It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Teens Rescued after Six Days at Sea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Two teenage boys were rescued by fishermen after spending six days at sea in a small Sunfish sailboat. They had prayed to die peacefully, knowing they could not survive without food or water for much longer and having lost the will to fight for their lives. They also prayed for a miracle. The boys' craft drifted some 100 miles north from Sullivan's Island, S.C., where their adventure began. The Coast Guard will review the case to determine how their craft defied the computer models that predicted their course and how they managed to get outside their search grid. When the rescuers asked what the boys wanted them to do with the small sailboat, they said they never wanted to see it again.

www.usatoday.com
Two teenagers lost at sea for six days without food or fresh water were spotted by fishermen more than 100 miles from where they started, clinging to their small sailboat.

The boys quenched their thirst with sea water and slipped into the ocean to cool off, but sharks chased them back onto the boat. At night, they used a single wet suit to keep warm.

"I asked God to take me," 15-year-old Troy Driscoll said as he lay in a hospital emergency room. "You're out there fighting for your life. We didn't want to fight anymore."

Driscoll and his best friend, 18-year-old Josh Long, were spotted Saturday about seven miles off Cape Fear — six days and more than 100 miles from where they had put in off Sullivans Island, S.C., on April 24. The boys were sunburned, dehydrated and exhausted, but otherwise in pretty good shape.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have to wonder why the media picked up this story only after the boys were rescued. All that media attention on Jennifer Wilbanks' psychotic cross-country bus trip could have been used to raise public awareness of this crisis. Regardless, it is good to hear that the boys survived and that they are well.

Related News Links:
www.washingtonpost.com
sunfishsailboats.com
www.apsltd.com

[edit on 05/5/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:38 AM
link   
This is a miracle, thank God they were found!

I also wonder why no press attention was given to this story.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:29 AM
link   
why did they go out on some sail boat without a compass or a gps or anything,...did they even try to actually us the friggen SAIL???

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Even though this sounds like a case of two teens not knowing what they were doing in the first place, I am glad to hear they got back alive and well. I can understand why they never wanted to see the boat agian.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   
them saying they never want to see the boat again is a sign of the sissification of our society..it wasnt the boats fault..it was theirs

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dontknowanything
them saying they never want to see the boat again is a sign of the sissification of our society..it wasnt the boats fault..it was theirs

'sissyfication?! lol! You have got to be kidding me. Try being underage and being lost at sea for a week with no means of survival. These are two of the bravest teenagers I have read about recently. You have no idea what these two went through. The sea is unforgiving and vicious if not respected. Take it from an ex-Navy personell. These kids were FAR from being sissy like. Regardless of whos at fault, it took alot of guts to hang on as long as they did, and even more guts to make peace with their maker and accept certain death with dignity.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
My first reaction when I saw this on the news was how terribly sad it was that this story was overshadowed by the selfish woman who decided to be a runaway bride. These boys could have DIED out there and the media could have really helped by bringing this to the spotlight so that people going out in their boats could be on the lookout. I was glad to hear that a friend of the family took matters into his own hands and contacted all of the marinas up and down the coast. Those working at the marinas were very cooperative and made up flyers and posted them and also told anyone going out to look for these boys.

I'm glad that this had a happy ending but I can't help but be convinced that the happy ending would have come days sooner if the runaway bride hadn't monopolized the media while these boys were missing.

Jemison

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Okay, they weren't sissys, but don't blame the boat.
Would they have preffered to tread water?

Anyway, I agree that the runaway bride caused problems, and she's not the only thing. Imagine if the news networks had cut some of their other features, like cooking, kitties in trees, local VFW events, etc..

Then again, thousands of people go missing every day, and we usually only hear about it once a month, when some photgenic white girl skips town.

There's plenty of blame, so let's spread it around a little.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne

There's plenty of blame, so let's spread it around a little.

Or we could just stop whining about who is to blame and just be happy that these two survived.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
nahhhhhh

That's no fun Kidfinger.

Besides, blame is the mechanism by which change is forced. Maybe if the blame is centered squarely on those who deserve it (the boys and the media) both will be inclined to beware of repeating the mistake.

I'm sure the boys will be very cautious from now on. But will the media?

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I saw these kids interviewed on CNN yesterday, gutsy kids, they survived because they kept their heads and didn't panic

I agree the runaway bride story was a waste of valuable electrons.

new topics

top topics

join