It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Public and War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I'm starting this thread, sorta as a mini-research project into the effect of war on the public, particularly the American public, and the media.

Let me start out with these questions:

1. What affects public opinion on war?
2. How accurate is media reporting on war?
3. Is media reporting purposely skewed, or was it skewed by those who report it to the media?
4. What cultural/social implications does war have?

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo

Seeing actual, factual coverage of it. To date, its been halfa$$ed at best.

The media has acted as cheerleader to the war, by and large. They have completely rolled over. It's somewhat difficult, though, considering the military has all but tied their hands. If you don't embed, you might just get dead.
(I say this as a vet and as someone who is in the msm.)

3. Is media reporting purposely skewed, or was it skewed by those who report it to the media?

Look into the censorship that began during the run-up to the Gulf War. That is when this skewed coverage began. Independent coverage of the Vietnam war pretty brought it to an end. So, the powers that be weren't about to let that go on in today's wars.

Rule #1: Whoever controls the info. controls the battlefield.

For many reasons the media will self - censor itself. Many have become targets for telling the truth; many have lost their jobs, or left in disgust b/c of it. It's sad. The media should absolutely be independent. But its not. The entire US mainstream media is owned by roughly 7 entities. If you want to see reall coverage of Iraq, you better get online. You're not gonna see the half of it in your daily paper.

Considering the whole rationale for the invasion of Iraq was bogus (WMD), and the US has been implicated in wholesale torture of innocents, I'd say our nation has a lot to answer for. If we don't hold our civilian and military leadership responsible for the crimes committed on their watch, we will all one day be held to account for letting it happen.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Having done a fraction of academic research on this subject, perhaps these will help you, sweatmonicaIdo.
War, Propaganda and the Media

Also more here:
War, Propaganda, and the Media

This:
The Media: Vietnam War

More here:
The Media: Vietnam War
The Media: World War I
The Media: World War II
The Media: the Iraq War

And:
The Effects of Media on War

More here:
The effects of Media on War

I have a number of academic library sources [JSTOR, other online journals, ebooks, etc. but will require that you have a college access psw and name on file], as well, but these above will give you a good start in any type of objective research you may be doing or will do.......again, if objectivity is your overall goal and purpose.

seekerof

[edit on 1-5-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Ok, im answering assuming you mean war in general and not just Iraq.

Maybe the reason(s) why the war was started.
If you like the man in office you'll most likely agree with the war and
that goes the other way around too.

Pretty accurate these days, every war it seems to get better and better.

Yes and No. It depends on where (what country/region) is doing the reporting and what the media target is. In the US the Media is not that skewed. If it were than many people, reporters and exec's would speak up. We would have alot higher numbers of cases liek this than we have now.

Budget loss, Cost major $$$, Moral in some cases (as an army and a nation), Brings people together in there "social" groups but also divides and creates the social gruops (like a college campus)

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thanks for your responses, ECK and Sporty.

ECK, when I said cultural and social, I meant more like how does a war affect our suburban communities, schools, everything from entertainment to social lives?

Let me be hypothetical and rephrase the question. What kind of war would the U.S. have to be involved in for the primary conversation topic at the dinner table every night to be that war?

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
What?!
Woozers.....went to all the trouble to link my own research information [links] and no mention of thanks for that?

Wooohooo, interesting, but no biggie.
Wasn't expected but...
Definately learn something new everyday.

Your welcome, sweatmonicaIdo.
:shk:

seekerof

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Just an add on from my last post about the social and cultural
implications of war:

Also people and indusrtries make money off of it. for example now they are making at least 3 movies that I know of about Iraq and countless books have been published. During war (especially now) people tend to go more to the extreme of what they are or where they stand. more outspoken. Supporters tend to act more supportive, Oppossers will be more oppossing...I hope that make sense. I didint wanna say Liberals are more liberal and conservitives are more conservitive but that's what it boils down to.

But yeah, movies are big...we all love movies.

[edit on 1/5/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
What I find interesting is just how war can dramatically affect how people work and live. It seems like a war can destroy families, friendships. Things like prejudice and racism seem to spike in war.

What exactly in a war affects culture and society? Is it always the cause, or is there other things involved?

Besides The Battle of Fallujah, what other movies on the Iraq War are coming out?

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Here ya go:
Try using this [linked below], because if your research was legit versus simply being subjective, the very limited responses your getting, as good as they are, simply do not constitute a real and sufficient "mini-research project", let alone having any validity.
Google

Btw, you going to publish or post the results of this on ATS? Cause I seriously want to read it when you finish this "mini-research project."

seekerof

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It's actually kind of impossible to be objective, because I'm basically just gathering opinions here. That's why it's a "mini-research" project. It's more for my own personal knowledge than anything else.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

1.What affects public opinion on war?

I think the most basic emotion that drives public opinion is fear. If people feel threatened by an external source they will support war. If they fear the risks of war more than they fear an external threat then they will not support war.

In the US it's generally shallow. It's always either flag waving or fear mongering. There's often no effort to question the policies that lead to war until after the fact , there is no examination of the long term consequences, no real look at casuallties on both sides, and there is no attempt to explain or understand the military's tactics or strategy in a serious way.

3.Is media reporting purposely skewed, or was it skewed by those who report it to the media?

It's skewed by the media to reflect what the audience wants to see. The media is driven by profit. they make a profit by selling news. People tend to want to see what they want instead of the truth. CNN and Fox Do a lot of Flag waving because that's what most Americans want to see. News services in the Middle east and Europe skew the news in a light most accpeted to their audiences for the same reason.

It fuels fear and nationalism in many people. A dangerous combination.

cjf

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
What I find interesting is just how war can dramatically affect how people work and live. It seems like a war can destroy families, friendships. Things like prejudice and racism seem to spike in war.

What exactly in a war affects culture and society? Is it always the cause, or is there other things involved?

This is a very interesting topic for discussion, you must look at different cultures, perhaps to cultural anthropolgy studies. Example
War could be considered a rite of intensification, but I believe we, as species, revert to an instinctive programmed social role of ‘survival of our group’ which leads to self survival and propagation of our basic genetic line and/or culture. Looking at how a war affects a given culture, you might look to how a culture relates to war through combative sports.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 01:18 AM
link   
wow

everyone has made very intelligent informed statements about this
this is why ATS is #1

as a whole this website gives the best information on many topics

we have viewpoints from all extremes and the middle; and nothing is hidden; the only thing censored that i know of is "rude" things, and even alot of them are tolerated

like many have said; you must balance all of these views into your own unique perspective; and truely this place fosters that

sorry i was off subject there but that was my sort of applause for the ATS community

ATS beats CNN FOX ABC NBC CBS PBS etc etc daily

but now to the subject

1.What affects public opinion on war?

I think everyone in the thread said it better than I could. I cant think of anything to add other than; I have nothing to add .

Like said earlier; its definatly more accurate than it was in the past.
But it isnt perfect either; its progressive; but its still controlled to an extent and certain things are censored for various reasons. The media is definatly favoring some things over others. I cannot argue agianst the statement that they appear quite nationalistic often. They can easily be blamed for "adding gasoline to the fire" when wars start; the recent Iraq war is a good example. Every media outlet on the planet poured "gasonline on the fire" in Iraq War II. And its still going on...

3.Is media reporting purposely skewed, or was it skewed by those who report it to the media?

Delta 38 said it better than I can; his post is right above mine

Alot of the Social and Cultural parts die when the people who create those parts have their heads blown off. Literally.
Statements like "Alot of people die" and "We all get screwed" ring quite true. An few old adage/maxims go like this
" In war everyone loses"
"The only people war hurts is those who get killed in it"
"In peace sons bury their fathers, in war fathers bury their sons"
"You live by the sword you die by the sword"

Basically the only "direct" cultural/social implication is death. Death of bodies, death of citys, death of nations, death of economys, death of the land and its life *look at photos of WWI or WWII the devastation is total*
Death of All
That is true war

We should all be very thankful that our current modern wars are
1)Limited in scale
2)Conventional (as oppsosed to nuclear , chemical, biological)
3) Not in our own backyard
4) Have minor death tolls

Iraq war death tolls of 1600 usa, 20,000 to 50,000 iraqi ,
ill estimate 40,000 total to be fair;

in comparison to World War II
ive seen many estimates in the ballpark of 35-65 million
a fair estimate would be 50 million dead

post modern wars like today are minuture in comparison to the all out slaughter and hell-on-earth of yesterday
it was a bloodbath

todays wars in comparison are just minor skirmishes

the last big war to my knowledge was Rwanda where several million died
it didnt get half the coverage of this smaller iraq war
most people dont care about Africa for the most part; its very underlooked

The media can easily be blamed for that; they just dont care about Africa.

im going to end this here before i ramble everyone to idiocy lol...
great job ATS keep it up

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Keep the responses coming.

This has got to be the best, most civil thread I have participated in a long time. This thread should be designated "Marquee ATS."

new topics

top topics

join