It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Armoured and Armed Russian hovercraft

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 03:19 PM
link   
This craft is pretty crazy. Unlike the LCAC, this hovercraft is armed and the cargo is carried inside the craft. The craft is armed with two stabilised rocket launchers, four Igla-1M portable air defence missile systems and two AK-630 30mm automatic gun mounts.
The craft can carry 130 tons of cargo at a speed of 60 knots. For navigation the craft, which is called the Zubr, is equipped with two navigational radars, gyrocompass, magnetic compass, drift log, satellite navigation receiver, Decca receiver, radio direction finder, master gyroscope, and day and night vision drift sight. This craft is of a very advanced design. Do you guys think the US should design a craft like this?

Here are some pictures.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Wow, where can I get one of these?

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 03:49 PM
link   
They are built by Almaz Shipbuilding Joint Stock Company in Saint Petersburg. There have been 10 built since 1986. Just call them up, I sure they could hook you up.

One more thing. This ship can also lay active mine fields.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
ahh the zubr, nice

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Is this a troop transport? What exactly is the application for this fine looking vessel?
It obviously looks as if we could blow it out of the water fairly easy; especially if the fans are the only means of propulsion.

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:15 PM
link   
ah, I see, it is a transport. A VERY fast one too, is that 60 knots max. speed with a full load?

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:18 PM
link   
info about it can be found here:

www.naval-technology.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2003 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Oh boy!! Mondo cool. I would hate to have to replace the skirt on that monster.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I believe that you could call this craft a armoured fighting hovercraft.

posted on Jul, 29 2003 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I bought one yesterday. It's now in my swimming pool.

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 10:00 AM
link   
What would they do if the inflated skirt was damaged (ripped/pierced) by an attack at sea?

It seems as if it would be easy for an enemy to pierce the skirt and sink the craft with minimal effort, what kind of backup or defense do they have versus this scenario?

posted on Jul, 30 2003 @ 11:06 AM
link   
It looks like it has a little more protection than the US hovercraft. The armour looks like it goes over the side of the craft to protect the skirt a bit. Also the craft does have weapons, so it might be designed to fight off what could rip its skirt. I will look for more information about th eskirt and get back to you guys.

posted on Aug, 3 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   
I have not found much on the skirts of the hovercraft. Does anyone have info on them?

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
'Course, the obvious difference between this beast and the LCAC is that ou ain't gonna put one of these in the well deck of ANY ship out there. It would fill up the first three cargo tanks on a VLCC.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:58 PM
link   
Wow very cool looking!

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Attero Auctorita
What would they do if the inflated skirt was damaged (ripped/pierced) by an attack at sea?

It seems as if it would be easy for an enemy to pierce the skirt and sink the craft with minimal effort, what kind of backup or defense do they have versus this scenario?

The skirt is the most vulnerable part on a hovercraft.
Hovercrafts are built to float like a conventional boat when the skirt is deflated. So if the skirt gets damaged you can still go over water, but not land.

MINISUB

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 06:01 AM
link   
That is an incredible hovercraft, and to think Russia is still capable of keeping these running.

posted on Aug, 8 2003 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Here is a link to an experimental hovercraft anyone can make with a piece of plywood, some plastic and a leaf blower.

HOVERCRAFT PLANS 4 U

top topics

join