It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Plans Defense of Nuclear Program (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Tehran is planning to publically defend it's nuclear energy program at an international forum against U.S. allegations that Iran's nuclear program is for non-peaceful uses. The U.S., meanwhile, will be using the forum to generate international support for tough measures against Iran should they not relinquish their nuclear energy program.

www.msnbc.msn.com
Iran is planning to mount a staunch defense of its nuclear energy program at an international conference beginning today and will insist on rights to the same technology afforded to all members of the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT), a senior Iranian official said in an interview yesterday.

The high-level counteroffensive, to be led by Iranian Foreign Minister Kamal Kharrazi, comes in anticipation of a tough speech the Bush administration is preparing to give today calling for international measures against Tehran unless it gives up sensitive aspects of its nuclear program.

M. Javad Zarif, Iran's ambassador to the United Nations, said his country's efforts are peaceful and well within its rights. Kharrazi, who will address the gathering tomorrow, will spend much of this week discussing the issue with diplomats from around the world.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The way I see it, this is as bad as it gets right now in the Middle East. The U.S. stance and their plans at this forum seem to indicate the U.S. is honestly planning to deal with Iran eventually, however they see fit (which usually means war).

The good news (and this being "good news" depends on your POV) is that the situation has changed recently and if the U.S. cannot sell the rest of the world it's case on Iran, or North Korea for that matter, the U.S. will have a tough time garnering the international support it needs to take any sort of action against Iran. My analysis is that the U.S. government does not want to go at it alone against Iran.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:41 PM
link   
The US should not have to go it alone against Iran. The issue of nuclear weapons affects the entire world. We're not talking about something as beige as fishing rights or whatever; we're talking the potential destruction of the earth. It is in the world's best interests to get involved.

If Iran does not intend to use it's nuclear program for weaponry, then why build the facilities so far underground?

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 12:53 PM
link   
With the ongoing debacle in Iraq, I doubt any other countries are likely to support us in Iran, they've already been burned once.

The UK has already flatly said no, if we can't get the UK behind us, we're not going to get anyone IMHO.

If we go into Iran, don't expect any support, just a lot of "I told you so", pointing, and snickering, when it inevitably blows up in our faces.

Much of the world wants to see us take another big fall, not least among them our own leadership.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

When did the spread of nuclear armed states suddenly become an "American problem"? Shouldn't the rest of the world be concerned about a Nation that builds uranium enrichment facilities 54 feet below the surface in secret?? Please someone explain to me why there is no cause for concern when there are all the components being put in place to make nuclear armed weapons. I'm sure we can trust Iran on its word with these issues. Not!
Iran Moving Methodically Toward Nuclear Capability

Another issue is how much work Iran did on advanced centrifuge machines, known as P-2s. Inspectors had independent suspicions that Iran had been experimenting with another type of centrifuge. When confronted, Iran acknowledged that it had bought a complete set of P-2 designs in 1995.
Iranian officials explained that the P-2s had been left out of the October report because nobody asked about them and because the scientists were concentrating on the P-1.

As long as we don't ask Iran about anything or ask them to prove things I'm sure we will be allright.

new topics

top topics

join