It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Latest Windows Security Update...DO NOT RUN

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
If you use Hotmail.

I've tried 6 ways to Sunday to fix this problem and no dice.

Basically, you'll get a message saying you don't have cookies enabled...no matter what your settings, etc.

It will keep you from accessing Hotmail.

Shy of waiting for them to fix the problem, can't see another way out of this, so if you're on XP and use Hotmail, I'd highly recommend waiting on any updates until they fix their "update"......

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Hey Gaz,

Sorry to hear your having trouble. You dont mention what the update number is, so I just did some basic research for you. I will see if I can find more. I will need the Micro$oft update number and your OS version if possible.

Experts exchange has a thread . Dont forget to scroll down below the ads to read the rest of the thread. The fix they talk about is near the bottom.

More info here

Opps, almost forgot.

Did you....

Open IE -->
Select Tools from the toolbar -->
Select Internet Options -->
Select Security tab -->
Select Trusted Sites -->
Select Sites -->
Select Add -->
Type in the page that wont load.

Best of luck

[edit on 1-5-2005 by makeitso]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This makes me wonder if Microsoft doesn't do this on purpose to force users to go out and eventually buy the latest versions of their software. It seems odd and maybe a conspiracy that MS' updates and software are so riddled full of flaws - after the fact.

I used IE for years with no problems until I downloaded Service Pack 6. After that, IE constantly crashed no matter if I even reformatted the HD and reinstalled the entire operating system.

I would seriously consider using Mozilla Firefox for your browser. It is tons better being reliable than IE and is practically identical in it's layout, so you will find it is just as easy to use. Plus, it is free.

Firefox homepage

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
That happened to me with Hotmail for a couple of days after I updated. I didn't know what the problem was either but then it just seemed to fix itself without updating anything else.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
MSN probably fixed it...kegs.

Hoping for the same again...

As for not using IE, I agree, but I use FrontPage (I'm lazy) for website maintenence, and switching browsers causes too many headaches with that...

Open IE -->
Select Tools from the toolbar -->
Select Internet Options -->
Select Security tab -->
Select Trusted Sites -->
Select Sites -->
Select Add -->
Type in the page that wont load.

Yep.

I also even tried accepting ALL cookies.
Deleted all cookies.
Uninstalled an Intermute program that was said to interfere.

Etc. etc. Tried all kinds of crap.
Hopefully it'll work when I get home, else I'm checking it only at work....

Dont forget to scroll down below the ads to read the rest of the thread. The fix they talk about is near the bottom.

That's for a different issue...thanks though.

It was the very latest Windows Update, around 4/29 timeframe.

[edit on 2-5-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ben91069
This makes me wonder if Microsoft doesn't do this on purpose to force users to go out and eventually buy the latest versions of their software. It seems odd and maybe a conspiracy that MS' updates and software are so riddled full of flaws - after the fact.

I think you are closer to the truth than you know. We saw it first with Win 95. As soon as Micro$oft shipped Win98, Win95 installations for many people started having problems. Now that XP/2000 is here, Win98 starts becoming unreliable and unsupported.

I suspect M$ of installing (or shipping via "update") intentional flaws in the OS so as to be able to "encourage" an upgrade to the newest version. I think the larger manufacturers don't have much of a problem with it because upgrading your OS usually means upgrading some or all of your hardware, especially since the newer versions of Windows are all about your hardware being on the Hardware Compatability List.

I have absolutely no proof of this, only 10 years of experience working on this bloat-ware. But, just wait until Windows 64 bit is out for a couple of years. All the 32 bit systems that have Windows on them will start crapping out. Call it an official prediction.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
I've got XP. This is the first time I've had a problem with these updates, unlike the horrors of 98.... No doubt Gates is the antichrist of course...

Still not working...and I have no clue why... Other than mucking around in the registry (which I'm not going to do), I'm lost on where to go from here... I'm usually fairly good at this, but if I hose it, my wife will kill me...

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
maybe this?

1) make sure cookies are enabled
2) make sure time and date are correct in windows
3) in internet options, hit "delete cookies"
4) in internet options, hit "delete files" and check "delete all offline content" then hit ok
5) restart explorer window

Microsoft Support....You Are Prompted to Enable Cookies When You Try to Use a .NET Passport or a Hotmail Web Site

[edit on 2-5-2005 by makeitso]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Just what update are we discussing? There were no April updates and the May updates are not available, at least, not to me.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 12:56 AM
link   
All I have to say is:

Ironic

Microsoft came up with a patch that no longer allows their webmail service to work. I love it!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Date was the first thing I tried...

It works today!

Seems to have been corrected though, as today I was able to log in just fine....go figure.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
A similar thing happened to me. I was using spyware doctor and it kept me from logging on to ATS because of potential dangerous content.......

new topics

top topics

join