seem very balanced to me, I prefer MSNBC for the same reason you dislike it, it shows both sides of the story.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by brimstone735
I wager he lasts 6 months before NBC reshuffles the entire line up to present a more liberal point of view. Not because I actually believe there's a Liberal agenda, but because it's easier to steal liberal viewers away from CNN, than it is to steal consevrative viewers away from FOX.

MSNBC tried to target a liberal audience in the past with Phil Donohue and his show was an utter flop.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 09:19 AM
link   

MSNBC tried to target a liberal audience in the past with Phil Donohue and his show was an utter flop.

They were still trying to sell it to the conservative crowd, by over stacking the guests conservative view points. There was a power struggle behind the scenes with the top brass. Plus, it was also 3 years ago and MSNBC has enjoyed limited, to absolutely zero growth since then.

Simply put, when MSNBC fails to steal enough conservative viewers from FOX, they'll target CNN instead. It's just Television warfare, like clockwork, and it's been going on since Milton Berle.

new topics

top topics

join