It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mahabharata & Ramayana versions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Hello,
I was just wondering which english translation of the mahabharata and the ramayana are probably the closest to the actual sanskrit forms and hold most of the real epics them selves and are not shortened. I see alot of versions out there that seem to be shortened from the originals! I have what i believe to be a good english translation of the mahabharata however i can't read a book that long on the computer lol.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Best wishes,
Dani

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Can noone help MEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:shk:
**shrugs**
:w:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
sorry I took so long, i just found your post.

I have various free version from the Hare Rama Hare Krishna people, The Bhagavad Gita As It Is by Swami Bhaktivendanta and then my favorite so far has be by Krishna Dharma Mahabharata: The Greatest Spiritual Epic of All Time

I think you might find Dharma's book on Ebay or Amazon, or check your local indian store, Barnes and Noble can order it for you too.

As for the Bhagavad Gita, you can read for free here.
www.hisdivinegrace.com...

for the Ramayana, I have the Amar Chitra collection of childrens comics that goes through all the stories as individual comic books. I also have it for the Mahabharata.

Check here for the Ramayana book
www.ramayana.com...

I actually got alot of satisfaction and understanding from watching the Bollywood versions of these two epics.
store.nehaflix.com...

almost forgot the link for Amar Chitra. I grew up on these comics and now my kids do the same.

www.amarchitrakatha.com...

[edit on 5-3-2005 by worldwatcher]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
for the Ramayana, I have the Amar Chitra collection of childrens comics that goes through all the stories as individual comic books. I also have it for the Mahabharata.
almost forgot the link for Amar Chitra. I grew up on these comics and now my kids do the same.

www.amarchitrakatha.com...

Hahaha.... Amar Chitra is how I originally learnt the story of Jesus and Buddha. I still have some of those comic books. They're pretty old now.

Wow...now this sounds like an ad for Amar Chitra

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Amar Chitra rocks!!

I still have some of mine's from my childhood, pages are yellow and brittle, but I love them.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Thankyou so much!!!!!! Ill have to order sometime, well then again actually, my birthday is soon! Haha! May 29th! Go ME!!!
I have already read the Bhagavad Gita, but thankyou anyways.
Okay, and just to make sure, these versions of the Great epics, Mahabharata & Ramayana, are as close to the original/Real lengths as possible, meaning they're unshortened right? That is the major thing, there are a few copies at my local library, but when i looked in them i honestly dont think they were complete. Growl.

Amar Chitra rocks!!

I still have some of mine's from my childhood, pages are yellow and brittle, but I love them.

I wish i had been raised hindu, or under some eastern philosophy!:shk: I'd have probably been meditating at age 7!!!
What other hindu texts does Amar Chitra publish? Wait thats probably on one of those links you gave me hah? LOl, stupid question.... Are his all illustrated with the really cool pictures! I love books like that, b/c i love hindu art, and the pics of Sri Krishna and the other Gods are jsut tooo cool!lol

Hmmm, BTW, would any of you also happen to know an author with the Puranas published? Or any of the other sacred hindu Texts, im currently reading the Upanishads under a translation by Eknath Easwaran, while at the same time reading the Dhammapada under the same author lol. (A friend has loaned them to me)

You know it's weird WorldWatcher, b/c when i was making this thread, for some odd reason i felt that you would be the first to find and reply to my thread, lol. Actually i almost thought about sending a U2U with a link to the thread to ask for your input, however i decided it was unnecessary in the end. lol

Thankyou again!
-Dani

[edit on 3-5-2005 by Vesuvius 13]

top topics

join