It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Floods Cause Deadly Crocodile Attacks

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Ethiopia is generally in the news due to deaths caused by widespread drought, however, recent heavy rainfalls have caused deaths of a different kind. In the village of Kelafo there have been at least 8 reported deaths from crocodile attacks due to flooding and burst river banks. Many people are reported to have drowned, the exact toll is unknown.

www.abc.net.au
Ethiopian authorities on Friday pleaded for help in dealing with devastating floods that have swept through the country's south-east as the death toll from water and crocodiles rose to at least 107.

At least 99 people have drowned in the flooding that began at the weekend and another eight have been devoured by crocodiles that have taken to the raging waters of the Wabe Shebell river since it burst its banks on Saturday, officials said.

"We need some support mainly in small boats to move people to safe and high lands, more blankets, plastic sheeting and cooking utensils, including cups and plates," said the regional disaster chief of Ethiopia's south-eastern Somali state, 1,380 kilometre from Addis Ababa.

In one area alone, near Kelafo in Somali state's Godie district, eight people were eaten by crocodiles and seven washed away by the waters which submerged 84 villages and, the official, Abdullahi Mahdi, told AFP

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The authorities have called on humanitarian organisations to assist with the many homeless villagers already suffering from a government with a shocking human rights record.

Lets hope an election planned for 15 May to elect a new parliament and regional councils will not be too badly effected.

Related News Links:
story.africaleader.com

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Update

At least 24 of the flood victims are children, many of whom were swept away while sleeping, and crocodiles have eaten 19 people, Remedan said. "We are still finding bodies."

Many villages remain cut off, hampering relief efforts, while flooding has destroyed at least 84 villages, he said.

Weather forecasters are predicting continued thunderstorms in the rain-battered region, about 700 km south-east of the capital, Addis Ababa. Aid workers say that food, plastic sheeting and clean water are beginning to get through to survivors, but that more is needed to prevent disease spreading.

story.africaleader.com...

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Unfortunatley I fail to see as how this is materially for the ATSNN. This story is quite unfortunate, yes, and it's important for people to know about it but I don't think it constitutes for this news network.

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I also fail to what this has to do with being above top secret at all.....places flood, and crocodiles eat people....no big mystery here its almost like there just posting third world horror stories as secret news or something

posted on May, 2 2005 @ 10:39 AM
link   
To be completely honest:
I've really only seen perhaps 2-3 news posts a day on this site in the last two weeks. News stories such as this one, (That I normally wouldn't have heard anything about) don't really hurt anything. At least it gives us something to read while waiting for the next big post.

top topics

join