It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum Communication

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Scientists in china have broken the record of quatom communication, was 600 meters. I think they reached a sattelite with a 12cm thick lazer

Could someone please explain to me what is goin on here. All i got from this is that lazers are sending photons from one place to another which hold information. Is that right? And then there was some other parts that just flew over my head. does anyone have any links to better my understanding on this subject.

Heres the article:
www.newscientist.com...

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I was curious so I skimmed over some articles. Apparently the first article you mentioned is found here I believe www.newscientist.com...
where the article mentions the Chinese are sending entangled photons through the air.

I did a search on entangled photons and found this.
www.newscientist.com...

To sum things up quickly from the way I see things. Entangled photons were created to be able to store and read data in a much denser form (ie CD's, DVD's, and/or future derivatives of them) so that a lot more information can be stored on a disk. Entangling the photons creates a shorter wavelength of light I believe.

Being able to send entangled photons through the air would enable a higher volume of data to be communicated I believe. I am not sure on that part but that's the way I saw it. Someone who knows more about this field can feel free to correct me.

I believe there have been some prior discussions on quantum communications here on ATS as well.

[edit on 1-5-2005 by orionthehunter]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:02 AM
link   
well i just posted it, so im sure some people with a better knwoledge than us will post soon. I think this is amazing, and hope to get a better idea of what is going on.

orionthehunter, when i read your post, I saw u said something about how the photon entanglement is in a denser form... i think i got the same jist of things as well from reading that. I wonder if they will use this in computers any time soon??

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Well, I'm afraid you've kind of got the wrong end of the stick. The quantum entangling that their carrying out is a method for super secure encryption techniques rather than any form of increased bandwidth. I'm sure banks around the world are monitoring this closely as they're prime number based encryption won't stay secure for ever.

edit: The entangled photons are completely seperate from the negative refractive index lens by the way, that will allow higher density information storage, but has nothing to do with quantum entanglement

[edit on 2/5/2005 by Slashpepper]

posted on May, 4 2005 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Man, and here I was hoping they found a good way to communicate via entanglement (Instintaneously across any distance [In the univers]).

top topics

join