It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preparing your children to avoid the draft

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I was reading the latest Utne Reader
and they had a really thought provoking article about how to prepare your children for the draft.

Helen James, writing in Mothering (Jan./Feb. 2005), urges concerned parents to start compiling a conscientious objector (CO) file for their sons and (who knows?) daughters -- just as she did 13 years ago for her then 9-year-old boy, Adam. "Should [he] ever want to prove the depth of his convictions," she writes, "he'll already have a scrapbook full of documents tracing his beliefs over his entire life."

Old letters, diaries, photographs -- anything that demonstrates a belief that war is unjustifiable -- can be extremely valuable. James began compiling her son's file after taking a photograph of him at an antiwar rally prior to the Gulf War. A handicapped Vietnam veteran limped over to give her a hug and said, "If my mother had done that for me, I wouldn't be like this now."

Today, Adam's file contains the photo, poems he wrote as a child, clippings of demonstrations he attended, a letter from a counselor noting how Adam had abstained from summer camp war games, and much more. Advocacy groups like the Center on Conscience & War and the Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors travel around the country to hold workshops on preparing a convincing argument. Their advice is to start compiling information right away and, when it comes time for children to register, have them write "I am a conscientious objector to war in any form" on their Selective Service cards.

James says she didn't create a file for Adam to push any one political ideology or position, since "only he will determine what values he will hold tomorrow." It's a fair bet, though, that his future won't include military service. Adam, now a 22-year-old, studies conflict resolution, attends Peace Day parades, and knows that, if a military draft becomes reality, he's ready to do battle.

Feeling a Draft
Tomorrow's conscientious objectors are getting ready now

I guess your kids can always change their minds and enlist in the military if they want to, or choose to keep their CO status and sit out of any wars that are illegal or morally wrong. I personally don't know what to think. I don't have kids, so that may skew my judgement. I don't think I could do this personally, but I wouldn't hold it against another parent that did. Some children are brought up in religious families, and have those beliefs forced upon them as children, is this any different? Forcing your CO beliefs upon a child, much like forcing a child to go to church on Sunday? Don't both grow up reflecting your core values and beliefs, and are either of you wrong for doing so?

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Congress doesn't want a draft, the current administration doesn't want a draft, the American people don't want a draft, there's no need for a draft, and most importantly the military doesn't want a draft.
This article is pointless.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird
Congress doesn't want a draft, the current administration doesn't want a draft, the American people don't want a draft, there's no need for a draft, and most importantly the military doesn't want a draft.

Oh yeah? This article is not pointless and I say, in a country that is often at odds with some country somewhere in the world, better to be prepared. BTW, there's no difference between the democrats and republicans on this point. Read 'em and weep. Then apologize to our friend to started the thread.

Universal National Service Act, 2003: H.R. 163

Universal National Service Act, 2003: S. 89

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThatsJustWeird

On the contraire, I think this article is very good. Its the first ive ever heard of such a thing. Personnaly I wouldnt do it to my children if I had kids but it shows other options. And it could help to weed out the fake CO's from the real ones.....cause the Gov does require proof that you are a CO.

The current administration doesn't want a draft

Did you read the article? Current administration?
Anyways her kid was only 9 at the time and made the scrapbook in case she ever had to use it. If someone is trying to make a scrap book cause they are worrying about the current Admin then it's too late for them.
(unless you happen to have pictures of you at a rally from 15 years ago)

It's implying for parents to start now (when the kid is young) so they will have proof later on, like 11-15 years later on which will have a different administration bt that time.....hopefully.

It's talking about the future, planning ahead.

[edit on 1/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Draft is really not best solution, it's not good for military too to force someone to fight. I agree with Heinlein in this matter - draft is immoral and all soldiers should be volunteers, but who does not serve in military/national guard/other federal service will not have right to vote. Simple and effective.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Draft is really not best solution, it's not good for military too to force someone to fight. I agree with Heinlein in this matter - draft is immoral and all soldiers should be volunteers, but who does not serve in military/national guard/other federal service will not have right to vote. Simple and effective.

Ok, Thats is officially one of the dumbesy comments ive ever read

Ok, maybe not the most, but it's up there.

but who does not serve in military/national guard/other federal service will not have right to vote. Simple and effective

That's a bad idea. Here's what would happen.
Someone gets in office and builds up a rapore or a liking with the Fed/Military community. Pay increase, better benefits, better housing.
and so on. So naturally the Fed/Mil community are mostly gonna vote for him cause he is making life better for them. Meanwhile he could be doing a crappy job with the civilian side of things. Social security, Healthcare, Education and so on. But the people (the same people our military protects) are defenseless and cannot vote. Even though 2 terms is the max he could change that and stay cool with military and stay in office.

Anyways, let's just say we have 2 million people that are military and or working for the federal gov't. Come on, give me a break, 2 million people voting for the entire US.

What about the people who can't join the Mil or FED" like people in wheelchairs or with disabilities that impair them from doing so?

That's like saying only people with 3.5 or above grade point averages in high school can go to college, cause they've earned the right. as you put it: Simple and effective

The DOD is Americas largest employer, it would be too bias of a vote.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
While on this subject...WOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My only son is in the national Guard and signed on for a tour of Iraq, against his fathers wish's I might add, and has been waiting for his deployment papers.

Well, He only graduated from boot camp in march and his unit has been in Iraq for 18 months already so he was going to have to be assigned to another unit in order to go.

The unit he's assigned to came home last month and for the first time he actually met the commander of the unit, who promptly told him and the other newbies that had signed on for a tour, that they were idiots. He told them that the 39th had lost enough good men already in this stupid war and he wasn't going to sign the papers for their deployment.

He just got back from his weekend drills and i just learned this. I had to share it with someone and your it. Hope you don't mind.

It's a beautiful day here in Arkansas. The sun is shining, the birds are singing and my only son is no longer going off to war.

I hope your day was as fantastic as mine.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Wupy,

Thats GREAT news! I'm so happy for you man...

I can understand why some people would want to go to war... it would be exciting, adventuroous and all that... in fact i would join the Australian Defense Force if i believed in the cause of the war...

But i can also see the worry a parent would have if their only son wanted to go off and potentially get himself killed...

I'm glad your son wasnt allowed to go.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
yeah, im happy for you wupy, but if your son is adament about going he better watch his back out there. BTW

I think a draft is possible even if the majority of americans dont want it our politicians dont care, it's not them out there and it's not their sons. with our troops spread out in the middle east and the escalating situation in asia.

Hope for the best everyone.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I've prepared my children against the draft. I have told them to never vote for Democrats. Because looking back at recent history, it is Democrats that want the draft, and Republicans that don't.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I've prepared my children against the draft. I have told them to never vote for Democrats. Because looking back at recent history, it is Democrats that want the draft, and Republicans that don't.

I don't have kids so I may be looking at this from the wrong stand.
So your teaching your kids to base thier votes on which candidate is most likely to not push a draft? Thats the way I understood it.
Sorry if I got it wrong

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SportyMB

I don't have kids so I may be looking at this from the wrong stand.
So your teaching your kids to base thier votes on which candidate is most likely to not push a draft? Thats the way I understood it.
Sorry if I got it wrong

Exactly! It is the Democrats that are pushing for a draft.

I am also teaching my kids to rely on themselves, not government for a happy life.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thanks for the answer, I was just curious.

Back to this guys comment:

but who does not serve in military/national guard/other federal service will not have right to vote. Simple and effective.

That's like saying freedom of speechand freedom of religion should only be limited to those who serve in the military or Fed Gov't.....

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Wow, where are the bashing replies of how cowardly the commander is for saving some men? Who knows what the actual statements were on the commanders part, sorry Wupi, have to be biased on that.

If a commander of a unit did not believe in the war he was actively involved in - that man is not fit for command. He should step down. At the same time if every man were to hold to their integrity, wars like Iraq would quickly end. The saying goes, when you have made the people believe and obey what they know in the heart to be false, you have insured victory.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by vincere7
Wow, where are the bashing replies of how cowardly the commander is for saving some men? Who knows what the actual statements were on the commanders part, sorry Wupi, have to be biased on that.

I find your bias to be more then fine. I don't even care. I'm just tickled that my son isn't in the line up anymore. For the foreseeable future he is one weekend a month and two weeks out of the year.

Life is good.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Raising the next generation of cowards... and people wonder why this country isnt what it once was, its full of a bunch of chicken # liberal pansies.

This is just stupid, raising your kids to hate war because you hate this war.... Noone will disagree that war is a last resort and is a bloody game, but what the hell is this country going to do 10-20-30 years down the road, when our country truely needs a draft, ww3 or a ww4 when all hell is breaking loose, and this country calls on these young men and women to defend our homeland.. but they wont go/fight because they have been so brainwashed by the liberals who think this country got to be the #1 country in the world without paying alot in blood...

You dont like the draft in situations such as to day, and this war/s thats fine, but dont raise your kids to be so anti-war that they will not defend our home in the future..

[edit on 1-5-2005 by C0le]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
COle, I was saying that it's a good idea because it will help someone that truly is a CO.

In the military and even not in the military there are many people that (when called upon) pull the "Im a CO" card. And this card they pull is the first time they ever considered themselves to be a CO. (them people are the cowards)

And you have the people who are true, real life CO's. They have been all thier life and they truly believe war is bad, no matter who or what it is fought over. They are the real CO's and they have a right to not go to war.

As for the others who pull the CO card even though they are not...they are the real cowards and should be dealt with accordingly.

[edit on 1/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I am also teaching my kids to rely on themselves, not government for a happy life.

You should teach your kids how to live with a government that forces its people to rely on them.

Believing that any one party will protect your freedom is laughable.

[edit on 1-5-2005 by benign]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This article is by no means pointless. Just wait and see. WE cant take on the world with the already tired and overworked service men.

If the gov tells you so, they must have "other plans" to seduce you into fighting for their cause. Just wait and see.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 09:19 PM
link   
What does a 9 year old child know of war - Infact what does a cowardly anti war protestor who positioned their child as a political pawn at an anti war rally know of war.

You ask many of the people who are willing to go to war - they do so to protect their children so that their their children dont have to finish the job in the future.

These cowards make their forefathers and ancestors turn in their grave.

When your country calls you answer - if you dont act with unity you are no longer a nation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join